FM9 will bring me back! Best mid gain amps and tricks??

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I have been around this forum and using Fractal on/off since 2011. Mostly playing a real Slo30 and Bogenr Helios these days

One of my difficulties is most rock amps need a lot of gain to sound full. I have tried and tried to back them down but they always began to sound thin and not really useable.
I know this will trigger a ration of scorn here, but maybe can we use this thread to share what amps and tricks to use to get close to this ultra hard rock tone?
For me the BE's sound super dark (more so than the real ones), the Slo's are super thin and full of presence but based on the Leon vid below it looks like I need to revisit them! The 5150 Blue is a tone of gain -real ones allow you to find some lower gain rock setting with clarity. What are some others that I should try? Copers Silver job was ok, in the past trying them resulted in ear fatigue from the amount of top end included

Lastly the FM3 was way too small of a footprint for me despite adding a 2 button switcher to allow for a tuner off the FM3 it just was not big enough to navigate live. The FM9 is nails it, like the Ax8. I can actually have enough buttons for the scenes or whatever they are called now.

Again this thread is for sharing how you have achieved killer mid gain pre sets and what amps and techniques you've applied to get there

Here is a the bench mark

And here's the helios

Last edited:
My definition of "mid" and "hi" gain is probably much different than most.

Almost every "hi gain" preset I've tried feels dry and weak compared to how I like it (super saturated). For me, a cranked Tube Screamer in front of a 5150/6505 with the gain around 2am is just right for medium gain. Peels paint off the walls. I kick the input gain on the model up for lead tones about 4-5db

Agreed most think of mid gan as a JTM or something but my above statements are based on no mid gain pre sets being 120% to much saturation.

For those amps, keep turning up the master until you find the sweet spot, it will be noticeable, and the set the level where you need it.

also twist the input gain and trim until you find the magic combo. If the gain is too dark, turn up the trim

FAS BrownSound Plexi works great from edge of breakup all the way to higher gain rock tones for me. Truth is, there are loads of amps in this box that will get every variation of mid-gain tones you can imagine.

What do you consider mid gain?

From my perspective the plexi types fit that bill well but might not be what you want at all. I like both the 6550 and 6CA7 models. For a different flavor the Wrecker Rocket is another good choice.
Awesome thanks guys was thinking something like a Nick johnston type of gainy but not saturated not his exact tone or anything but something kinda like it

Cliff talks about the issue of gain and amps/modelers not acting the same in some of the tech notes. There are a couple different AMP settings under the covers in the modeler that can help, but, in my experience, mostly volume and acoustic-feedback from the speaker to the guitar through the pickups and back to the amp then speaker, is what helps. That cycle adds gain without needing to turn up the amp's gain, and it helps boost the midrange of the guitar.

The "Modelers Don't Clean Up with the Volume Knob" Myth

Some amps sound thin at lower volumes because they rely on power-amp distortion and once the power amp is working hard the sound gets much fatter. Amps that rely on pre-amp distortion will get too fat when their power amp is pushed that hard. In either case, adjusting the tone and gain at bedroom volume will result in a sound that doesn't translate as well to stage volume because of that coupling, which is why we're told to do our adjustments at real volumes and especially not using headphones because you can't get that needed coupling.

The guitar's construction can make a big difference. My solid-bodies don't react as much to the coupling and change their sound as my semi-hollow, so I have to be careful when I roll up that guitar's volume or it'll get too dark. Pickups make a difference of course, but I really like how my Strats and PRS 509 and Studio sound on the same settings as my humbucker-equipped guitars. They all get fatter, they'll get a good crunch and lead sound but they still reflect the difference in their pickups.

And then there are cabs and IRs, which can make one model too thick but a different IR will make that amp sound great. I have been very happy with stock settings when I find an cab/IR I like.

I don't think there's one magic cure-all, it's wandering through different things and trying them until you hit the magic formula that works for you.

Check out the Fryette D60. Also what are you running through? I would guess you want a power amp and real cabinet with no cab block in the chain.

Last edited:
Embarrassed to admit I recently discovered the Cornford MK50 for this purpose never having really given it the time of day on my AxeIII responds really well to the volume knob or drives

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I'll check em out theres a lot of amps I dont give the time of day to also but I've been exploring alot lately I just run direct and I'm still using the axe fx 2 I love it though

Embarrassed to admit I recently discovered the Cornford MK50 for this purpose never having really given it the time of day on my AxeIII responds really well to the volume knob or drives
That’s a great amp. Is there a model of it in here? I haven’t noticed.

I'm stuck with two amps as setted on Factory Presets: the Vibrato Verb that comes in the "Sultans" preset, and the Jumped Plexi that comes in the "Yngwie" preset.
I've tried many others, but cannot move away from that two.

Back
Top Bottom