FM9 USB port replacement

Dennis01

The 2 prongs on the inside of my USB port seem to be worn out - and therefore the cable connection is extremely loose and unreliable. Does anybody have advice on how to do this and where I should get another decent quality USB port to replace the current one on my FM9? I'm guessing I might need to solder something (not really my thing) - but I'm sure I could find someone to do it for me.

Thanks! Dennis

After doing a bit of searching - it seems this is a common problem -
The USB port just fell into the unit. This is definitely a design flaw since the USB port is used for the editor as well as something very important - RECORDING with the option of re-amping. I'm always careful when I walk around the USB cable (I try to remember to take my shoes off, but often that is not practical). FAS says I can send it back to them - it would only be $50 repair - but then of course there is shipping and insuring the unit. I'm wondering if a local computer repair shop that is decent would be a safe choice. Ian from FAS support (who has been very helpful) wrote me "It has 6 pins in total all need solder, 4 in a very small area that needs to be done delicately as to not damage the board which would prevent USB from working any more even with a new port."

I found this thread to be informative - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/white-conector-usb-port-fell-into-the-fm9.182013/

Any advice - ship it back to FAS or someone local?

After doing a bit of searching - it seems this is a common problem -
The USB port just fell into the unit. This is definitely a design flaw since the USB port is used for the editor as well as something very important - RECORDING with the option of re-amping. I'm always careful when I walk around the USB cable (I try to remember to take my shoes off, but often that is not practical). FAS says I can send it back to them - it would only be $50 repair - but then of course there is shipping and insuring the unit. I'm wondering if a local computer repair shop that is decent would be a safe choice. Ian from FAS support (who has been very helpful) wrote me "It has 6 pins in total all need solder, 4 in a very small area that needs to be done delicately as to not damage the board which would prevent USB from working any more even with a new port."

I found this thread to be informative - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/white-conector-usb-port-fell-into-the-fm9.182013/

Any advice - ship it back to FAS or someone local?
I would highly recommend shipping back to FAS. I suppose a local provider could do it, but what happens if they mess up? At least (judging by others who have used FAS support) if they (FAS) mess it up they’ll make it right on their dime.

Since soldering is involved, I would definitely bite the bullet and send to FAS to have it done. I'm having a similar issue with the plug for the power cable. Disconnecting requires a grip that holds the housing in place.

On a side note, this reminds me of a common problem in the DSLR/Mirrorless Camera world. Lots of 3D printed cable-securing options have been made available due to the exact same problem with USB, HDMI, and their micro versions. Perhaps someone in the community has the skill and time to design and sell a cable clamp that could attach the FM9's chassis in a non-permanent way.

This happened to a friend's Axe-Fx III, and he tried to replace it himself. He then gave it to me to try. It was not repairable anymore.

Long story, short.. Fractal had to replace the whole circuit board because of the damage. Send it to Fractal Audio.

Back
Top Bottom