FM9 Paint Coming Off Bottom

Dual Lock don’t mess around, man. That’s why it gets used!

After using a Ground Control Pro for years in my old rigs the back of it is more beat up than the front. I haven’t mounted my FM9 yet but I very much won’t be surprised to find the same thing under my FC6 if I yanked the velcro off.

If you'd left the bumpers on the unit, you could put four layers of Dual Lock between the feet and it'd contact the board with plenty of bonding to hold the FM9 in place. Then, if you wanted to remove the tape it'd come off the bumpers without problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTI
Yeah. Unfortunately even powder-coating can’t withstand the power of Dual-Lock. And that stuff gets baked on at over 400 degrees! A little flat touch-up paint should work if it’s intrusive. 👍🏻

Well, it is on the bottom and since it is aluminum won't rust. Would be pretty much a non-issue for me unless I was concerned about resale. Even then, just have to knock off a few extra bucks.

I've been using dual lock on pedals and controllers for years. This has never happened; not even on my Helix dare I say. I just find it odd.

Well, it is on the bottom and since it is aluminum won't rust. Would be pretty much a non-issue for me unless I was concerned about resale. Even then, just have to knock off a few extra bucks.
It's not aluminum. Fractal says "Physically, it is built tough, with a rugged 16-gauge steel chassis and protective endcaps that double as feet."

It's not aluminum. Fractal says "Physically, it is built tough, with a rugged 16-gauge steel chassis and protective endcaps that double as feet."

Well, shit. Learn something new every day. I guess he better keep his out of the water, then.

Should not happen I think. If the steel was properly cleaned prior to powder coating it really should not come off.
Is it a big deal? Probably not but if it happend to me I would still contact Fractal about this

powder coat is cosmetic imo, scrape it all off so next time you use the dual lock it'll stick and not fall off, my guess is your lucky it didn't come off before you took it off.

I know this might sound crazy, but a few years ago I read where someone was putting down a layer of blue painters tape on the bottom of the Fractal board THEN attaching the Velcro to the back side of the tape.

The idea is to protect the paint on the unit, but still adhere to the Velcro and the pedalboard. I thought it was a garbage idea, until I tried it with my AX8 over 4 years ago.

It has been 100% rock-solid with many gigs under its belt in all kinds of temps, humidity etc.

It's worth a try if you're trying to protect the paint.

I know this might sound crazy, but a few years ago I read where someone was putting down a layer of blue painters tape on the bottom of the Fractal board THEN attaching the Velcro to the back side of the tape.

The idea is to protect the paint on the unit, but still adhere to the Velcro and the pedalboard. I thought it was a garbage idea, until I tried it with my AX8 over 4 years ago.

It has been 100% rock-solid with many gigs under its belt in all kinds of temps, humidity etc.

It does work. Also, no one needs to use as much Dual Lock or Velcro on the back
of boards and pedals as many do. Few strategic pieces well-placed is more than enough.

The idea is not crazy. I use and recomend Kapton tape (Polyimide film with silicone adhesive for easy release). It works great. Protects the finish, removes with no residue. 2" wide is ideal. 3M dual lock sticks to it perfectly.

tape.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom