FM9 Professional patches

JPS225

Inspired
I've bought many patches from Worship Tutorials, but i'm not really playing in church now and I'm looking for another site/company/person who is creating professional patches for the FM9. Any suggestions? (and please don't post make your own. I'm working on dialing them in, but just not there yet)

Why not work your way through the factory presets? Combine them with the Wiki’s Factory Presets page and you’ll have a bit of insight into the goal of each preset and the main blocks generating the sound.

Turn the rig up to stage volume when auditioning them because that’s how the EQ was set and how they’re intended to be used. When you find ones you like, copy them to a different slot. If you like particular aspects of the sound then dig in and figure out what is happening and save the individual blocks involved into the Block Library, or save the preset as a template.

Later, pick through the ones you saved to new slots and bend them to your will. Add or replace using the ones from the Block Library.

Become familiar with the Snapshot tool, the “camera” icon in the top-right of Edit’s main screen, which makes comparing changes easier.

There are some great sounding factory presets that are ready to use containing some great tricks to learn.

What @Greg Ferguson said . . . and I have gotten a lot out of @austinbuddy presets. Check out his webpage if you want some additional options. https://austinbuddy.com/

There are other folks that also have a presence on this forum who sell great presets. @fremen and @Moke are two that come to mind. @simeon has generously offered block presets where he uses stock block types and tweaks them to replicate well known pedals. @Marco Fanton is a fantastic guitarist based in Italy and he has recently started selling presets. There are also a lot of resources that teach how to create your own presets. @Cooper Carter offers three master classes, one for each of the Fractal Audio platforms - FM3, FM9, and AXIII - that provide in depth instruction on how to fully utilize the Fractal Audio platforms. Cooper Carter works with world famous artists (Neil Schon is one that comes to mind, but I know that there are a number of others) to help them refine their tones on Fractal products. There are also quite a few free videos on YouTube - @2112 is a great resource (and great guitarist) who offers free videos on how to use Fractal products. I know that there are others that I'm not thinking of right now. But the folks I've mentioned above are definitely a great place to start.

Why not work your way through the factory presets? Combine them with the Wiki’s Factory Presets page and you’ll have a bit of insight into the goal of each preset and the main blocks generating the sound.

Turn the rig up to stage volume when auditioning them because that’s how the EQ was set and how they’re intended to be used. When you find ones you like, copy them to a different slot. If you like particular aspects of the sound then dig in and figure out what is happening and save the individual blocks involved into the Block Library, or save the preset as a template.

Later, pick through the ones you saved to new slots and bend them to your will. Add or replace using the ones from the Block Library.

Become familiar with the Snapshot tool, the “camera” icon in the top-right of Edit’s main screen, which makes comparing changes easier.

There are some great sounding factory presets that are ready to use containing some great tricks to learn.
Ive been playing through some of them, and there are some great sounding ones. I honestly need to sign up for a course on eq settings and compression and, well, everything..lol This is an awesome machine and there is so much in there.

What @Greg Ferguson said . . . and I have gotten a lot out of @austinbuddy presets. Check out his webpage if you want some additional options. https://austinbuddy.com/

There are other folks that also have a presence on this forum who sell great presets. @fremen and @Moke are two that come to mind. @simeon has generously offered block presets where he uses stock block types and tweaks them to replicate well known pedals. @Marco Fanton is a fantastic guitarist based in Italy and he has recently started selling presets. There are also a lot of resources that teach how to create your own presets. @Cooper Carter offers three master classes, one for each of the Fractal Audio platforms - FM3, FM9, and AXIII - that provide in depth instruction on how to fully utilize the Fractal Audio platforms. Cooper Carter works with world famous artists (Neil Schon is one that comes to mind, but I know that there are a number of others) to help them refine their tones on Fractal products. There are also quite a few free videos on YouTube - @2112 is a great resource (and great guitarist) who offers free videos on how to use Fractal products. I know that there are others that I'm not thinking of right now. But the folks I've mentioned above are definitely a great place to start.
I've been watching Carter's videos and they are great. I need to bit the bullet and take his master class. I love the FM9, just gotta get comfortable adjusting and knowing what I'm doing. I've had it for a good while, but have been lazy i guess and just grabbed presets from others.

Another great preset resource is @Burgs gotta checkout his stuff. Just search on axechange lots of great stuff there. Definitely don't overlook the factory presets. I personally think for most folks you can probably find what you need there. The "Wrecked Express" has become the foundation of one of my kitchen sink style presets. Started there and just tweaked it a bit. LOVE IT! Thanks @Admin M@ !

I've been watching Carter's videos and they are great. I need to bit the bullet and take his master class. I love the FM9, just gotta get comfortable adjusting and knowing what I'm doing. I've had it for a good while, but have been lazy i guess and just grabbed presets from others.
I completed CC's class and found it very helpful. I started the class a few days before I received my FM9 and glad I did. I didn't even want to plug it in until I knew everything about it.

Ive been playing through some of them, and there are some great sounding ones. I honestly need to sign up for a course on eq settings and compression and, well, everything..lol This is an awesome machine and there is so much in there.
The Fractalverse is really no different than physical amps and effects. Stick with the Authentic page of the amp block and the Basic page of effects and dial them in as you would using a physical amp and pedalboard. I've never really looked for presets for an artist or song, I find the gear that's used and look for amp/cab combinations and effects and usually get really good results without a lot of tweaking outside of the basic parameters.

While it's true that there are a lot of parameters in each block and it is easy to get overwhelmed by all of the options, if you approach it the same as an analog rig it becomes much more simple and surprisingly similar. That said, knowing what the many parameters do and how they interact with each other is invaluable. Not necessary to get going and creating great tones, but well worth the time spent learning them.

100% agree on the Wrecked Express preset! And the Wrecker Express amp is by far my favorite in the entire lib. It seems to me to have the most realistic tube amp dynamics of any of the amp models without requiring any tweaking. Love the way it responds to picking dynamics, and volume & tone knob changes! So many amp characteristics in there from a single amp block!!

I've bought many patches from Worship Tutorials, but i'm not really playing in church now and I'm looking for another site/company/person who is creating professional patches for the FM9. Any suggestions? (and please don't post make your own. I'm working on dialing them in, but just not there yet)
There's some really good free presets available in the "gift of tone" drops too. There are some serious pros represented there too.

I get it!.. but do not let the 10,000 presets, 55,000 cab IRs, 2,350 amp blocks, 7,350 fx blocks and hence the 17 trillion different combinations confuse you.... :)

a) Why not just get an amp and cab you like, connect them up and go from there...? or,
b) just crank up your gear and play through the first 50 or so presets?..these are mostly one amp per preset.. or
c) pick a preset with an amp you like and just start playing..?

I suggest c).. start with a preset of an amp you like.. adjust the amp to taste (use authentic page first), then start twiddling the reverb/decay to get happy?

its actually a lot easier than you think, if you can just ignore the detail until you need it.

Hey one more thing that helped me get up to speed was watching "Rig Rundown" videos from the Premier Guitar channel on youtube and attempting to create equivalent presets according to the pedal board and amp combinations from some of my favorite players. The rig rundowns go into depth on signal routing (think effect order). So that will be very instructional if you aren't familiar with typical effect routing and signal paths. But remember there aren't really any rules and sometimes breaking typical signal path practices can yield very interesting results. So in the beginning just play around and try to emulate a favorite artist's rig on your FM9. You will have fun and learn many goodies along the way!

I came from the analog pedal board and boutique tube amp world before diving into modeling - so I thought I had it all figured out. But I was wrong. I learned a lot from watching those videos regardless of whether we are talking digital modeling or analog pedals and actual tube amps.

Sorry I tried to post a link to the youtube playlist but forum still isn't letting me post URLs due to my newb status. I have more than 10 posts so not sure why I am still restricted - but you can easily find it by searching "Rig Rundown Premier Guitar" on youtube.

100% agree on the Wrecked Express preset! And the Wrecker Express amp is by far my favorite in the entire lib. It seems to me to have the most realistic tube amp dynamics of any of the amp models without requiring any tweaking. Love the way it responds to picking dynamics, and volume & tone knob changes! So many amp characteristics in there from a single amp block!!
Totally agree. It really responds to volume knob on guitar. You can do an entire gig with that one amp just riding the volume knob from clean to grit to rhythm to saturated lead. Great amp model, one of the stars in the collection!

Last edited:
Totally agree. It really responds to volume knob on guitar. You can do an entire gig with that one amp just riding the volume knob from clean to grit to rhythm to saturated lead. Great amp model, one off the stars in the collection!
I just used it exclusively at practice a couple nights ago. I told the Keyboard player (who is also a guitarist) how impressed I was with it. I gave my guitar to him and he was also blown away by the realistic dynamics. He owns a couple of expensive boutique amps too so he knows. We went through 6 songs in the first half of practice and I never touched a switch on my FM9. Only the volume knob, tone knob and pickup-switch on my guitar. It was a sublime experience!

The Tucana is another star in the collection for the same reasons - great tone and very realistic tube amp dynamics. Feel kinda dumb I was so late to the Fractal party, but very happy to be here now.

When you make your own presets, there are a few things you should do to make the process much easier.

• Start with an IR that you really like. You can spend a lot of time modifying the amp model to get a good sound and then muck it all up by changing the IR.
  • Keep the preset simple. Remove or turn off all effects until you get an amp sound that you are really happy with, then add effects one at a time.
  • Make small changes. Once you get close to a sound you like, make minor tweaks and then live with those changes for a bit. A day at least. Then come back and listen to it again to see if you still like the changes you made. Ears are funny and what you like one day you may not like the next. Especially if you have been playing for a little while and your ears get tired.
  • Make sure you tweak at the level you will be playing. If you gig, then make your changes at the same level that you will be setting your stage volume.
  • Play and record your self against a backing track to hear how your sound will fit into a mix. This is not perfect but will get you most of the way there.

Another great preset resource is @Burgs gotta checkout his stuff. Just search on axechange lots of great stuff there. Definitely don't overlook the factory presets. I personally think for most folks you can probably find what you need there. The "Wrecked Express" has become the foundation of one of my kitchen sink style presets. Started there and just tweaked it a bit. LOVE IT! Thanks @Admin M@ !
I played through this preset this morning as well as the Ruby Rocket amp and they are excellent. The Wrecked Express sounds wonderful. It got me reading up on this amp and design etc.

Back
Top Bottom