FM9 SPDIF with Audient iD44 Interface!?

bigswifty

Inspired
Hey folks,

First time using a Fractal unit with SPDIF, but seeing as I anchor all my projects at 48khz and my new interface has SPDIF (albeit in the form of 2 Optical ins/outs that are configurable between ADAT and SPDIF fuctions), I want to set up the rig in this way if it won't be too much of a hassle. I'd also like to configure it so that reamping is possible. Another added benefit - I wouldn't be using up any mic pre inputs.

From what I understand, the SPDIF connections on the FM9 are RCA, while the Optical ins/outs on the iD44 are optical, and there aren't any cables that can go one from the other. So will I need a converter? If so, all the ones I've seen only have one optical port. Will this limit me from being able to pass audio back to the FM9 for reamping?

If all the above is correct.. what would you recommend? Have any of you faced a similar dilemma? What was your solution?

The only thing keeping this from being the perfect setup so far is this cable crossing shyte! o_O

iD44-Rear-1500x483.png

1199px-Fm9-rear.jpg

You'll need either a two way converter or use two separate one way converters if you want both in and out via SPDIF. I'm sure others here can chime in with specific models they've used.

I've never quite understood the choice of Toslink for audio purposes. There's pretty much nothing to gain from using more expensive and fragile cables and connectors in converting to an optical format for only 2 audio channels. Coax is more than capable of handling that much easier.

I've never quite understood the choice of Toslink for audio purposes. There's pretty much nothing to gain from using more expensive and fragile cables and connectors in converting to an optical format for only 2 audio channels. Coax is more than capable of handling that much easier.

Yeah. To be honest I'm kind of bummed about it.

This would be the ideal setup for my purposes right now, if this interface had a dedicated SPDIF in/out. The 4 cable/2 converter method is going to both cost extra money and just be a very ungraceful solution. I could record over USB and be done with it, but then I'm juggling my monitor cables between interfaces in order to hear what's going on. Not the biggest deal in the world, but I'm trying to think of the best solution!

Mainly because the FM9 sounds and feels so much better than the VST plugins I have been using. Those are still great kit, but I'd love to straight up record everything with the Axe once again. The only downside: I need to figure out how to both capture the DI and be able to reamp it if need be. For peace of mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Audient is adat, which, strictly speaking is not toslink, and using that gives more i/o channels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Audient is adat, which, strictly speaking is not toslink, and using that gives more i/o channels.

You're right, but you can actually assign the ports to be ADAT or SPDIF within the audio drivers. So they say they are both, essentially.

You're right, but you can actually assign the ports to be ADAT or SPDIF within the audio drivers. So they say they are both, essentially.
Sure, but I was just answering Mr_Fender's question about why they use an optical connection. By doing so, they feature more i/o channels than they could via coax.

Sure, but I was just answering Mr_Fender's question about why they use an optical connection. By doing so, they feature more i/o channels than they could via coax.
Yeah ADAT optical is well worth it for 8 channels. I was speaking more specifically about devices with only TOSLink. From a manufacturing perspective I can't imagine optical is really worth the extra cost for only 2 channels.

Would be awesome if Fractal gear supported ADAT optical. We could then have the full 8 in x 8 out channels like USB on the Axe III to share with other interfaces digitally without having to mess with aggregate devices or added drivers/buffers.

So, I've got a bit of a compromise working here. What I have is my outputs 1 and 2 on my FM9 going through to the line inputs 3 and 4 on the back of the ID44. In the ID Mixer software, I've brought up the input monitoring on channels 3 and 4 in the master mix so that I can monitor my playing through the FM9 without having to go into the DAW and create a track with input monitoring enabled.

This opened up a new option: if I go into my DAW and set my interface to the FM9, I can now still hear both my session and the FM9, since the audio interface (FM9) is now passing it's output to the inputs (3 and 4) of the ID44, which passes output to my monitors. This is excellent news.
Even better, I can now record direct using USB, and capture a DI simultaneously using the FM9 output 5, and then if necessary I can reamp as well!

Is it the perfect, ideal setup? No.
But it works!
🍻

I had the same dilemma with my interface. My solution was to sell it and use the FM9 as my interface and it is working brilliantly.

Back
Top Bottom