FM9 sure is built to last. Confirmed withstands drunks. End of a very bad weekend.

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
A drunk came barreling down on my board Saturday night. As I shoved them off of it, the screen was just on that ‘overwrite current preset” and I exited out of there and everything seemed fine going on. Said over the mic “lets thank the 2 drunks for killing everyone else’s good time and lets all wish they drive home unsafely”.

Needless to say Im not winning any nice guy awards and probably lost us the room but I really dont care.

Dizzy bitch came over to apologize at the end of the night and I kept her at arms distance and told her to get away from me and my gear. Guy she was with that also came crashing down his pants were full of piss.

In other news, my asshole tenant flooded my apartment AGAIN with the washing machine, this time with water making it all the way down to the basement and on an amp shelf containing a Friedman, Mezzabarba and Metropolous. They took maybe a couple minutes rain amount of water. I dried them off and fired them up today and the three amps seem to be working fine.

Finally, my dishwasher took a shit the same night and its 815 bucks to replace. That Im least mad about.

Played a New Year’s Eve gig a few years back, had the same issue with people crashing on the gear, and bashing the microphone stands, surprised I still have my teeth.

We just stopped playing and refused to play anymore until people moved back… some were actually removed from the evening!

Pretty sure we lost the crowd and room that evening too, but we aren’t monkeys at the end of the day!

We had one a few years back in a pub where everyone was having a good time and then suddenly a fight broke out just in front of all our gear! Luckily we were on a break and I was able to race over and save one of our PA speakers that was about to fall over by them crashing into it. I don't think I've moved so fast in my life lol

What was funny was the two who started the fight were really good friends and I still don't know what started it. Probably just the drink talking!

Also had another one at a wedding venue this time right before I moved over to Fractal and was using a big analog board. I had my KOT pedal on there and some women fell into the mic stand and all over my pedal board I thought the KOT's output and input jacks were broken but it still worked fine.

The first time I took my FM3+FC6 out, a drunk singer stumbled backwards and stepped on one of my XLR feeds to my FRFR cabs, breaking it and causing the cab to stop working. I figured that the FM3 was broken.

Luckily it turned out that the FM3 was fine and it was the cable connector’s pins that were ruined, but it made me rethink how I wanted the gear positioned and protected on the stage. I rebuilt all my cables using the shortest profile XLR and 1/4” plugs I could find, then mounted the units on a Temple Audio Duo 24 and routed the signal cables to the ends of the boards.

The cables to the back of the unit could still be stepped on but they’re a lot smaller target now, and the ones on the ends are easily and quickly replaced with the spares I carry. And, I wouldn’t hesitate to push someone off the stage if they got too close and start yelling for the bouncer or security over the FOH system to haul them away.

The funny thing is if the stinking drunk falls on your board YOU can be sued! This is why its probably best for everyone involved they dont survive the fall. You know they’re going to do it again and again and again.

The funny thing is if the stinking drunk falls on your board YOU can be sued! This is why its probably best for everyone involved they dont survive the fall. You know they’re going to do it again and again and again.
We have to have public liability insurance over here in the UK to play at some of the venues. That's all I need being sued by someone who tripped over my gear!

I owe my entering the Fractal world to two drunk women. They got into a fight at the end of the bar, one shoving the other into the back of my rig - A Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 head and Roccaforte custom plexi head on top of my Marshall 425A 412 cab. Everything fell over, and the two women ran out. Fortunately, those heads are built like tanks and everything worked after putting it back together, but I vowed to find something more portable and easier to set up and protect. I had been curious about the Fractal gear, and have been very happily using it for the last 7 or 8 years.

Back
Top Bottom