FM9 with iOS - usb audio?

Headless68

Is it possible to send and return audio over usb to an iPad ? I know this is possible to a Mac or pc but for live portability I want to use iPad (specifically to run a DI out into midi guitar2 app and trigger synths on the iPad and return the output to mix with the FM9 signal chain & main out )

Is it possible to send and return audio over usb to an iPad ? I know this is possible to a Mac or pc but for live portability I want to use iPad (specifically to run a DI out into midi guitar2 app and trigger synths on the iPad and return the output to mix with the FM9 signal chain & main out )
I know you can send audio from an iOS device to a current fractal device over usb. I do it with an iPhone and iPad all the time to rehearse.

I don’t know if it goes the other way but it would make sense.

That’s very helpful - I was hopeful a one cable solution was possible also but I do have a positive grid riff interface - will give it all a try

That’s very helpful - I was hopeful a one cable solution was possible also but I do have a positive grid riff interface - will give it all a try
I updated my post... Still not working for me.

If you have luck, please share what you did.

Dear unix-guy, have you been able to acces all 8x8 USB connections provided by FM9 with your iPad? I asked Fractal support team, but they answer this < While our products do reportedly work with iPads, this isn't officially supported. We can't make any statements or claims in terms of compatibility, I'm sorry.>
On the iPad, I use Cubasis3 for playing backing track over USB and Loopy Pro for recording and playing back the processed signal of m’y guitar. I want to buy the FM9, so I want to make shure my iPad (actually running IOS 17.1.1) will acces the all 8x8 USB connections provided by FM9. I tested that setup with an Helix LT and it worked but I would prefer by far to buy an FM9

Dear unix-guy, have you been able to acces all 8x8 USB connections provided by FM9 with your iPad? I asked Fractal support team, but they answer this < While our products do reportedly work with iPads, this isn't officially supported. We can't make any statements or claims in terms of compatibility, I'm sorry.>
On the iPad, I use Cubasis3 for playing backing track over USB and Loopy Pro for recording and playing back the processed signal of m’y guitar. I want to buy the FM9, so I want to make shure my iPad (actually running IOS 17.1.1) will acces the all 8x8 USB connections provided by FM9. I tested that setup with an Helix LT and it worked but I would prefer by far to buy an FM9
Sorry, I don't use it with anything that can utilize more than the standard Input/Output so I can't help... If you know of a free app that I could test with, I could give it a quick test.

Thanks for your help I realy appreciate it. You can try with "Cubasis 3 LE". At the welcome screen, on the right you have the trial option. This option has some features locked (hope it is not the case for USB 3x4 5x6 7x8). The app will load a demo project having 7 tracks. The 3 first are midi and the last 4 are audio. Just select any audio track, the menu on the left side of the screen will show you under the "routing" option the available USB channels.Since ipad can support up to 24 USB channels in each way (in/out), those that are not available will be displayed in shadow mode.

Sorry, the options to choose anything besides 1/2 are locked in the trial...

But I do see options for 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8...

I have no idea of that's because of the FM9 or not but when I disconnect they go away so that's a pretty solid clue.

Thank for your help. I wrote to the Steinberg company to find out if channels 3x..8 are locked in the Trial version. Waiting for there answer. I'm quite confident that FM9 supports 8x8 channels on iPad, as the specs say it is USB 2 class compliant. Can you tell what is your USB buffer size on your own setup. This will give me a good idea of the latency I should expect from FM9. Loopy Pro also has 7-days free trial. It is a great loop station, if you still want to give it a try (no pressure here). And thanks again for all your help.
My sincere greetings.

Yes that’s it, but like Fractal exaggerates a little in the FM9 specs when they say it supports midi over USB, I’m a little worried about the so-called USB class compliant. Which obviously is not a problem with the AxeFX III. And the test done by unix-guy didn’t work because the trial version of Cubasis LE does have a 2-channels limit on audio in and out (just confirmed by Steinberg compagny). Thanks every one

Yes that’s it, but like Fractal exaggerates a little in the FM9 specs when they say it supports midi over USB,
Who told you that's an exaggeration? Of course the FM9 supports midi over USB.

I’m a little worried about the so-called USB class compliant.
Yes, it's class-compliant. If you're worried you can't use more than stereo in/out over usb on the FM9, your worries are unfounded.

Midi over USB works only one way (daw to fm9) and no pass trough usb to midi out 5 din connector. Multi-channels over USB, I believe you, it should work, even if Fractal doesn’t want to make any statement about it when connected to an IOS device.

Back
Top Bottom