FM9 Case?

With 3 shows behind me using the new FM9 I can say I'm really impressed with every component including the Pelican vault. My FM9 is very secure and protected and the weight isn't bad at all compared to lugging a combo amp and a case of pedals around. The Temple board is everything I could ask for, set-up is under 5 minutes and the sound is so consistent that I shake my head every time I finish a sound check.

Attachments

• JOE (3).jpeg
    JOE (3).jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 147
  • Resized_20230304_170827.jpeg
    Resized_20230304_170827.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 146
With 3 shows behind me using the new FM9 I can say I'm really impressed with every component including the Pelican vault. My FM9 is very secure and protected and the weight isn't bad at all compared to lugging a combo amp and a case of pedals around. The Temple board is everything I could ask for, set-up is under 5 minutes and the sound is so consistent that I shake my head every time I finish a sound check.
Does the Pelican have the space for the Temple Audio and a mounted FM9 or do you carry them separately?

Just received a Deluxe Studio Slips bag.. if this is double-padding I'd hate to see what single padding is. It's hard to tell, but it sure doesn't seem like 5/8" worth of padding - even uncompressed, I can compress it down to probably 1-2mm. The construction seems top-shelf, but I was expecting a tighter/snugger fit. I've owned clamshells in the past for a head and cabinet, and the padding in them seemed more robust (going off memory as I don't own them any longer). It's definitely not as thick as the soft case of my Mono pedalboard.

Would absolutely not buy again at $235. I think might look start looking into hard-case options.
I have a bunch of their bags and they work really well. They're not flight cases, nor are they meant to be, they're for commuters on trains or top-loaded in the trunk of a car, for which the padding works perfectly. Studio Slips knows what they're doing, they're well respected, they've been making these for years and people use them for years because they're really well made. They're also a member of this forum.

As for fit, the FM9 and FC12 are the same size, and I use the bag interchangeably when my FM9 isn't on the board. Here are two photos of my FC12 in the bag showing the fit. When zipped, the padding pulls up to the frame and just touches, exactly where it should be for this sort of bag. In the second photo, I moved the edge of the bag to approximately where it is when the bag is zipped, and, at the same time the back would pull up to the rear of the unit fitting similarly. If it compressed then the padding would eventually compress and would transmit shock to the unit itself.

IMG_2396.jpeg
IMG_2398.png

If someone expects a road case, then I'd strongly recommend finding a good quality hardshell case with at least 1" medium-density foam in every direction, including between other items inside the case, with preferably 1.5" around the sides if you're concerned about how baggage handlers might handle your gear. It'll weigh more and be less maneuverable but for that duty, it's to be expected. It'll also put dents in doors and bruise shins; How do I know?… :)

You can use the "soft-shell" cases that zip but I don't really like them because they give a false sense of security. Their padding is thicker, but it's also denser which transmits shock to the items inside the case. I have two in the garage that I quit using once I got the Studio Slips.

Pelican are the only hardshell case I'd look at. I had a really big one for all my strobes when I was doing pro-rodeo photography and a smaller one for my cameras and lenses that I'd stand on to get up the fence when it didn't have railings. They were beaten up, scratched all to heck, and had mud jammed into the corners of the latches. I'd occasionally hose them off, but they never leaked or failed.

Pelican are the only hardshell case I'd look at. I had a really big one for all my strobes when I was doing pro-rodeo photography and a smaller one for my cameras and lenses that I'd stand on to get up the fence when it didn't have railings. They were beaten up, scratched all to heck, and had mud jammed into the corners of the latches. I'd occasionally hose them off, but they never leaked or failed.
I’ve used a Pelican case for my spare tubes for a long time. 👍🏻👍🏻

For those of us primarily concerned with weight/size, this is the Pedaltrain Metro 24 Deluxe case which can be purchased separately without the board for $80 USD on Amazon. Wish they still had the premium cases available but the Deluxe case is still quite good. Fine for local stuff and carrying on a plane. Model number is PT-M24-MX-X. Plenty of room in the outer pocket for cables, GLXD6 receiver, etc. If you use a TRS cable with right angle pancake plugs you could leave your exp pedal connected while in the bag.

IMG_4851.jpg

Last edited:
For those of us primarily concerned with weight/size, this is the Pedaltrain Metro 24 Deluxe case which can be purchased separately without the board for $80 USD on Amazon. Wish they still had the premium cases available but the Deluxe case is still quite good. Fine for local stuff and carrying on a plane. Model number is PT-M24-MX-X. Plenty of room in the outer pocket for cables, GLXD6 receiver, etc. If you use a TRS cable with right angle pancake plugs you could leave your exp pedal connected while in the bag. If you don't use an exp pedal the Gator GK-2110 is slightly smaller and only $60 USD. For a little more room the Boss Bag-L2 is $60 USD and slightly bigger than this metro 24 case.

View attachment 119328

Hi Alex, Happy Birthday BTW!! Good info, thank you!!

I have the large FAS EV-1 pedal and that won't fit in there, although I bet it would fit in the accessory pouch.
I ordered the Metro 20 version, which according to folks here, the FM9 should fit. It doesn't. My unit is too big. I have to make it fit and wrestle it in there. Back to the drawing board.

Hi Alex, Happy Birthday BTW!! Good info, thank you!!

I have the large FAS EV-1 pedal and that won't fit in there, although I bet it would fit in the accessory pouch.
I ordered the Metro 20 version, which according to folks here, the FM9 should fit. It doesn't. My unit is too big. I have to make it fit and wrestle it in there. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks! Try this, it's only $60 and slightly bigger than the metro 24 bag: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BossBagL2--boss-bag-l2-large-bag

Last edited:
For those of us primarily concerned with weight/size, this is the Pedaltrain Metro 24 Deluxe case which can be purchased separately without the board for $80 USD on Amazon. Wish they still had the premium cases available but the Deluxe case is still quite good. Fine for local stuff and carrying on a plane. Model number is PT-M24-MX-X. Plenty of room in the outer pocket for cables, GLXD6 receiver, etc. If you use a TRS cable with right angle pancake plugs you could leave your exp pedal connected while in the bag.

View attachment 119328
I'm currently using my Metro 24 bag for my FM9. It fits fine but I'm getting concerned as to whether its durable enough for the weight. I'm seeing signs that the stitching is begging to pull.

That's a great looking rig. Is that the Temple Duo 34 board? My fm9 is in the mail and I'm trying to determine which case I need. That size looks perfect. Thanks!

For your guys that own the SKB SC2111, will the outside pouch fit the FAS EV-1, or can you provide a rough dimension of the accessory pouch?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom