FM9 locked up while switching Cabs

hobbes1

Inspired
I used my guitar to record a 10 second loop on my FM9 for the purposes of auditioning various cabs. I found that switching between cabs has resulted in the FM9 locking up while generating a very loud, continuous tone. The tone sort of reminded me of the sound generated by old Win PCs when they were jammed up. FM9 edit and the FM9 unit were totally frozen and required a power cycle on the FM9 to cut off the tone and restore the unit working.
I had to send my first FM9 back to Fractal for a new unit (inside the 14 day trial window). Not thrilled that the second unit is also demonstrating what appears to be a software issue so soon after receiving it. Also, it sucked that I was wearing headphones at the time....pretty damn loud error tone :(

A mix of Factory and User (RedWirez was the actual one I landed on when the FM9 locked up).
These Redwirez are IRs that I have used in other modelers, including an AX8 and Helix.

Have you tried removing the particular IR from your library or skipping it? Trying to determine if it's due to corrupt files. Is there a certain number of IRs you audition each time before it locks up or is it only when you land on certain IRs?

After power cycling the FM9, I went back through the IRs again. I believe that it’s a case of how fast one is switching between IRs. I was giving several seconds between switches, but the FM9/FM9 Edit connection must require a longer time.
In short, it’s not the IRs per se, I believe it’s the FM9 usb ability to process changes. But that’s just a guess on my part. Switching like that never choked any other modeler I’ve used.
Thank you for your efforts to help me troubleshoot!

After power cycling the FM9, I went back through the IRs again. I believe that it’s a case of how fast one is switching between IRs. I was giving several seconds between switches, but the FM9/FM9 Edit connection must require a longer time.
In short, it’s not the IRs per se, I believe it’s the FM9 usb ability to process changes. But that’s just a guess on my part. Switching like that never choked any other modeler I’ve used.
Thank you for your efforts to help me troubleshoot!
I have noticed that the FM9 and/or FM9Edit tends to be cranky, slow, and/or crashy when doing things too quickly, especially when the CPU usage is at or above roughly 65%. Hopefully the 2.0 firmware update will have some fix(es) for the comm issue that appears to be the root of a number of wierdnesses.... 😊

I have noticed that the FM9 and/or FM9Edit tends to be cranky, slow, and/or crashy when doing things too quickly, especially when the CPU usage is at or above roughly 65%. Hopefully the 2.0 firmware update will have some fix(es) for the comm issue that appears to be the root of a number of wierdnesses.... 😊
Yup! Happens when we "stir the pot" too vigorously. That means overloading it with commands that require a little time to process.

I usually think of this when I receive an ugly sweater or fruitcake from an older acquaintance. I really don't need either. What I need is a better "processor."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom