FM9 Power Protection

Can these fit under a peddle board like bleujazz3 ?
Dave,
You'll l find that the Zero Surge 2-Outlet or larger is 3 inches tall (H), which is not supported by either a Duo 24 or Duo 34. Although a better solution for surge protection and circuit breaker capability, the AR215-A has a circuit/fuse-reset button, which allows the AR215-A to function while never needing a separate power switch for the unit.

The Temple Audio Micro Mains Power Switch connects to the AR215A with a little effort working the cage on. All one needs to do is power on the AR215A, then leave the device on. The TA Micro Mains switch serves as the on/off.

Cost effective wise, both the AR215A plus the Micro Mains is better compared to trying to find a separate off/on switch for the Zero Surge which apparently connects directly to AC outlet power.

Can these fit under a peddle board like bleujazz3 ?

Well, no. However, I wasn't recommending these for their small height/depth and ability to fit beneath a pedalboard. I was responding to the OP request for recommendations of surge protecting his FM9.

Furman products use sacrificial and wearing MOV components as basis for their surge protection. The inherent problem with MOV-based surge protectors is that the MOVs physically degrade upon experiencing surges and overvoltage transients. Not only do they wear, but their failure will be unforeseen and unpredictable to the consumer. Worse, a MOV-based surge protector may look just fine, with all diagnostic LEDs showing "normal"...but upon the next surge, completely fail to protect the connected electronic equipment. The unpredictable, finite lifetime of MOV-based surge protectors is a deal breaker, as far as I am concerned, if you are looking to protect sensitive electronic equipment valued at thousands of dollars.

If you have dodgy power, or play in venues/areas that may have dodgy power, and you are looking for robust, reliable and dependable surge protection, than I strongly recommend Zero Surge. Besides Zero Surge, there is also SurgeX, as well as Brick Wall, which use similar design/topology as Zero Surge -- i.e. Series Mode Protection with inductor and capacitors, shunting , non-sacrificial (no MOVs).

https://www.ametekesp.com/surgex/standalone/standalone-120-208v

https://www.brickwall.com/

By the way, I am in no way knocking Furman. I am sure the Furman AR215A would be fine for a typical pedalboard...and decent surge protection (even if it is MOV-based) is better than no surge protection. My recommendation for a Zero Surge type surge protection solution is geared more towards the consistent, long-term surge protection of expensive electronics of $1,000 value or more. Due to their size and weight, they are probably more suitable for a fixed location at your home/studio, versus something you would be travelling to gigs with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom