FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have freezing up since firmware 6. If I start up and switch from the preset page to the scenes page the FM9 crashes. Restarting does not clear it. I have to unplug the FM9 to get back to normal. This is intermittent. Does not happen every time. I've tried to troubleshoot but I'm coming up empty.

This definitely started with Firmware 6, beta 1.

FWIW I had the exact same problem last night with footswitch #6 - was not registering presses in any layout or even in the "EZ setting" FC menu. MLM switch combo is disabled, but I tried toggling it on and off & saw no behavior change. For me, a simple power cycle brought the switch back - I made no other layout resets/changes.
Blerg. Just did the same thing but with FS#9 this time (top right). Really hoping it doesn't make a habit of doing this live...

That is a favorite for matchless / BadCat voxy hardware amps. They don't play nice with a lot of drives.

Works nicely with a cranked-ish AB165 Bassman (either channel - you owe it to yourself to try the Bass channel with the cut engaged) or HRM with a low-medium drive, and the guitar volume backed off for "clean" rhythm. Hitting the GriddleCake sounds similar-ish but enough different from just cranking the guitar's volume to get into the amp's natural drive, and makes a nice low-ish gain singing lead. Been having a HELL of a time trying to get presets updated since I sat down to poke at the HRM. Strat, neck pickup, volume backed off, into the HRM with just a little tiny bid of Zephyr delay sounds darned close to Jimi's piggyback Bassman in "Voodoo Chile". The delay, dialed in really quiet, comes close to hitting the ambient room sound in the studio, with similar piling up of fat low mids in the room/delay sound on the low string riffs. Got stuck there for 15 minutes at least. :D

I've crashed my FM9 a few times now since updating just switching the reverb type in my Reverb 2 block. It will just lock up and add some static to my guitar tone until I hard restart. Anyone else posting anything like that?

I also have freezing up since firmware 6. If I start up and switch from the preset page to the scenes page the FM9 crashes. Restarting does not clear it. I have to unplug the FM9 to get back to normal. This is intermittent. Does not happen every time. I've tried to troubleshoot but I'm coming up empty.

This definitely started with Firmware 6, beta 1.

I've crashed my FM9 a few times now since updating just switching the reverb type in my Reverb 2 block. It will just lock up and add some static to my guitar tone until I hard restart. Anyone else posting anything like that?

Are you guys running anything without an amp block in it? I’ve uncovered a bug where a preset without an amp block in it will freeze up the unit.

One thing I’m unsure of is how the unit behaves with no blocks at all - i.e a blank preset?

UPDATE - booting at a blank preset too also does the same.

Last edited:
Blerg. Just did the same thing but with FS#9 this time (top right). Really hoping it doesn't make a habit of doing this live...
Remember this is a Beta release, so if you are using it live then you are taking that risk on yourself. Might be worth rolling back for live use if this is constantly happening, and also sharing the preset you were using when it crashed.

just updated, can anyone tell me, is 17% cpu normal for FM9t with just a in1 and out1?
View attachment 134096
Yes, this is normal ... at the end of the day this is a little computer, and a certain amount of CPU will be consumed to run the GUI, operating system, footswitches, scribble strips - all before you start adding FX.

I'm just wondering I bought a lot of custom presets for the FM9. Some were created on FW 3.0 some later like FW 4.1 or FW 5.1.

The bottom line is if I upgraded to FW 6.0 beta would all my presets work?

I am assuming to take advantage of the new gapless switching etc I would have to go into each custom preset and hit "SAVE" again to re-save it so that it updates to using the new features of FW 6.0 beta?

Would there be any complications to my custom presets, like the shutting down of blocks? Or inconsistencies in operation?

Also I know someone said 6.0 full release won't be too far ahead. I like to wait for 6.1 just like people did 5.1 and 4.1. How far away is FW 6.1 usually based on past measures? How many months off? I might just wait for FW 6.1 if it's planned to be created.

Remember this is a Beta release, so if you are using it live then you are taking that risk on yourself. Might be worth rolling back for live use if this is constantly happening, and also sharing the preset you were using when it crashed.
Yeah, believe me, I realize this. The gapless changes were worth the risk. It was more me talking out loud as a possible warning to others than a complaint.
It's just curious that it's done this to a couple of us now - I'm surprised the low level switch interrupt/sampling handling was impacted by any of the mentioned changes. Re: presets, for me there has been zero pattern - the two times it happened were on wildly different presets that share nothing in common outside of an input/output pair and a volume block, but regardless, if I notice a repeatable pattern, I will.

Maybe a bug? I tried swapping presets and it doesn't seem to work

• Click the Presets
  • Click Manage
  • Drag a preset over another to swap. (I see "Exporting...." in the status)
  • The presets are in the desired locations.
  • Save. I see the preset names refreshing in Edit

When I go back, the list is the same.

Are you guys running anything without an amp block in it? I’ve uncovered a bug where a preset without an amp block in it will freeze up the unit.

One thing I’m unsure of is how the unit behaves with no blocks at all - i.e a blank preset?

UPDATE - booting at a blank preset too also does the same.
All my presets do not have an amp block or cab block. I just use it as a pedal platform,(drives, rotary, tremolo, etc.

I've never used amp or cab block on the FM9 since I've had it. The CPU usage is also only between 50% and 60% so I'm not running it hot.

It's still crashing.

I'm waiting until the official release to download but I'm curious how well the gapless switching works. I don't have a need to switch amps in a set but I do use 4 to 5 different drives in a preset which requires me to program 1 drive block with up to 3 different channels. In the past I've been unable to use scenes due to the drop out caused by switching from 1 channel to another on a single drive block. Does anyone with this new beta firmware do something similar? Does gapless switching actually allow you to switch scenes in this capacity without a drop out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom