FM9 Firmware Version 5.01

IMO, IF each unit could use the same architecture (cpu, memory, etc), then it could be designed with one framework, with the differences being the connectivity, footswitches, etc, between the units. That might require different hardware cooling for the FMx units and more. The big difference is that the FM3 and FM9 costs go up and thus the price to the consumer. That might be a deterrent, but it would sure make life easier for the dev teams.

No denying that using similar hardware for all the devices would make updates simpler and maybe faster but as you pointed out this could increase prices for the FM9 and FM3. I think this is the strategy Line 6 used with the HX devices to some extent, although even those devices sometimes see a delay between, for example a Helix update and an HX Stomp.

Might Fractal be taking advantage of some kind of middleware code (not sure if that is the precisely appropriate term) that only has to be written once and perhaps modified on occasion, that allows higher level code and the editor to stay fairly consistent between devices? The middleware takes care of talking to lower-level OS and hardware calls/functions that may differ between the devices. That sort of middle layer can probably expedite a lot of update changes. Perhaps it might require some tweaking for something like gapless switching where they possibly need to find new efficiencies or methods closer to the hardware layer as the FM9 and FM3 have less processing power.

I'm perfectly content to wait as code gets rolled out to the AFX3 first and then rolls down to the FM9. Means I have to wait longer for new features, but I also get the entire AFX3 community as my beta testers to some extent ;) . Not 100% as some bugs will only show on the FM9, but I assume many issues have been resolved by the time the FM9 gets the update.

Last edited:
Don’t flame me for this…

Coming to Fractal from Helix, I will say it was nice that their whole ecosystem got updated together with each new firmware.

I like Fractal more, obviously. I own 2 of the three modelers they offer. You can say it’s an apples to oranges comparison, and explain all the ways it’s not possible. But I still say it would be nice. Cliff leading one team working on new firmware that we all get simultaneously for all products. That would be amazing.
I didn’t flame you.

Let’s say you have a new firmware release ready for the Axe III. Do you release the new firmware, or do you make everyone wait until all platforms have been through development and beta testing? That would slow down firmware releases for everyone. Not a big deal for companies that only release one or two firmware updates a year. But Fractal releases many firmware updates in a year. The slowdown would be noticeable, and people would complain. All in the name of synchronizing updates. I don’t think that would be a good trade off.
I also came to the Fractalverse from the Helix. I still love the Helix - I think it's amazing! It has a couple of features that I do miss.

But I agree with Rex - I think the development of the Helix is probably slowed down by making sure everything works on the Stomp. I have no issues with how things are done here.

You also have to consider that Line 6 has Yamaha money, which may mean a significantly higher budget than Fractal has. Considering some of the hires they've made over the past couple years, specifically the ones they've hired from Digitech, I would think that very likely. If Fractal had the money for more engineers, it might be able to get these features from the FXiii to the FM9 faster.

I don't worry about it too much, though. Gapless gets here when it gets here. I'm still getting this thing figured out - I have plenty of work to do between now and then.

Quoting fallacies is a great way to make oneself sound clever, but it doesn't mean what's been said is not accurate in this given situation.
It was accurate at my place of employment, where management's solution to poor planning was to throw more bodies at the problem. So we had a woodstock team, and hours-long lines at the loo, and still blew past 4 attempted deadline assignments from the CEO suite. :D

Not that any of that applies here, but it is fairly common in the management-heavy realms run by the descendants of the Golgafrinchans, so I understand and agree generally with the quote....

It was accurate at my place of employment, where management's solution to poor planning was to throw more bodies at the problem. So we had a woodstock team, and hours-long lines at the loo, and still blew past 4 attempted deadline assignments from the CEO suite. :D

Not that any of that applies here, but it is fairly common in the management-heavy realms run by the descendants of the Golgafrinchans, so I understand and agree generally with the quote....
Lol...come on, mate, that's the worst example of all time.

I totally agree that mindlessly throwing bodies at a problem is a bad way to go - as with doing almost anything anything mindlessly. But to suggest that means that more engineers are never needed is silly. Well run companies have to reasonably scale up all the time.

Lol...come on, mate, that's the worst example of all time.

I totally agree that mindlessly throwing bodies at a problem is a bad way to go - as with doing almost anything anything mindlessly. But to suggest that means that more engineers are never needed is silly. Well run companies have to reasonably scale up all the time.
I guess I have never worked outside of Dilbertville, as it's the 872462888457745th meeting of the Colonization Committee of Fintlewoodlewix every place I've worked....

Similarly, I peeped Linkedin recently and if those numbers are to be believed, Neural has 5x the employees of Fractal.

And somehow their Soon™ for QC updates is 5x longer than any other modeler out there.
They probably don't have any/many more actual dsp engineers. They probably have a lot of people doing marketing and all that.

Even just reading the release notes for the next firmware promises be an epic adventure, taking several minutes to complete and fully digest.

While the III users enjoy getting the incremental upgrades over shorter time spans, there is something extremely satisfying getting them all in a giant lump sum, no doubt. FAS has never failed to reward users who are patient.

I think its good that it takes some time to get us the update. The big brother gets basically updated every week. I think we will get one big one that will include everything.

And its not like we are outdated now, there is no new technology or something like it. Just new amps in addition to the other 200+ and faster switiching...

The various positive slants that you guys manage to put on it do make me laugh. It’s slower, it sucks a bit.

Luckily the product is spectacular and it is fantastic as is but let’s not pretend we all prefer it this way. The Friday F5 posts wouldn’t exist if we did..?!

The various positive slants that you guys manage to put on it do make me laugh. It’s slower, it sucks a bit.

Luckily the product is spectacular and it is fantastic as is but let’s not pretend we all prefer it this way. The Friday F5 posts wouldn’t exist if we did..?!
Interesting perspective. I like it just fine the way it is. My own "F5" posts are just in the spirit of fun and excitement about upcoming changes. So I'm not "putting a positive spin on it." I just don't see it as a negative at all. If you feel it sucks a bit, that's fine obviously. But not everyone feels that way about it.

Interesting perspective. I like it just fine the way it is. My own "F5" posts are just in the spirit of fun and excitement about upcoming changes. So I'm not "putting a positive spin on it." I just don't see it as a negative at all. If you feel it sucks a bit, that's fine obviously. But not everyone feels that way about it.
I wouldn’t say that - I love the product. I gig and tour it regularly and have come to rely on it to an extent. But I just would like the updates to be a little more in line with the big boy I suppose! Maybe I’m impatient.

I wouldn’t say that - I love the product. I gig and tour it regularly and have come to rely on it to an extent. But I just would like the updates to be a little more in line with the big boy I suppose! Maybe I’m impatient.

Almost no one is saying they want slower updates. I think the prevailing sentiment is that it's already a box chock full of more options than you'll ever realistically use in full.

Thus, not that big a deal to wait for yet more options, nor do the new options not being immediately available present a roadblock to....well, pretty much anything. It can't be that critical if virtually no one was even asking for this stuff 6 months ago on even the III, much less aware it would be added.

I wouldn’t say that

But...you literally did say that. :)

I love the product. I gig and tour it regularly and have come to rely on it to an extent. But I just would like the updates to be a little more in line with the big boy I suppose! Maybe I’m impatient.
I get it and I'm definitely not a patient person in general. You (and some others) are annoyed by having the Axe FX versions come out and then having to wait a while for the FM versions. Again, I think that's a completely understandable mindset. It's just not shared universally.

There seem to be plenty of people that share your opinion, but there are plenty of others who are totally fine with it the way it is. Both feelings are completely valid. 🤷🏾‍♂️

I will be happy when the updates arrive, but found still more preset updates that needed doing across my "preset template" and "amp library" presets, so I guess my earlier statement about the update dropping because I had finally finished updating presets from the last update was incorrect. Sorry for being so slow on getting these updated so the new release will drop.... :)

Back
Top Bottom