FM9 Firmware Version 8.00 public beta 2

m_brown

Fractal Audio Systems
FM9 Firmware Version 8.00 public beta 2 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm9/8p0/fm9_dsp_rel_8p00_public_beta_2.zip

A DynaCab update is required if updating from FM9 firmware versions prior to 8.00 Beta 1.
The DynaCab file in Beta 2 is identical to the one included in Beta 1. If you've already installed the DynaCab file from Beta 1, you can skip reinstalling it when upgrading from Beta 1 to Beta 2.

FM9-Edit update for this version:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-03-00-to-support-fw-8-00-public-beta.207320/

Last edited:
Fantastic!!!

VERSION 8.0 | Public Beta 2 Aug 15, 2024

IMPORTANT: Firmware 8.00 features new DynaCab models and requires you to install two separate files:
1) the main firmware, and 2) a separate Dyna-Cab file. To install both files using automatic download, please use the version of Fractal-Bot that is built into the latest release of FM9-Edit. https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm9-edit

NEW FEATURES & UPDATES

Amp Modeling Updates:

Improved preamp algorithms, especially for amps with multiple gain stages. Tones are “gutsier” and have a more dynamic response with more “pop”. Also improves accuracy when input of Amp block is driven by a Drive pedal (whether real or virtual).

New power amp algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models bias excursion and duty cycle modulation. This results in a more complex tone with better, punchier feel.

Improved cathode follower algorithm improves accuracy near onset of clipping. This results in warmer tones at edge-of-breakup and better cleanup when rolling off the volume knob (for amps that use a cathode follower).

Due to the new algorithm the “Grid Clipping” parameter has been removed.

Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This yields more “weight” and a more open tone when driving the virtual power amp hard (i.e. non-MV amps or MV turned up high).

Updated phase inverter parameters for many models.

Updated Plexi 100W and 1959SLP models. A soft reset of the Amp is required to load new values.

NOTE: The new amp algorithms are more accurate than prior firmware releases. This creates various “artifacts” that real tube amps produce. These include low-frequency intermodulation distortion, “clutter”, spitting and other non-ideal behaviors. These behaviors, however, are precisely what gives tube amps warmth, dynamics and character. They go hand-in-hand. Without these, amp modeling sounds sterile and uninteresting.

Cab Block Updates:
Added two new DynaCab types, 2x12 5153 Stealth and 4x12 5153 Stealth.
Added “1x12 Friedman” speaker impedance curve to the amp block.

Drive Block Updates:
Improved Drive block. Remastered most models as a result.
Drive block improvement: replaced fixed clip level value with data from the model itself.
Updated Timothy models to V4 spec.
Updated the Fat Rat model.
Fixed a problem that could occur while adjusting Drive level on the Rat model.

Added Kill-Dry option to the Mega-Tap Delay effect. (See firmware 7 release notes for more on Kill Dry)

Improved optical types in Tremolo block. Additionally, the LFO Type, Duty Cycle and Shape are now set to the most appropriate values when selecting the Tremolo Type but may then be changed freely.

FIXES:
Cabinet DynaCab Mic position default values updated to match Axe FX III. Double-click on mic position.
Controls in FM9-Edit now successfully reset to default.
Fixed pops/clicks that could occur when changing Preamp Type in Cabinet block.
Fixed pops/clicks when using Stack/Hold in Plex Delay.
Fixed pops/ when adjusting the Rat Distortion drive level.
Layout links will now execute properly for per-preset switches that change the current preset.
Fixed stand-in switch Tap functions not working in some cases.

Last edited:
Awesome! I'll be checking it out soon!

🔜

Unfortunately I have a rehearsal tonight so it'll have to wait til tomorrow... 😡

Last edited:
Hi @Admin M@,

I just installed 8.00 public beta 2...I seem to be having an issue where some of the amp models are switching spontaneously, and refuse to be switched back. For example, my AC30 patch switched to the USA Mk V model on its own, and refuses to go back...

See attached.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 11.36.52 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 11.36.52 AM.png
    872.1 KB · Views: 0
Can't say I hear or feel any immediately noticeable differences in the amps that I use. None of them has spit on me. Still sounds great, and the one bug that affected me was fixed. I'll call it a win.

I just installed 8.00 public beta 2...I seem to be having an issue where some of the amp models are switching spontaneously, and refuse to be switched back. For example, my AC30 patch switched to the USA Mk V model on its own, and refuses to go back...

See attached.
Did you refresh after new firmware in the editor?

See attached.
Are you using the updated editor for this release?

I wonder if Fractal can write a RANF command into the firmware upon first run after install? Would there be a downside if they could?

I wonder if Fractal can write a RANF command into the firmware upon first run after install? Would there be a downside if they could?
I must be missing something, because this happens automatically for me everytime I update firmware. I get a message that says "block definitions are mismatched" (or something) and then the block definitions are all read/synced. This is the same as RANF, isn't it?

I must be missing something, because this happens automatically for me everytime I update firmware. I get a message that says "block definitions are mismatched" (or something) and then the block definitions are all read/synced. This is the same as RANF, isn't it?
Actually, I think I noticed that too, but to be safe I just RANF anyway, fool that I am.

Back
Top Bottom