FM9 unseats this Axe Fx III patron<

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Doing this fo rthose that have Axe Fx III's and are worried about this thing, live. So for me the FM9 does it for me live. Period. I have added the superfluous FC12, just because I own already, and it is fun to have have more buttons. BUT the FC12 is not needed really. I do use a Digitech pitch detune pedal just because it works and it is easy. Also there is only 1 pitch block and I like mine after preamp for Pitch versus before the amp for Virtual Capo use. The FM9 is brilliant live and truly is a stallion of the lot of competitors out there. ZERO glitches libe running 77-83% cpu live(2 shows that are 4 sets of 45 minutes each). I use a Boss FV500 and a Mission spring loaded exp pedals.

What do I miss about the Axe Fx 3?

Not much, for me at least. I had to rid my Axe Fx III patches of extra bullshit that I did not need in there really. Doing this was satisfying to recreate with less. Mind you not much less (took out things like Multi Comp, Enhancer and a few other "niceties"). I miss the pedal jacks not doing dual function for buttons. I miss global amps that you can put together to easily effect all your amp blocks (I use 2 amp blocks with 8 possible channels/amps, but only 1 at a time). It would still be nice to see improvements with the above mentioned, if it is software doable. Obviously hardware is another issue.

The freedom and ease for me is everything. I just got an FM3 for home use, quick rehearsal/jam and then a small backup for live. The FM9 stays and I am selling my main Axe Fx 3, already sold my backup. I still would buy a full fledged FM12 with all the power of the Axe Fx III, but this'll do, this'll do nicely for nowB038B1A7-22A6-4DD0-8FB2-E140926E7E00_1_105_c.jpeg.

I absolutely agree with you that the FM9 is fully capable of taking the place of the A3 for live performance. The majority of my A3 live presets run at 50%-60% in that unit and translate over to upper 70's% on the FM9. I've had no glitches at all.
Also found that I had some superfluous blocks in some of these presets that I didn't need that I've removed. While the FM3 is capable, I much more enjoy the FM9 in a live setting. I won't be parting with the A3 because of what I can do with it when I want/need to, but the FM9 has proven to be a great replacement for the A3 live. Portable with all the capabilities I need.

Back
Top Bottom