FM9: FRFR in front or behind you

sparkle

Inspired
Do you have your FRFR in front of you or behind…

I have always had it behind…but have seen a few pictures of people with it in front

Just depends on the stage layout but i prefer it behind me since the purpose is to feel like a guitar amp.
But a guitar amp doesn’t have to be behind you either. I often had my amp on the side, or especially on small stages where it has to be quiet, i’ve put my guitar amp (or at least a 1x12” cab) in front of me tilted up like a wedge, so I could hear myself properly at a low volume.

I guess the other question is ... Is there a benefit of front or back over the other...
I would assume the front you may hear "better" ??? I have not had a chance to try it that way...

I have tried it both ways. One of the things I really dislike is the uneven coverage as I move around the stage. I have even simultaneously tried both back line and front monitor. Still coverage is spotty…. This caused frustration until a band mate convinced me to try IEMs - game changer. Now I place a live monitor where ever it is convenient - loud enough for feedback when needed, and let the IEM even out coverage for me. I know this won’t replicate the “amp in the room” feel that so many seek… but I never really missed that in transition from analog to digital. I would just encourage experimentation, and abandonment of restrictive thoughts of how “it should be”… in favor of “hey, this rocks”.

I have tried it both ways. One of the things I really dislike is the uneven coverage as I move around the stage. I have even simultaneously tried both back line and front monitor. Still coverage is spotty…. This caused frustration until a band mate convinced me to try IEMs - game changer. Now I place a live monitor where ever it is convenient - loud enough for feedback when needed, and let the IEM even out coverage for me. I know this won’t replicate the “amp in the room” feel that so many seek… but I never really missed that in transition from analog to digital. I would just encourage experimentation, and abandonment of restrictive thoughts of how “it should be”… in favor of “hey, this rocks”.
Dispersion of a quality FRFR should be much wider than a typical guitar cabinet.

Of course, a huge benefit of IEMs is that they sound consistent regardless of where you move!

@unix-guy
That was huge for me - my right ear is profoundly impaired… even Turing my head at the mic would result in inability to hear a floor monitor or back line - the IEM solved that problem, now I can hear the guitar plainly no matter where I am on stage or what direction my good ear is facing. And the live cabinet still allows me to interact in space (feedback)… like I said, game changer in many ways, and I suspect that anyone could benefit from the combination of real cabs and IEM.

Most of the time I position my QSC's in front of me much the same as I would studio monitors, albeit, on the floor as monitor wedges. That changes depending on context.

While I don't know the details, I do know that our brains generally process sounds coming from behind differently. Which is to say, if they're behind me, I might feel like I'm going to be eaten by a tiger. ;-)

Some will argue that put behind you with your back to it on stage it the same sound will be less bright to you than if it’s facing you - your ears catch more of the highs. I would put myself in that camp.

Some will argue that put behind you with your back to it on stage it the same sound will be less bright to you than if it’s facing you - your ears catch more of the highs. I would put myself in that camp.
THANKS...USING CLR... Sounds great behind and most gigs I get a FOH monitor in front...

As other have stated sometimes the placement is dictated by the stage. Can also depend on whether or not the other musicians have a monitor feed with some guitar in it. If not, it is more important they can hear my FRFR/amp. Generally, though, for performance, usually behind me, or sometimes behind and off to the side, angled a bit at the other musicians onstage so they can hear my FRFR better. It has a closed-back.

In rehearsal sometimes set in front beaming across as much of the band as possible. That allows us to circle up a bit to better see cues and work out arrangements.

I use mine as a monitor wedge. In front of me, with the rest of the band mixed in. I don't want to "feel" like something, I want to hear as well as possible.

I guess I'm sort of in between, I like it on the side of me, but that's where I used to have my cabinet, so it just seemed the logical spot. That way I'm getting the best of both worlds, the clear sounds and the feel...

Off to the back side with roughly a 45 degree angle toward me/center stage. Depending the the stage backline setup provided I'm either far left or right on stage.

Back
Top Bottom