FM9 Firmware Version 5.00

The thing is I have scene ignore on all 4 channels of the cab and pitch blocks, and if I save the preset on a given channel, with pitch bypassed, shouldn't that persist?
I would think so but I seem to recall that it might depend on sequence of events.

I haven't used Scene Ignore yet so I'm not sure, but try turning Scene Ignore off and then set everything as you want it. Then save. Then turn Scene Ignore on again and save again.

I am having issues with sound loss from the computer. After the FM edit, the latest update
What type? (Win/Mac/Linux) and what OS, please.

With Mac, sometimes it's necessary to visit your Mac System Settings and navigate to Sound. Be sure that if you connect via an audio interface, left-click on the audio interface from the displayed menu. Your FM9 will also appear in that screen. Do not select FM9 if you wish to hear audio playback from your Mac (YouTube/iTunes Music, etc).

Also, in your Utilities applications folder there is Audio/Midi setup. Be sure that both your audio interface and FM9 I/Os are currently set to 48KHz (48,000) for continuity.

Other computer types configure their own way. Someone will need to help you with anything other than Mac.

Hello.

I have another problem with the FM9. I would like to know if this happens to anyone else.

When turning on the tuner on a preset (factory or created from scratch), if that preset has a PITCH block, even if it is on or off (bypass), the white vertical sensor of the tuner works with a delay, that is, with a little latency. It doesn't affect the tuning, but it is curious to say the least. With any preset that does not have a Pitch block, the tuner's vertical sensor works perfectly smoothly.

Does it happen to anyone else?

Hello.

I have another problem with the FM9. I would like to know if this happens to anyone else.

When turning on the tuner on a preset (factory or created from scratch), if that preset has a PITCH block, even if it is on or off (bypass), the white vertical sensor of the tuner works with a delay, that is, with a little latency. It doesn't affect the tuning, but it is curious to say the least. With any preset that does not have a Pitch block, the tuner's vertical sensor works perfectly smoothly.

Does it happen to anyone else?
I have a Pitch block in pretty much all my presets. I've never noticed, but I'll try to see if I can observe difference.

Had no sound through headphones immediately after booting yesterday. Was on a factory preset I didn’t recognize (nor remember, apologies). I flipped to another factory preset, same issue. Played with out 1 volume, reconnected headphones and guitar, checked guitar volume knobs. Nothing. Input lights would light up when I played, but no sound came out.

Turned FM9 off and turned it back on. Things were fine.

Brand new FM9T, FW 5.0, USB FW 1.02.

Loaded up 5.00 on my non-Turbo FM9, went out on the road for a couple weeks with a band and ran into a couple of minor issues:
  • Bootup time is wayyyy longer now
  • A couple of times certain footswitches would be on/visible but completely non-responsive regardless of mode I was in, they worked fine after reboot (I was able to access the associated effect, scene, preset if I navigated to it manually on the main screen)
I use the FM9 for bass and my presets are very basic/under 50% CPU usage, should I look into a clean install or wait for the next update?

Thanks

I suspect it’s latency added by the Pitch block and visible because of where the tuner’s internal feed taps into the incoming signal.

Cliff said…
"Pitch shifting necessarily adds latency. Pitch shifting is a perceptual process. It requires a reasonable amount of history to work. This adds latency. Typically 20ms and up. Some people are more tolerant to latency than others. I've compared the latency of our algorithm to other products and ours is equal or better but there is latency in any pitch shifter. All pitch shifters have tradeoffs. The lower the latency the more prone they are to tremolo artifacts, double transients and other issues. Solving those issues increases the latency and the computational burden. The only pitch shifting algorithm that has negligible latency is the "Rollers" algorithm but that requires insane amounts of CPU and the samples I've heard aren't impressive. It also has its share of issues (smearing, chirping)." [9]

See CPU usage and latency for more information.

Reactions: Rex
Bootup time is wayyyy longer now
I suspect it’s because you are waiting for it to boot; As they say, “A watched pot never boils.” I timed the FM3 Mk I and it only added about 45 seconds IIRC when processing the Dyna-Cabs, and it’s a slower unit than the FM9.

I power the FM9 up and do other things like tune the guitar or get a cup of tea, and it’s ready when I come back to it.

I commented on someone’s post but in setlist mode on the front panel knob C isn’t moving the song within the setlist it’s just navigating. This is happening in setlist 2, 3 and 4. Set 1 is fine. I’m on latest firmware and the bizarre thing is it happens on both FM3 and FM9 units

For the first time since 2018, I'm starting to not trust my Fractal units live. I'm having lots of weird issues. Ghost blocks in the editor. I'm unable to open and close blocks in the editor. When playing in setlist mode, on certain presets I get a crazy delay, ring mod type sound on a simple amp, cab, drive setting when there's no ring mod or delay even in the preset, when I open it in the editor, nothing is there and the sound has disappeared.

These issues have been with the FM9. I have an Axe 3 but I don't want to start gigging with it as its installed in the studio. My unflinching trust in Fractal is slowly diminishing.

I've trued numerous fixes but issues keep cropping up.

I think I have found a bug in the Metal Zone pedal model. It seems like the "post eq" settings are not always being loaded. Example, I set the 2500 and 4000 sliders for a slight boost, but sometimes they are boosted when I load the preset or change scenes and sometimes they aren't. Sometimes the engage or disengage right in the middle of playing something. It's weird and I've never had it happen before.

For the first time since 2018, I'm starting to not trust my Fractal units live. I'm having lots of weird issues. Ghost blocks in the editor. I'm unable to open and close blocks in the editor. When playing in setlist mode, on certain presets I get a crazy delay, ring mod type sound on a simple amp, cab, drive setting when there's no ring mod or delay even in the preset, when I open it in the editor, nothing is there and the sound has disappeared.

These issues have been with the FM9. I have an Axe 3 but I don't want to start gigging with it as its installed in the studio. My unflinching trust in Fractal is slowly diminishing.

I've trued numerous fixes but issues keep cropping up.
The ghost blocks issue was raised by me to the private beta team. They do not affect the preset or the sound.

If you have presets with issues, it's best to post a thread and link the presets.

Back
Top Bottom