FM9 Midi out not working

Hey all - any help would be appreciated

I've got an FM9 Standard - bought used a couple weeks ago. I just got a midi-usb cable to try and change things in MainStage on my computer via the scene midi block, but I can't get any midi signal to generate from the FM9.

Midi in works - I can change presets on the FM9 by sending PC signals

I used a different midi device to test the cable and computer - that worked. I also tried sending a midi signal to the IN port and run the OUT cable to the computer to see if anything would pass through - nothing...

Maybe I have a bad midi OUT port? Or are there settings that need to be checked.

Do you also have your FM9 connected with USB to your computer? If so, possibly the inbound is working over USB and not midi?

A common problem with the USB to midi adapters is poor labeling, and connecting the IN and OUT backwards.

Also, cheaper midi connectors often don't have a well defined "bump" that's designed to make sure the cable is aligned properly, so check that.

You can install a midi monitor like MidiOX on your computer to inspect the incoming and outgoing midi streams.

Do you also have your FM9 connected with USB to your computer? If so, possibly the inbound is working over USB and not midi?

A common problem with the USB to midi adapters is poor labeling, and connecting the IN and OUT backwards.

Also, cheaper midi connectors often don't have a well defined "bump" that's designed to make sure the cable is aligned properly, so check that.

You can install a midi monitor like MidiOX on your computer to inspect the incoming and outgoing midi streams.
Hi, thanks. I did have it connected to my computer (weirdly, when I powered it down and back up I got a warning in MainStage that a midi loop was detected). However, I tried disconnecting the USB and only had the Midi to USB cable connected and no midi signal was detected. MainStage has a midi display which should show if any signal is coming. It does when I use another midi controller, but not the FM9.

The FM9 midi IN works because I tested it with a different midi controller and cable. The cable works because I used the same midi device to test it (and MainStage detected the signal).

Hi, thanks. I did have it connected to my computer (weirdly, when I powered it down and back up I got a warning in MainStage that a midi loop was detected). However, I tried disconnecting the USB and only had the Midi to USB cable connected and no midi signal was detected. MainStage has a midi display which should show if any signal is coming. It does when I use another midi controller, but not the FM9.

The FM9 midi IN works because I tested it with a different midi controller and cable. The cable works because I used the same midi device to test it (and MainStage detected the signal).
I'd suggest you contact Fractal support... They can advise you if there's a way to test, or maybe a cable/connector you can check inside.

In the past, inexpensive MIDI/USB cables were notorious for not working. Can you try another adapter?
Turns out this was the culprit. Even though the cable worked with a different midi device, it did not work with the FM9. When I tried routing the FM9 through another device (Airstep) it worked. I don't understand why the cable would work with one device and not the FM9 but that's what appears to be happening.

Turns out this was the culprit. Even though the cable worked with a different midi device, it did not work with the FM9. When I tried routing the FM9 through another device (Airstep) it worked. I don't understand why the cable would work with one device and not the FM9 but that's what appears to be happening.
When the adapter cable is the culprit, there are usually other MIDI devices that it won’t work with, most of which you probably don’t own. Something about dirt-cheap cables...

I’m glad you got it sorted.

Back
Top Bottom