FM9 Turbo Problem, cant save config settings, like naming my device.

10goo

Hello, and thanks in advance for reading
I have encountered a problem with my new FM9 Turbo... my FM9 will not save "config" changes that I make in FM9 edit. Example, after I have selected my changes, like naming my device, or turning ON "copy output 1" on output 2. The FM9 holds these settings for as long as I dont turn OFF the device... But once I turn off the FM9, then turn it back on, all my changes have reverted to their original state. However, any changes that I made to my presets ARE still saved, also any cabs I loaded are present... ONLY the configuration settings I made to the unit revert, to their original state. PS I tried making some changes on the device itself (bypassing FM9 edit) and still the unit failed to hold my config changes... Thanks for reading Charles

From what I can tell the FM9 has a battery CR2032 onboard for system backup. My guess it probably got jolted pretty hard in shipping and maybe slipped out of place. I'd contact support. If what I'm saying is correct, they'll probably guide you through how to check.

Charles,
It may be that the Config accepts only 7 characters for the device name; any more than that it will reject. You could use you initials and FM9, as an example...

Be sure to exit Setup before you quit FM9-Edit; doing so should retain your Config/Audio settings, otherwise, open a service ticket with FAS Support...

Also, what @biskitboy said...

Just a note, the FM3 and FM9 manual mentions a battery. One of the posts by Cliff mentions the FM3 doesn't have a battery but uses an EEPROM.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-wont-save-settings.160615/#post-1923380

Sounds like the manual for the FM3 might not be correct. The Axe Wiki shows the FM3 doesn't have a battery but the FM9 does. Seems like you might be the first person that can answer this question for good for us. :)

Last edited:
Update. (spoiler, the battery wasn't the issue)
With the guidance of forum members, it was suggested that my battery might have come loose, or perhaps was DOA. So I went ahead and opened up a service ticket. Kevin got back to me and told me to, go ahead and open up my FM9, so that I could check the battery voltage and weather it was properly seated to conduct electrons. Well the voltage was 3.25V, and it was firmly in its place (so not the issue). Anyway, after closing up my FM9, I tried to save changes again (just in case something fell into place), BUT NOPE, my FM9 Turbo still fails to retain any of the config settings that I make, and it doesn't save the devise name that I enter. UGH, I guess that I would have been lucky, if it was so simple.
Thanks people

I recall there was a previous case like this where there was a drop of solder in the battery bay that prevented the battery from functioning.

I'm assuming you'll be sending it in?

Update. (spoiler, the battery wasn't the issue)
With the guidance of forum members, it was suggested that my battery might have come loose, or perhaps was DOA. So I went ahead and opened up a service ticket. Kevin got back to me and told me to, go ahead and open up my FM9, so that I could check the battery voltage and weather it was properly seated to conduct electrons. Well the voltage was 3.25V, and it was firmly in its place (so not the issue). Anyway, after closing up my FM9, I tried to save changes again (just in case something fell into place), BUT NOPE, my FM9 Turbo still fails to retain any of the config settings that I make, and it doesn't save the devise name that I enter. UGH, I guess that I would have been lucky, if it was so simple.
Thanks people
Did you take any photos of the internals? I’d be interested in seeing how it’s constructed and what space is left inside..

@blaggers... I do have a couple pictures, is it ok to post them, or is it against the rules? PS, it may be silly to ask, but I'm new here :)
As it may prevent others opening theirs, I think they should see it as ok ;)
I've seen FM3 guts on The Gear Page too.
But guarantees I don't have... Nice to ask.
BTW, a Chucklehead famously opened the III on YouTube, "destroyed" the unit, and was not sued (AFAIK). He did remove a part of his vid — maybe to prevent that. The guts are still there though.

Last edited:
@blaggers ... their is maybe .5" to 1.5" inch between top and PCB. The LCD, potentiometers and stomp switches are mounted to the top, 4 x ribbon cables connect them to the PCB board, which is mounted to the base. There is a small area to the left 3" X 9" where the transformer and power filtering is located. And another half inch an the right side. The transformer and filtering doesn't take up the whole area, this component is maybe 2"x 5". All measurements are APPROXIMATE. PS its very possible that the unused area is critical to cooling...

Last edited:
I’ve posted a pic of the inside of my AXEFX 3 to show how the cooling fan was mounted so should be ok. I’m not planning to put anything in there- as an engineer I’m just interested in how they mount the bits from an assembly, repair and cooling point of view- I expect the fm9 has much more in it that the axefx3 as it has all the switch gear as well.

Back
Top Bottom