FM9 Editor v1.01.08 - Reading block definitions - Problem

Ubaldo

Good morning, everyone. I have downloaded and installed the new editor for FM9. Unfortunately it gives me this "error":

' Reading block definitions. This occurs when saved definitions do not match those in the connected device '.

What do you think it depends on? What can I do? Thankyou

Resolved!

I had to reset FM9 to the original factory parameters. However this is no good, I have to set the parameters again as I wish

I have the same error message and then the editor closes and freezes the unit. I've tried different cables and USB ports to no avail. Without the editor I'm at an impasse.

I have the same error message and then the editor closes and freezes the unit. I've tried different cables and USB ports to no avail. Without the editor I'm at an impasse.

Any chance you have the firmware and editor versions mismatched? Which version of the editor and firmware are you on?

I'm having the same problem... It took several hours to refresh the editor after the latest firmware update, as it is reading everything. Then the next day lost connection and I'm having to run through the refresh all over again. Currently on a Mac with M1, but I haven't had this problem before.

Last edited:
I'm having the problem... It took several hours to refresh the editor after the latest firmware update, as it is reading everything. Then the next day lost connection and I'm having to run through the refresh all over again. Currently on a Mac with M1, but I haven't had this problem before.
Several hours?

I run it on a several year old Intel iMacPro and it finishes in a couple minutes. As part of testing I have it running often, often multiple times daily.

How many USB devices do you have connected, is there an hub between the modeler and the computer, and how long is the USB cable?

Any chance you have the firmware and editor versions mismatched? Which version of the editor and firmware are you on?
The firmware and editor versions can be out of sync without seeing it force the update.

The reason we want to make sure they’re current is so that the editor is able to display the currently defined parameters.

If the editor is current and the firmware is older the editor will sense that and will be happy.

Update - I deleted the Fractal Editor and then the Editor folder in My Docs, restarted my computer and reinstalled the new editor and it's working as designed... All is good... Thank you

I have tried everything under the sun to make the FM9 editor communicate with my Lenova laptop. Total deletion of the fm9 editor and a total clean install doesn't seem to work for the install exe file. Fractal bot doesn't help. Swapping USB cables doesn't help. Setting ports to Windows default does not help.Running the program as an Administrator in all forms of windows comparability mode doesn't help. I own and have experience installing multiple ports with line 6 helix, stomp xl, boss gt 1000 tonex and 7 different interfaces. Nothing is helping the communication port issue with the fm9 editor. I've spent countless hours on the above and feel like there may be a potential software bug in the system. The program simply cannot read the blocks and crashes in seconds offering no alternatives. I am hoping fractal will supply an update to find a fix to the above.

I have tried everything under the sun to make the FM9 editor communicate with my Lenova laptop. Total deletion of the fm9 editor and a total clean install doesn't seem to work for the install exe file. Fractal bot doesn't help. Swapping USB cables doesn't help. Setting ports to Windows default does not help.Running the program as an Administrator in all forms of windows comparability mode doesn't help. I own and have experience installing multiple ports with line 6 helix, stomp xl, boss gt 1000 tonex and 7 different interfaces. Nothing is helping the communication port issue with the fm9 editor. I've spent countless hours on the above and feel like there may be a potential software bug in the system. The program simply cannot read the blocks and crashes in seconds offering no alternatives. I am hoping fractal will supply an update to find a fix to the above.
Contact Fractal support. This isn't a problem that others seem to be encountering.

How long is your cable? Are you connecting via hub?

What firmware version? What FM9-Edit version? Please don't say "latest" - provide actual version numbers.

Several hours?

I run it on a several year old Intel iMacPro and it finishes in a couple minutes. As part of testing I have it running often, often multiple times daily.

How many USB devices do you have connected, is there an hub between the modeler and the computer, and how long is the USB cable?
Update - I deleted the Fractal Editor and then the Editor folder in My Docs, restarted my computer and reinstalled the new editor and it's working as designed... All is good... Thank you

Contact Fractal support. This isn't a problem that others seem to be encountering.

What firmware version? What FM9-Edit version? Please don't say "latest" - provide actual version numbers.
FM Editor 1.02.04
Firmware Version 5

What firmware version? What FM9-Edit version?
Firmware vers 5.0 FM-9 Edit 1.02.04 Windows 64 bit Windows USB driver 5.12
Lenovo Windows 11 gaming laptop i5 64 gig ram, dual solid state fast access drives, USB cables shielded 2, 4 and 6 foot in length, Furman power conditioner. No hubs, USB ports are dedicated and nothing else is connected through any remaining USB ports. All other USB ports were initially enabled and then disabled one by one with sole ports dedication to only fractal components using fm9 provided windows drivers and remaining mandated operational drivers. The FM 9 editor was uninstalled using Revo Uninstalled and all traces within the windows registry were confirmed deleted and uninstalled before a reinstall of the FM 9 editor. There are no issues with the USB ports nor conflicting addresses.
The FM 9 editor closes in Windows 11 after the initial communication link. I have reset the firmware thru the fractal bot manually.
Same effect still occurs. I am sure there could be many reasons for the above. I only wish I had a clue through the initialization of the software boot to tell me why.

Please don't say "latest" - provide actual version numbers.

FM Editor 1.02.04
Firmware Version 5

Firmware vers 5.0 FM-9 Edit 1.02.04 Windows 64 bit Windows USB driver 5.12
Lenovo Windows 11 gaming laptop i5 64 gig ram, dual solid state fast access drives, USB cables shielded 2, 4 and 6 foot in length, Furman power conditioner. No hubs, USB ports are dedicated and nothing else is connected through any remaining USB ports. All other USB ports were initially enabled and then disabled one by one with sole ports dedication to only fractal components using fm9 provided windows drivers and remaining mandated operational drivers. The FM 9 editor was uninstalled using Revo Uninstalled and all traces within the windows registry were confirmed deleted and uninstalled before a reinstall of the FM 9 editor. There are no issues with the USB ports nor conflicting addresses.
The FM 9 editor closes in Windows 11 after the initial communication link. I have reset the firmware thru the fractal bot manually.
Same effect still occurs. I am sure there could be many reasons for the above. I only wish I had a clue through the initialization of the software boot to tell me why.
Thanks for the details.

Everything there sounds "correct", so that's good.

Because this sounds different than the typical problems I'd really encourage you to open a support request with Fractal.

The firmware and editor versions can be out of sync without seeing it force the update.

The reason we want to make sure they’re current is so that the editor is able to display the currently defined parameters.

If the editor is current and the firmware is older the editor will sense that and will be happy.
Hi Greg,

I'm new here and a still way behind the curve in trying to learn everything without making things more complicated myself. I recently had updated to FM9 Firmware Version 4.01 but did not download the the matching FM9 Editor Version 1.01.08 at the time. So today I tried an older link here on the Fractal Forum that Michael Pickens posted on April 7th, 2023. Unfortunately, it seems the older FM9 Editor Version 1.01.08 has been replaced to the newer version.

Reading what you have written (if I'm understanding things correctly) I could simply download the most current FM9 Editor Version 1.02.05 from September 13, 2023 and it will still work fine with my older version of the FM9 4.01 Firmware without any issues? Or is there still some way to download the older matching FM9 Editor Version 1.01.08?

Much appreciation for your help.

Last edited:
Reading what you have written (if I'm undressing things correctly) I could simply download the most current FM9 Editor Version 1.02.05 from September 13, 2023 and it will still work fine with my older version of the FM9 4.01 Firmware without any issues?
In my experience, yes.

Remember, the modeler itself is the boss, it’s the source of all truth about what the modeler and Edit can do with the current firmware. The Edit application, because it sits to the side and interprets the information from the modeler, has to have the interface, the controls, in place in the GUI for everything that the modeler can do. When Fractal updates the modeler’s front-panel interface, Edit has to be updated also in step, in order to present the GUI we use on our computers.

That’s logical when you think about it; Edit’s code written recently should know everything about previous versions of this firmware. Flipping that, older versions of the Edit application have no idea what would occur in the future in the modeler.

Right?

Reactions: G12
Hi Greg,

Got it! Thanks very much for that very informative and logical explanation of how the modeler itself is "the boss" and how the most recent Edit code firmware is the aggregate of all previous code history.

Just curious though if an archive of previous Edit Firmware versions exist for users to download like FM9 Editor Version 1.01.08?

Thanks again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom