FM9 in a Perfect World.

MKeditor

Experienced
I'm seriously considering getting an FM9. I would be going from an Axe-FX III. There's just a few things that are holding me back:
  1. Only one pitch block. I like to have one dedicated to virtual capo and another for other duties. Adding a 2nd pitch would be fab.
  2. The small displays. I have an RJM MMGT. If Fractal would make theirs larger and more colorful like RJM, it would be a game changer.
I did a mock up of what that would look like. What would you like to see on the next FM9? ✌🏼FM9 Turbo idea.jpg

The mock looks cool!

Just like all of the "I wish they had done this" type threads we probably won't be seeing that happening anytime soon, unless you know something the rest of us don't :oops:. Personally I would say pull the trigger, work with it until FAS decides to make the suggested improvements sell off the old and buy the new!

+1 for a second pitch block or a dedicated Virtual Capo block. I have a Digitech Drop on my board for exactly this reason.

Larger displays would be nice as well and they wouldn't shock me on a "Mark II Turbo" version since other stuff has headed this direction.

+1 for a second pitch block or a dedicated Virtual Capo block. I have a Digitech Drop on my board for exactly this reason.

Larger displays would be nice as well and they wouldn't shock me on a "Mark II Turbo" version since other stuff has headed this direction.
Can the the Drop D pitch up as well as down? Does it have detune (micro pitch)?

This is already done in the songs/sets feature. You would just adjust the layout slightly to have five sections, use the 1st button (labeled ia) to switch to an effects layout and stick your instant access switches needed there.

You don't need a new/updated FM9 to do this. You can do it right now with either the FM9 or FM9 turbo.

This is already done in the songs/sets feature. You would just adjust the layout slightly to have five sections, use the 1st button (labeled ia) to switch to an effects layout and stick your instant access switches needed there.

You don't need a new/updated FM9 to do this. You can do it right now with either the FM9 or FM9 turbo.
Huh? I'm not sure we are having the same conversation here lol.

If you want the VC up front and a pitch block later in the chain (I like dual detune in parallel very late in the chain alongside delays and reverbs), you kinda need a second pitch block. Although there are some workarounds that kinda do the trick I think. IIRC, @Moke posted something a while back.

Unless I'm missing something? Definitely could be--Rosh knows his stuff.

Can the the Drop D pitch up as well as down? Does it have detune (micro pitch)?
No, just down. One of the very few drawbacks. Although for my uses tuning up just isn't necessary. I mostly keep my guitars tuned to the highest I'll ever have them (E standard or Drop D) and tune down from there as needed. I also keep some guitars tuned to E flat standard or Drop C.

Huh? I'm not sure we are having the same conversation here lol.

If you want the VC up front and a pitch block later in the chain (I like dual detune in parallel very late in the chain alongside delays and reverbs), you kinda need a second pitch block. Although there are some workarounds that kinda do the trick I think. IIRC, @Moke posted something a while back.

Unless I'm missing something? Definitely could be--Rosh knows his stuff.

Was going by the photo of the layout. Wasn't reading the post in depth. Thought the poster was talking about the layout, not the size of the LCDs

If you need the functionality of a dual detune, you could feasibly use the dual delay with very short delay time in parallel, and then adjust the depth of the LFO or use one of the choruses to do the same thing with a short delay time. I'm assuming you're doing the -7 / +7 cents pan Left Right thing, like many 80s guitarists did for a detuned kind of sound.

If you need the functionality of a dual detune, you could feasibly use the dual delay with very short delay time in parallel, and then adjust the depth of the LFO or use one of the choruses to do the same thing with a short delay time. I'm assuming you're doing the -7 / +7 cents pan Left Right thing, like many 80s guitarists did for a detuned kind of sound.
PlexDelay has detune
Yeah I typically use more like -9.5 / +9.0 give or take a cent or two. Using the detune in the delay blocks are some of the workarounds I mentioned. They ballpark it but don't seem quite the same.

Back
Top Bottom