FM9: FRFR in front or behind you

I am always stage left, so my monitor is to my left at about 9:30 and my band monitor at about 11:00. In this orientation (it’s a wedge, either a CLR or NX12SMA) it isn’t affecting FoH and the other guitarist cross-stage can hear it when he’s away from his monitor. He points his amp in the reverse direction of mine. It’s worked well for many stage shapes.

I guess I'm sort of in between, I like it on the side of me, but that's where I used to have my cabinet, so it just seemed the logical spot. That way I'm getting the best of both worlds, the clear sounds and the feel...
I have done this… depending on the stage size

i have 2 ev pcm-12mp's. ive tried many configurations at practices. but im leaning towards 1 in front for my own monitor mix and one behind for those in front of the stage. ive tried the one behind set multiple ways (amp stand, on it's side or standing up on the stage). in practices, im liking the backline on a stand. first gig w the fm9 tomorrow.

I have always had it in front of me for gigs as to not mess with the FOH mix. Not sure if it really would or not, just the way I do it. For practice I have had it behind me, but now we just go all PA anyway so my FRFR is one of the band monitors and it is in front of me.

I have a CLR in front, and just because I am not always happy with the mix I have a Laney 112 behind me.
To reduce the on stage sound, I believe it's best to have just the FRFR in front, and if I had to have only one (especially rehearsals etc) that's what I would go for.

I can't really have them in front of me, even on the bigger stages around here (pretty big). Can't get them loud enough without unwanted feedback, they're too close.

Which is to say, I always use the powered FRFR as a wedge monitor in front and use direct to FOH for the room. I use a wireless when performing and walk the room to get the FOH and wedge to “link up”.

I prefer the monitor approach to ride feedback. When I use conventional amps, I use a side fill and turn for the feedback. If I must carry the room without PA, THEN and only then, I use the cab/powered speaker in the backline. Looks fab, but not great for playing. IME.

I love using my Yamaha DHR12M as a wedge in front of me. Last night it helped enhance feedback on certain parts and I could feel it vibrating through the stage just enough to excite me during our show.

Can't imagine using it as backline with my current two bands but in the right setting like all y'all are saying, to fill a room without guitar going to PA, maybe it's the perfect ticket

Always behind me

Most of the time a CLR and an MF10
I used to stack them but thanks to @austinbuddy suggestion I separated them and really like the way they sound

I'm running direct as well so they're for filling the sound of the band as well as moving air

Most of the time a CLR and an MF10
I used to stack them but thanks to @austinbuddy suggestion I separated them and really like the way they sound
It’s a great combo, isn’t it? I have had some hard core tube/vintage amp guitar players in my studio who are digital modeling skeptics, and with this set up behind them, and they leave impressed and convinced that it truly does sound like a real amp on stage behind them.

I’ve done both but I think I like it better behind me. More like an amp, but it’s not really a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom