FM9 Setup out of the Box

DonC

Just received my FM9, and I followed Leon Todd‘s YouTube video for first time set up. The presets sound a bit dirty, and even the clean sounds aren’t as clean as they should be. I’m running through a Yamaha DXR10 cab. So what could I be missing? Any help would be appreciated.

1. Begin with your input block, and increase the threshold level. (About -35 dB is OK).
2. If using stock settings, begin with a clean amp (Double Verb, Vibro Verb, Deluxe Verb, etc) and an appropriate cab (2x12 or 4x12 typically). The cab you choose is vitally important to the tone and sound quality of your preset.
3. If the stock settings are too gainy, turn down the gain in Ideal and adjust your master volume (preferably not more than 8.0) and output level (as much as -3 dB is reasonable) to compensate.
4. Be sure to check your EQ and do a low cut to about 80 Hz and a high cut to <12000 Hz.
5. Your FM9 on the front panel has 3 knobs marked Output 1, 2 and 3. Adjust that level so it doesn't overpower the DXR10, and if the DXR10 has an output level as well, adjust to taste.

That being said, what type of guitar(s) are you playing through? Single-coils may introduce ambient hum and crackle. The input block will help tame the hum. If there is crackle, try a separate instrument cable. If there is still crackle, it might be the guitar.

Tell us a little about the DXR10. Powered speaker? XLR connections, or TRS? If TRS and you can do XLR, try an XLR.

We don’t know which video you are talking about, and unless your system and room and guitar and touch is identical to Leon’s you won’t get the same result. The factory settings for the FM9 are a good starting point to learn the system.

Also what clean sounds are you talking about? The 59 bass guy preset? That’s not really a clean preset, for example.

Just received my FM9, and I followed Leon Todd‘s YouTube video for first time set up. The presets sound a bit dirty, and even the clean sounds aren’t as clean as they should be. I’m running through a Yamaha DXR10 cab. So what could I be missing? Any help would be appreciated.
if you're available now, i can start a live stream and walk you through your questions.

let me know here in the next hour or so and i can start. it'd be on youtube or twitch and i'd be on video/audio while you type to me in the chat.

1. Begin with your input block, and increase the threshold level. (About -35 dB is OK).
2. If using stock settings, begin with a clean amp (Double Verb, Vibro Verb, Deluxe Verb, etc) and an appropriate cab (2x12 or 4x12 typically). The cab you choose is vitally important to the tone and sound quality of your preset.
3. If the stock settings are too gainy, turn down the gain in Ideal and adjust your master volume (preferably not more than 8.0) and output level (as much as -3 dB is reasonable) to compensate.
4. Be sure to check your EQ and do a low cut to about 80 Hz and a high cut to <12000 Hz.
5. Your FM9 on the front panel has 3 knobs marked Output 1, 2 and 3. Adjust that level so it doesn't overpower the DXR10, and if the DXR10 has an output level as well, adjust to taste.

That being said, what type of guitar(s) are you playing through? Single-coils may introduce ambient hum and crackle. The input block will help tame the hum. If there is crackle, try a separate instrument cable. If there is still crackle, it might be the guitar.

Tell us a little about the DXR10. Powered speaker? XLR connections, or TRS? If TRS and you can do XLR, try an XLR.
Why would we need to set the Threshold level so low? I have mine set to -53 and it's great. Maybe nosier environments need a lower setting, not sure, my Axe II had a setting of -69 for my metal tones.

Why would we need to set the Threshold level so low? I have mine set to -53 and it's great. Maybe nosier environments need a lower setting, not sure, my Axe II had a setting of -69 for my metal tones.
Assuming you're talking about the Input Gate, there's something like a 20db difference between the Axe Fx II and the new generation hardware.

Also, -35 is higher than -53... Not lower ;)

That means you want it to trigger less because the threshold is higher.

It may be dependent on how much line noise comes through (guitar pickup type, cable quality, etc). My FM9 sits next to some other electronic equipment and LED lights, so there's that....

Assuming you're talking about the Input Gate, there's something like a 20db difference between the Axe Fx II and the new generation hardware.

Also, -35 is higher than -53... Not lower ;)

That means you want it to trigger less because the threshold is higher.
Good to know. I had crazy noise when I had the Axe III in the same studio, cables, setup, for whatever reason my FM9 is MUCH quieter. I even reset both units to defaults and reloaded the preset banks and my FM9 was much quieter than the AXE 3 Turbo that I had.

Good to know. I had crazy noise when I had the Axe III in the same studio, cables, setup, for whatever reason my FM9 is MUCH quieter. I even reset both units to defaults and reloaded the preset banks and my FM9 was much quieter than the AXE 3 Turbo that I had.
You might notice that the FM9's performance may vary when you bring it with you out in public. The ground lift switch will help will any 60 Hz hum that might present itself. Also, with compounded gain, extra noise is guaranteed.

First, this is not relevant advice. Noise gate threshold has nothing to do with gain levels.
Second, a threshold of -35 dB is too aggressive for most players, in my opinion. The factory default settings are a fine place to start.

Let's address @DonC as follows.

1. To reduce gain/distortion, lower GAIN. This is the first parameter on the Tone page of the amp block. Some amps have two gain controls. The introduction to the Owner's Manual or many different videos can show you the basics of how to edit the amp, but here's a rough guide: press HOME, then double-tap the "A" knob. Use the Page buttons to find the "Tone" page. Adjust GAIN using A or B. Press STORE, ENTER, ENTER if you want to save any changes that you've made.

2. Try this on a few different presets. If you still think you have too much gain, post a recording. Let us know if you need help creating this.

First, this is not relevant advice. Noise gate threshold has nothing to do with gain levels.
Second, a threshold of -35 dB is too aggressive for most players, in my opinion. The factory default settings are a fine place to start.
Hear that. The OP said his presets sounded dirty. How so? Too much hum, noise, gain? Trying to rule out the usual suspects typically works best. For my application, I've got electronic gear close by along with LED lights. What works for me may not be necessary for the OP. Just relating personal experience. Plz read what I've also posted and what follows for additional insight.

Last edited:
We don’t know which video you are talking about, and unless your system and room and guitar and touch is identical to Leon’s you won’t get the same result. The factory settings for the FM9 are a good starting point to learn the system.
Likely this one, Greg...

I'm also new to the FM9 and battled the same thing; straight out of the box the default settings had way too much gain for my liking and even sounded harsh and fizzy to my ears. Rolling back the gain wasn't cleaning them up much for me and in fact was already pretty low since I was aiming for clean tones first. I went searching for answers and found a thread where someone was having a similar issue, struggling to get good clean tones. I read a few things here and there but a post in that thread said to lower input trim. That worked for me.

I'm also new to the FM9 and battled the same thing; straight out of the box the default settings had way too much gain for my liking and even sounded harsh and fizzy to my ears. Rolling back the gain wasn't cleaning them up much for me and in fact was already pretty low since I was aiming for clean tones first. I went searching for answers and found a thread where someone was having a similar issue, struggling to get good clean tones. I read a few things here and there but a post in that thread said to lower input trim. That worked for me.
Which amp types had too much gain?

A common confusion is the first 2 presets, the “bass guy” amps. These are not clean amps, especially with the factory settings and humbucker guitars.

Princeton and JTM45. They are the two amps I use in my main preset with my Helix. I started with the same-ish settings, which may not be a great idea but I had to start somewhere. The results at that point were pretty harsh sounding on the FM9, with a pretty real nasty fizziness.

Back
Top Bottom