FM9-Edit Latency

jdasader

FM9-Edit 1.02.12
FM9 FW: 8.00 - beta
MacBook Air M2
MacOS Sequia 15.0 beta 3

I'm experiencing pretty severe latency in FM9-Edit.I can connect to the device without issue, but navigating settings, changing scene or presets, or even footswitch layouts can take forever. For example, changing scenes takes 15+ seconds. Curious what I candy to diagnose.I've looked at the Block Library and Preset Translation logs but they don't have anything recent in them. Are there any other logs, or diagnostics I can do to troubleshoot?

FM9-Edit 1.02.12
MacBook Air M2
MacOS Sequia 15.0 beta 3

I'm experiencing pretty severe latency in FM9-Edit.I can connect to the device without issue, but navigating settings, changing scene or presets, or even footswitch layouts can take forever. For example, changing scenes takes 15+ seconds. Curious what I candy to diagnose.I've looked at the Block Library and Preset Translation logs but they don't have anything recent in them. Are there any other logs, or diagnostics I can do to troubleshoot?
That’s a classic symptom of a preset that uses too much CPU. When the CPU gets overloaded, control speed is the first thing to get starved. The FM9 does whatever it can to keep processing audio.

That’s a classic symptom of a preset that uses too much CPU. When the CPU gets overloaded, control speed is the first thing to get starved. The FM0 does whatever it can to keep processing audio.
Thx for the feedback. However, I've tried several presets and get the same latency. I should have included that info. The preset I'm testing in is sitting at 62% CPU.

Thx for the feedback. However, I've tried several presets and get the same latency. I should have included that info. The preset I'm testing in is sitting at 62% CPU.
That’s odd. Fire up the stand-alone version of Fractal-Bot, and see if there’s any improvement in response time.

That’s odd. Fire up the stand-alone version of Fractal-Bot, and see if there’s any improvement in response time.
Good call. Just tested it. Took 15s to connect to the FM9, and 1:29 to back up one bank (Preset bank A 000-127). I've never backup with Fractal-Bot before so I'm not sure how those stats compare. The connection time feels lengthy though.

Good call. Just tested it. Took 15s to connect to the FM9, and 1:29 to back up one bank (Preset bank A 000-127). I've never backup with Fractal-Bot before so I'm not sure how those stats compare. The connection time feels lengthy though.
Your connection time was longer than it should have been. The duration of the backup was not out of line.

Try another USB port on your computer. Don’t forget to try one of the rear ports, which often have a more direct connection to the processor.

Your connection time was longer than it should have been. The duration of the backup was not out of line.

Try another USB port on your computer. Don’t forget to try one of the rear ports, which often have a more direct connection to the processor.
Good to know about the backup time. FWIW, I'm on an MacBook Air. Only two USB-C ports on the side. I've tested both, as well as different cables. Same results. This behavior is also new, but I don't recall if it was introduced around the time of the latest Fractal beta release, or the last MacOS release. And yeah I know I'm playing with fire using multiple beta releases. But, it was working fine just a while ago. And I realize it may totally by an OS issue. Just wasn't sure if there was some other way to diagnose... I might be able to find another Mac that doesn't have the beta s/w on it... might give that a shot if I can. In the meantime, open to any other suggestions or logs I can pull.

FM9-Edit 1.02.12
MacBook Air M2
MacOS Sequia 15.0 beta 3

It’s the MacOS 15.0 Beta (both 3 and 4). When you run beta operating systems be prepared for issues. Seems Apple broke something with MIDI over USB. I responded to a thread in the FM3-Edit area with the same thing. I’m going to do a sys diag and report to Apple if still broken in Beta 5. Nothing for FAS to do here.

It’s the MacOS 15.0 Beta (both 3 and 4). When you run beta operating systems be prepared for issues. Seems Apple broke something with MIDI over USB. I responded to a thread in the FM3-Edit area with the same thing. I’m going to do a sys diag and report to Apple if still broken in Beta 5. Nothing for FAS to do here.
Ah, makes sense. Thx for chiming in. And you're right, I am certainly prepared for issues running so many betas.

Ah, makes sense. Thx for chiming in. And you're right, I am certainly prepared for issues running so many betas.
I have a MBP Pro that I tried the new Macos 15 public beta with FM9 8.0 beta and editing and communication was trashed by the OS beta.
Dropped back to 14.5 and all is fine now.

New Beta 4 drop today. Just updated and the latency issues in the editor (AKA Midi over USB) seem to be resolved. Not having the horrible latency every time I change a scene/preset or modify something within a preset.

Back
Top Bottom