FM9 Switches Help

Is there a tutorial or a thread I can use to help me with my FM9? I'm sure it can be done but I seem to be struggling to find what I need. When I have a preset I love...how do I set up my FM9 so the switches are assigned to turn on/off specific effects within the loaded scene? I'm sure it's doable. I just can't seem to find the right tutorial or thread to help me.

Thanks in advance!

Is there a tutorial or a thread I can use to help me with my FM9? I'm sure it can be done but I seem to be struggling to find what I need. When I have a preset I love...how do I set up my FM9 so the switches are assigned to turn on/off specific effects within the loaded scene? I'm sure it's doable. I just can't seem to find the right tutorial or thread to help me.

Thanks in advance!
This is a deeper topic than you might think. For what I think you're describing, you'll want to look into per-preset switches. I know it's not fun, but the manual really is helpful and straight forward. Also, Leon Todd has some incredible tutorials on YouTube that I can almost guarantee you'll find useful.

Here are some YouTube videos that may be helpful:
Cooper Carter consults with Fractal artists and helps them program their Fractal devices. He has many videos posted on YouTube. He also have a programming master class for the FM3, FM9, and AxeFX3. The master classes cost some money, but they offer comprehensive instruction that is well worth cost. Following is one of Cooper's YouTube videos.

Leon Todd (Fractal user ID: 2112) is also a tremendous resource. Here is one of Leon's free YouTube videos:

Perform a YouTube search for both Cooper Carter and Leon Todd to find a wealth of great information on Fractal products. There are a number of other folks with great videos as well, but I am familliar with Cooper and Leon, and both offer consistently top notch content.

how do I set up my FM9 so the switches are assigned to turn on/off specific effects within the loaded scene? I'm sure it's doable
All effects in a preset are in ALL scenes.

A scene is merely the ON/OFF and channel selection state of every block in the preset.

Learning what Layouts are and how they work is important to understanding switch assignments.

All Layouts are global, but can have per-preset overrides - up to 24 switches per preset can override any switch in any layout.

How you ultimately arrive at your setup will greatly depend on your own personal needs.

I just can't seem to find the right tutorial or thread to help me.

You want the Fractal Audio Footswitch Functions Guide.

See this post for a handy reference to all the manuals:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/rtfm-read-the-fine-manual.159203/

You have complete control of where blocks are assigned in the FC/FM system. If you have certain blocks in every preset, you can configure them in the FM9 switches globally (assign each block to a switch). For effects/blocks that aren't in every preset, use 'Per-Preset Placeholders' to reserve switches for use with the less commonly used blocks in different presets.

Rosh Roslin is another member who has some great tutorials on Fractal devices. Here are a couple that may be useful to you:

Two of my own OFM9G layouts are set up with per-preset footswitches for this. One has PP# 1-6 and the other has PP# 7-12. Each preset has its own per-preset footswitches, that way I can have different footswitches for each preset as necessary.

Thanks in advance!
As many have stated (and even posted some of my tutorials), your best bet is to use a per-preset function and build it into the layout. This layout will "live" with your preset and the rest of the presets and factory presets will function as normal, but your custom/favorite preset will have access to the specific effects you need.

unless im misunderstanding the question, i think if you watch a video or two on layouts and layout links, youll get to where you want to be.

after selecting a preset, a layout link takes me to my scenes. then if i wish to turn an effect on or off in that scene, i tap the same button and it takes me to my fx layout which displays whichever fx ive set up in the FC EDIT window. these switches carry across all presets. but, if i want an exception to the typical switch funcrion i set up in FC EDIT, i use a per-preset override.

unless im misunderstanding the question, i think if you watch a video or two on layouts and layout links, youll get to where you want to be.

after selecting a preset, a layout link takes me to my scenes. then if i wish to turn an effect on or off in that scene, i tap the same button and it takes me to my fx layout which displays whichever fx ive set up in the FC EDIT window. these switches carry across all presets. but, if i want an exception to the typical switch funcrion i set up in FC EDIT, i use a per-preset override.
Yep, Layout Links and Per Preset Placeholders are the two most powerful features in my workflow. It's crazy what the FC system is capable of.

The advice I would give the OP is to start with the factory layout or try the OMG 9 layout and play with it for awhile. Then sit down and write out what you don't like, would like to move, or wish you had access to. Careful planning and time invested configuring the Layouts will save a lot of time down the road.

I use an FC-6 with the Axe III and FM3 and spent the time initially to devise a configuration that hasn't been changed in a couple of years. A couple of tweaks incorporating new features, but no drastic changes.

I make use of "global" effects assignments (blocks in every preset), Control Switches, Per Preset Placeholders, Layout Links, Scene Toggle and View Toggle. Everything I need access to is no more than 2 switch presses away; one if I need a different layout or view, another to select what is needed.

Most people have suggested setting up effects bypass switches in the Per-Preset layout. This is definitely a solution but you could also just go to the effects layout. There you'll find on/off switches for common blocks. You actually have two layouts dedicated to effects, Layout 3 and Layout 4 (titled more FX) so that gives you 16 switched for effects. You can see in the attached image which effects are there by default. I personally edited these layouts to show effects that I commonly would want access to in any preset. I almost never use a rotary, so I changed that to a pitch block for example. Editing a default layout makes this a global change for every preset. That saves you from having to make a per-preset layout for every preset just for effects bypass switches.

Hope that helps!
1692151431709.png

As many have stated (and even posted some of my tutorials), your best bet is to use a per-preset function and build it into the layout. This layout will "live" with your preset and the rest of the presets and factory presets will function as normal, but your custom/favorite preset will have access to the specific effects you need.
Never thought of that approach. Which of your tutorials covers this?

Back
Top Bottom