FM9 edit

golfnut

Last night was my first night with the new FM9. Being a technology guy all my life (IT professional 30 years) I was comfortable to sit with it and stumble around. I spent an your on the unit it self and did figure some things out. But when I downloaded FM9 edit things changed drastically. In no time at all (couple hours) I had it gig ready. Nearly.
So just wondering, who takes a laptop with them on a gig for on the fly edits? I hope to eventually learn how to do this on the unit but I think no matter what it would be easier in the computer program. I just don't know where I'd place it for easy access on the stage. Don't want to carry some table. Trying to cut down on things to haul. I have a surface pro. I could get an attachment to fix the surface pro to a mic stand.

Last night was my first night with the new FM9. Being a technology guy all my life (IT professional 30 years) I was comfortable to sit with it and stumble around. I spent an your on the unit it self and did figure some things out. But when I downloaded FM9 edit things changed drastically. In no time at all (couple hours) I had it gig ready. Nearly.
So just wondering, who takes a laptop with them on a gig for on the fly edits? I hope to eventually learn how to do this on the unit but I think no matter what it would be easier in the computer program. I just don't know where I'd place it for easy access on the stage. Don't want to carry some table. Trying to cut down on things to haul. I have a surface pro. I could get an attachment to fix the surface pro to a mic stand.
FM9 Edit is a great tool, but I strongly recommend that you force yourself to use the FM9 interface directly. There are some settings and functions that can ONLY be done on the pedal itself. And to your point, bring a laptop to a gig isn't ideal. Personally, (an IT Pro as well), it took me about 2 hours of being forced to program on the pedal directly (bug in MacOS made FM9 Edit unusable) to get comfortable with it. I still use FM9 Edit when it's convenient, or for managing presets/cabs, and I typically have my laptop at gigs just in case, but I find that I'm doing more and more on the pedal itself.

FM9 Edit is a great tool, but I strongly recommend that you force yourself to use the FM9 interface directly. There are some settings and functions that can ONLY be done on the pedal itself. And to your point, bring a laptop to a gig isn't ideal. Personally, (an IT Pro as well), it took me about 2 hours of being forced to program on the pedal directly (bug in MacOS made FM9 Edit unusable) to get comfortable with it. I still use FM9 Edit when it's convenient, or for managing presets/cabs, and I typically have my laptop at gigs just in case, but I find that I'm doing more and more on the pedal itself.
Curious what some of these functions are. I use the editor almost exclusively, so it's likely I've never had a chance to review these.

Curious what some of these functions are. I use the editor almost exclusively, so it's likely I've never had a chance to review these.
Off the top of my head, assigning midi commands to Control Switches can only be done on the pedal. I know there are a few others as well, but they're escaping my mind atm.

Check out the 'perform page' which lets you assign most knobs to the front panel for gigging. Doesn't replace the need to deep dive the front panel, but it does take care of 99.57% (yes, scientifically calculated) of my gigging needs.

Check out the 'perform page' which lets you assign most knobs to the front panel for gigging. Doesn't replace the need to deep dive the front panel, but it does take care of 99.57% (yes, scientifically calculated) of my gigging needs.
Fantastic tip actually. I've been meaning to do this, but keep forgetting about it.

Off the top of my head, assigning midi commands to Control Switches can only be done on the pedal. I know there are a few others as well, but they're escaping my mind atm.
This is one that bugs me more than anything. Editing midi commands would be so much easier on FM Edit. Really not sure why they omitted that from the editor.

Using the perform page is a great way of having access to some important parameters on the gig. In addition to that though, there's shortcuts that can take you to various blocks on the unit.
The A B C D E controls under the screen on the FM9 can take you to blocks when double clicked.

A = Amp
B = Drive
C = Cab
D = Delay
E = Reverb

Since my original purchase and use of the Ultra and subsequent years of using the II and III, I always used Axe-Edit to tweak absolutely everything. That all changed when I joined my most recent band. I STRONGLY advise anyone who is gigging to get proficient with the front panel. Few scenarios are worse than needing to change something on stage during sound check (or worse, during the actual show), and you're crouching there, fumbling through menus trying to figure it out on the fly while everyone is waiting. Unfortunately, I know this first hand.

My advice: get a laptop and install Axe-Edit, Fractalbot, and all of your backup files for presets, IRs, etc. But be just as comfortable and proficient using the front panel. Learn it inside and out. You will eventually thank yourself for doing it.

Back
Top Bottom