FM9 SPDIF reamping

Is anyone successfully using SPDIF to reamp with the FM9? I'm trying to set this up and I can't get it cooking. I'm using a Clarett 4pre USB as my interface and Logic Pro X. I've had my FM9 for a couple of months and haven't been able to get this working. I don't want to use the FM9 as a USB interface, and I know that's the simplest way to do it, but if anyone is so inclined, please indulge me. I used to do it this way on my Kemper with zero issues. The FM9 has the connections to do it this way, and I'm amazed that this method isn't detailed in the manual. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Is anyone successfully using SPDIF to reamp with the FM9? I'm trying to set this up and I can't get it cooking. I'm using a Clarett 4pre USB as my interface and Logic Pro X. I've had my FM9 for a couple of months and haven't been able to get this working. I don't want to use the FM9 as a USB interface, and I know that's the simplest way to do it, but if anyone is so inclined, please indulge me. I used to do it this way on my Kemper with zero issues. The FM9 has the connections to do it this way, and I'm amazed that this method isn't detailed in the manual. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
The instructions to do this are detailed in the recording guide. See configuration #4 or #5. Note that it isn't necessary to use spdif to do what you want (see configuration #4). That should probably be your first choice if you want to use your Clarett. But you can use configuration #5 if you'd prefer to use spdif.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Also, here's a reamping tutorial:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-re-amping-tutorial.190686/

Thank you kindly, Glenn!

I tried configuration #5, and it worked, but it was very noisy. I've eliminated the noise by taking stereo XLRs from Out 2 into my interface, and I'm using the FM9 Input 1 instead of having the guitar going direct to the interface. This has been annoying me for days and now it works thanks to you!

If it's noisy, that might be because you skipped the bit in the configuration #5 instructions that starts with "It's important to...". You need to follow those instructions to get a good signal-to-noise ratio. Adding extra D/A/D conversions like you're doing isn't a great workaround.

Again, configuration #4 usually works better in these situations since it's simpler and you don't have to deal with issues like that.

Prophetic insight on your part. I did skip over that. I think the excitement of actually getting a signal got the better of me and diverted my attention.

Even better now—thank you!

One question, @GlennO
Is there a reason why it’d be advantageous to make the FM9 the clock source, and not my interface? I get that one of them has to be the source.

Back
Top Bottom