FM9-Edit really slow at higher CPU usage

strabes

Experienced
Vendor
Anyone else experiencing FM9-Edit slowing way down when CPU usage is close to the red? It's basically unusable on my bigger presets. Using the same cable + port I use with my AX3 which remains fast even on larger presets.

Also, none of my per-preset footswitches on my AX3 presets imported onto the FM9. Anyone else?

CPU over 80% is pushing it, and can easily slip into dropouts. The system will sacrifice the responsiveness to Edit requests to try to preserve the sound quality.

If your presets push the CPU that hard and you have to have that complexity, perhaps a FX3 would be a better choice for you.

CPU over 80% is pushing it, and can easily slip into dropouts. The system will sacrifice the responsiveness to Edit requests to try to preserve the sound quality.

If your presets push the CPU that hard and you have to have that complexity, perhaps a FX3 would be a better choice for you.
As I said in my OP, I already have an AX3, and Axe-Edit doesn’t noticeably slow down on AX3 presets with 80%+ CPU usage. I’m asking why there is a difference in editor performance between the two units at similar CPU usage, if anyone else has experienced the same decrease in speed, and if anyone else’s AX3 per preset footswitches didn’t import correctly into the FM9.

Last edited:
As I said in my OP, I already have an AX3, and Axe-Edit doesn’t noticeably slow down on AX3 presets with 80%+ CPU usage. I’m asking why there is a difference in editor performance between the two units at similar CPU usage, if anyone else has experienced the same decrease in speed, and if anyone else’s AX3 per preset footswitches didn’t import correctly into the FM9.
You are comparing first generation firmware on the FM9 with second generation firmware on the FX3 after it has had many, many, updates. There might be some optimizations and bug fixes that occurred in the years since the FX3 came out, right?

The two run Cygnus, but that’s really the modeling code responsible for the generation of the sound of the blocks. There’s an entire OS layer underneath it that talks to the interface and hardware which has to be tweaked for the specific platform, in this case, the FM9. Both the FX3 and FM3 have had opportunities to be tweaked, so it is the FM9’s turn.

You are comparing first generation firmware on the FM9 with second generation firmware on the FX3 after it has had many, many, updates. There might be some optimizations and bug fixes that occurred in the years since the FX3 came out, right?

There certainly could have been. If AX3 had the issues I mentioned when it was released and they were later fixed, that would be helpful information to know. However the speed of Axe-edit on presets with high CPU usage hasn’t noticeably changed since I got my mki close to 2 years ago. If dicxjonesify and I are the only two people with the issue on FM9 then perhaps someone else can help us address it.

Last edited:
Why were these experiences not used immediately? Maybe FM9 appeared too early?
May you be right that the upgrade will solve this problem.
Maybe it’s because you’re comparing it to a unit with 2x the processing power. They’ll handle the 80% differently just because of the physical hardware differences. It’s a brand new unit, give it time.
"FM3 and FM9 use the same SHARC+ family as the QC. FM9 has same number of cores so power should be comparable."-wiki

FM9 is two FM3 in one package. This is no different platform. Everything should work right away, at least at the FM3 level.

I tend to pause edit when making my switches. Then I’ll unpause and tweak…. When it’s time to really go over things I do it off edit.

Anyone else experiencing FM9-Edit slowing way down when CPU usage is close to the red? It's basically unusable on my bigger presets. Using the same cable + port I use with my AX3 which remains fast even on larger presets.

Also, none of my per-preset footswitches on my AX3 presets imported onto the FM9. Anyone else?
I've experienced the same lag in FM9-Edit (Mac version) when the CPU is running high. I first noticed it when I moved one of my AX3 presets to the FM9 and in the editor is showed 11% CPU but the hardware was flashing a CPU limit message. This is when I first noticed the editor responding slowly to the point that it was almost unusable until I was able to drop a few blocks to reduce the CPU load. Once I brought down the CPU load the editor started to respond like normal. I can reproduce the behavior by importing a kitchen sink preset from my AX3 to the FM9.

Are you using the Mac version or Windows version of the editor. I'm using the MAC version so it would be interesting to see if the Windows editor behaves similarly.

I chalk this up to version 1 of the editor, I recall issues with the FM3 editor and the AX3 editor when they were first released as well, I'm sure this will be addressed with an update in the near future.

The editor is likely competing for resources which is slowing down response times for the software editor. Post it up on the bug board if it's not already there.

I've experienced the same lag in FM9-Edit (Mac version) when the CPU is running high. I first noticed it when I moved one of my AX3 presets to the FM9 and in the editor is showed 11% CPU but the hardware was flashing a CPU limit message. This is when I first noticed the editor responding slowly to the point that it was almost unusable until I was able to drop a few blocks to reduce the CPU load. Once I brought down the CPU load the editor started to respond like normal. I can reproduce the behavior by importing a kitchen sink preset from my AX3 to the FM9.

Are you using the Mac version or Windows version of the editor. I'm using the MAC version so it would be interesting to see if the Windows editor behaves similarly.

I chalk this up to version 1 of the editor, I recall issues with the FM3 editor and the AX3 editor when they were first released as well, I'm sure this will be addressed with an update in the near future.

The editor is likely competing for resources which is slowing down response times for the software editor. Post it up on the bug board if it's not already there.
Thanks. I’m using both mac and PC.

I am seeing a lot of intermittent startup not loading on the FM9. Using the same cable that was on my III. It almost always will never load at initial start and slow on stock preset changes. I hooked everything back to the 3 and it works fine

Then don't do over 80%.

Not rocket science. This unit is designed on a live unit. Learn to work with it, or stick with the III. The FM9 is plenty capable, but the 'kitchen sink' folks are going to have to find another way...(like the whole scenes and other presets is too complicated.)

Just saying.
Not necessarily. I've got most of my Axe Fx III kitchen sink preset ported over to the FM9.

The editor does get very slow when I'm pushing over 80%, but we already know it's not intended for live use so I don't care. I don't notice any issues with the FM9 itself.

I do agree that the editor is significantly slower when the FM9 is in the danger zone compared to the Axe Fx pushed to the same level... But, this is FW 1.0 and the first version of the editor so I expect we'll see improvement.

Back
Top Bottom