FM9 USB too hot?? Austin Buddy Live Gold Presets

bigswifty

Inspired
Hey everyone,

First off - this is NOT a knock on Austin Buddy's presets. His stuff is absolutely phenomenal!

But I do have a strange issue. If I try and record my FM9 over USB, the levels are coming in HOT. I've attached a pic for reference.
I have followed all instructions in the user manual for his presets, so all should be set well. The input light tickles red on the unit itself.
But I know his presets are supposed to come in levelled at -12dB, so this shouldn't be the expected results, right?

Oddly enough, changing the physical Output 1 knob and changing the Output Level from +4dBu to -10dBu affects the playback volume but not the recorded levels.
I even tried lowering the USB 1/2 and 3/4 levels in the I/O menu which didn't seem to affect the recorded signal either.

Very strange.. any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• AB Preset hot.png
    AB Preset hot.png
    141 KB · Views: 40
Having a similar question regarding the SPDIF output. Have to set SPDIF in on my FX3 to -18dB to get normal levels into it from the FM9 while the FM9 shows about 0dB out on its output leveling meters in FM9Edit.

Having a similar question regarding the SPDIF output. Have to set SPDIF in on my FX3 to -18dB to get normal levels into it from the FM9 while the FM9 shows about 0dB out on its output leveling meters in FM9Edit.

Hopefully someone can chime in to help you! I have no experience with SPDIF.
I wouldn't call that hot. That’s pretty close to ideal, and well short of clipping. Those controls you’re referring to have no effect on the usb output levels.

Edit: This is explained pretty well in Yek’s I/O levels guide.
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Setting_levels

Thanks for the link. On the Output Block page from the wiki, under the section "Setting and viewing levels", I found this:

"When you hit the red line in the meters, you're still 12dB away from clipping. "

That's the bit of info I needed. I think I tripped out seeing the waveform square off, and then went on a quest to discover what was going on..
Only to later realize, I still had my waveforms set to increased (visually) from a prior editing session. Set it back to ground 0 and it is all good!

Back
Top Bottom