FM9 monitoring

EdN

For all the gigging people over here.
Maybe a stupid question but
I was thinking, while normally you use the monitors and IEM's from the PA
Can't we not just insert the monitor cable(s) in our FM9 ?
So we have out 1 to the PA
Out 2 for your own frfr
And Out 3 (or maybe the phones out for your own IEM
In 1 for our guitar
Balanced 2 for the pa monitor line( minus our guitar channel)
So you can blend in your guitar signal ( and the monitor mix at your liking
Just have to ask the sound guy to get you the full house mix minus your guitar

It's possible to configure a routing that would allow you to this but would require additional Input and Output blocks in your presets. If you're asking for opinions, it really wouldn't be worth the effort for me. Monitor mix is very important to me and with most places using digital boards, it's pretty easy to get the wifi info to use a phone or tablet with the board's app.

Any time I haven't had a way to control the mix on my own, the sound engineer was at skilled enough to give me the mix I needed. If the sound engineer is capable of sending you a house mix with the guitar channel, he should be able to adjust the rest of the mix to your liking.

It's possible to configure a routing that would allow you to this but would require additional Input and Output blocks in your presets. If you're asking for opinions, it really wouldn't be worth the effort for me. Monitor mix is very important to me and with most places using digital boards, it's pretty easy to get the wifi info to use a phone or tablet with the board's app.

Any time I haven't had a way to control the mix on my own, the sound engineer was at skilled enough to give me the mix I needed. If the sound engineer is capable of sending you a house mix with the guitar channel, he should be able to adjust the rest of the mix to your liking.
Yes, agree,. But I'm just starting out on the FM9 so have to create the most gig presets yet, so that wouldn't be that kind of big deal to add those extra blocks
Most small Gigs we do really doesn't have those digitals pa's and I seem to never be that happy with the signals they gave me. ( Always glad I have my tube amp behind me)

For all the gigging people over here.
Maybe a stupid question but
I was thinking, while normally you use the monitors and IEM's from the PA
Can't we not just insert the monitor cable(s) in our FM9 ?
So we have out 1 to the PA
Out 2 for your own frfr
And Out 3 (or maybe the phones out for your own IEM
In 1 for our guitar
Balanced 2 for the pa monitor line( minus our guitar channel)
So you can blend in your guitar signal ( and the monitor mix at your liking
Just have to ask the sound guy to get you the full house mix minus your guitar
Actually that sounds like my setup, which is:
In1: guitar,
In3: mix from rest of the band without my guitar (my own mix per tablet)
Out1 (Phones): IEM
Out2: FOH
Out3: FRFR (@home)

So with the Output1 knob i can set my IEM (Phones) level which is in fact the guitar, and i mix the rest of the band in with a volumeslider on the tablet, or with a PerPreset knob for input3 level.

Actually that sounds like my setup, which is:
In1: guitar,
In3: mix from rest of the band without my guitar (my own mix per tablet)
Out1 (Phones): IEM
Out2: FOH
Out3: FRFR (@home)

So with the Output1 knob i can set my IEM (Phones) level which is in fact the guitar, and i mix the rest of the band in with a volumeslider on the tablet, or with a PerPreset knob for input3 level.
I'm trying to get this setup but having an issue with the OUTPUT 3 going to my FRFR. Output 1 & 2 are perfect. OUTPUT 3 is low volume and I can't hear some of my blocks like reverb. I changed the boost +18dB but don't hear any difference. Nothing I've tried has given me the reverb or other blocks into the output. Any ideas?

I use IEMs to monitor the monitor mix sent from FOH. If you have good IEMs you won't really hear the FRFR... but your guitar will.

It just an extra step to mix IEMs inside the Fractal. Since you have to communicate with the FOH engineer anyway, it's easy to add the guitar in the IEM mix from FOH. If the mix goes to crap you can always pull one ear out and hear the FRFR.

That's weird. You have an OUT3 block added and linked to the chain you want to OUT3?
It works fine with the OUTPUT... newbie issue. I thought you could copy Output 1 to Output 3.... nope it's pre-amp input to Output 3. So I'll have to add an Output 3 to every preset I want to use..... I use to always have a small 4 channel mixer in my rack setup to do what I want. It might be easier to just go back to using it.

Back
Top Bottom