FM9 vs FM3 vs AX8 vs Pedals/amps *Plus* FRFR vs Cab on Tube power amp vs SS power amp

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
IMG_5215.JPGIMG_5214.JPG

I'm about to dive in to this mess. Aaaarghh! Call it cork-sniffing or whatever, but it's fun now and then to do these A/B comparisons of various things for my own ears, to update my own impressions and see if anything has evolved (the tech, or my own personal tastes).

New FM9 just arrived! It will clearly displace the FM3, but I hung onto my AX8 since I could never quite get comfortable using FM3 in the live band context on only 3 switches. Pretty sure I'll be letting go of AX8 and FM3 soon, but it's fun to line up all three Fractals for now.

As always, I benchmark against the ole tube amps n pedals. Gotta A/B and reference back to my vintage Fender baseline to make sure I'm still keeping it real. For the live band and to this day it's still really REALLY hard to beat those old tube beasts. Recording is another story, Fractal won out many years ago. I don't have the treated room, mics, preamp channels or the volume permission to record those amps in all their glory.

I wouldn't say the same has been true in my experience. I will admit I've been spoiled by some otherworldly FRFR systems though.
My RCF NX speakers also hold their own against (and often exceed) tube amps though.

Wow yeah you’re spoiled. Haha.

I am just running my FM9 though the FX loops of a pair of EVH 50w heads and I think I’d put that up against any amps I’ve played (admittedly limited experience though).

I did not have the same experience with FRFR cabs or with a SS power amp and real cab. That was with the AxeFX II though so far from apples to apples. Those setups were really good but the new setup just does it.

Wow yeah you’re spoiled. Haha.

I am just running my FM9 though the FX loops of a pair of EVH 50w heads and I think I’d put that up against any amps I’ve played (admittedly limited experience though).

I did not have the same experience with FRFR cabs or with a SS power amp and real cab. That was with the AxeFX II though so far from apples to apples. Those setups were really good but the new setup just does it.
This is close to my experience. I've run with all types going back to my Axe-Fx Ultra, and they can ALL work. But Fractal into tube amp loop return can be amazeballs.

My gig backline amp for a long time was this Friedman Dirty Shirley combo... except I ended up liking it better with AX8 into the loop return. So the DS was only a power amp and speaker cab. I know that's ridiculous :). Friedman fans would cry sacrilege but hey, better is better!

A776BDC7-76D6-4943-ACF4-9D44AD6C3E75.jpeg

...when monitoring my Fractal Audio gear through ______________.
I have a Neo CLR. For years I've wanted and wished I could be completely satisfied in the band practice room using nothing but the Fractal and the CLR. It's REALLY REALLY GOOD and very close now (since Cygnus), but still... not quite. I could easily live with it.

Also, I'm a weekend band guy not doing really big shows only small venue things - occasionally. All my gear options are just my own personal fun :). Ironically, if I was still doing regular big shows I would choose all FRFR all the time. Best way to get guitar into PA the way I want people to hear it. Most of my band time since Covid is just practice/jamming, or small venue where the crowd really hears the stage sounds as part of the 'mix', and the PA is primarily for vocals.

Back
Top Bottom