FM9 Backups are SLOW

Deffo some issues with comms in and out of the FM9.

I have noticed the slowness in backups, and even on an empty preset, it's not fast.

Also, I have been able to make preset adjustments in FM9Edit quickly enough while setting up my presets (via copy/paste, and just plain fast mousing) that are fast enough to lock the FM9 up, requiring doing a power cycle to restore control of the unit. Sure fire way to tell is the tempo light and tap tempo switch stop blinking, and even front panel controls are unresponsive....

Yes there are definitely issues. I did a backup and now my presets are whacky. Amp channels have been switched around to random amps, and setting are different. I have a gig tomorrow and foolish me brought the new FM9, instead of the proven and stable FM3 lol.

I think it may be related to importing my kitchen sink FM3 preset into the FM9. I made some minor tweaks, like lining it up on the grid better and adding a couple shunts to that it goes end to end on the row. But I went thru every scene carefully and leveled everything. I did a backup and suddenly I notice that channels arent right - totally random amp selections. I fixed it, but now I'm scared to backup again. I think when I get home I will manually match settings of my fave FM3 presets blocks and dial them into the FM9. Or, maybe even save all my fave blocks and bring them over that way. At this point its just a guess as to what scrambled my presets.

Has anyone else noticed the "ghosting" of random blocks in FM9-edit? Often times The grid will load and then at random intervals blocks will appear/disappear/reappear? Doesn't effect the sound. Not sure if it's the communication between devices, the software, or the FM9, but it occurs at least once each time I use the unit (which is almost always while connected to FM9-edit unless performing).

Deffo some issues with comms in and out of the FM9.

I have noticed the slowness in backups, and even on an empty preset, it's not fast.

Also, I have been able to make preset adjustments in FM9Edit quickly enough while setting up my presets (via copy/paste, and just plain fast mousing) that are fast enough to lock the FM9 up, requiring doing a power cycle to restore control of the unit. Sure fire way to tell is the tempo light and tap tempo switch stop blinking, and even front panel controls are unresponsive....
As a matter of habit, I reset my units to the factory settings and reload the firmware and reset the layout when I get them.

It doesn't seem like that'd make a difference since the unit has that done to it at the factory, and maybe it's a waste of time, but, it's my own superstitious nature being manifested.

I'm gonna assume you swapped the USB cable with the one for your FX3 to see what happened. Oh. I said it with my outside voice… so much for an assumption. :)

This morning I ran the FX3 and FM9 backups in parallel, setting up both so I only had to click the OK button to get them running. The FX3 steadily trailed the FM9 by about three presets all the way through the preset banks until the FX3 hit the extra banks. I watched as the FM9 chugged through the User IR bank, and, once the FX3 hit those it was significantly faster, but, up to that point they were keeping pace with each other.

So, the only difference I could see between the two, which share the same USB chip, was during the IR backups.

I'm on an iMac Pro running Big Sur v11.6 and the USB cables for both units are on the USB-A ports with no intervening hub.

Last edited:
As a matter of habit, I reset my units to the factory settings and reload the firmware and reset the layout when I get them.

It doesn't seem like that'd make a difference since the unit has that done to it at the factory, and maybe it's a waste of time, but, it's my own superstitious nature being manifested.

I'm gonna assume you swapped the USB cable with the one for your FX3 to see what happened. Oh. I said it with my outside voice… so much for an assumption. :)

This morning I ran the FX3 and FM9 backups in parallel, setting up both so I only had to click the OK button to get them running. The FX3 steadily trailed the FM9 by about three presets all the way through the preset banks until the FX3 hit the extra banks. I watched as the FM9 chugged through the User IR bank, and, once the FX3 hit those it was significantly faster, but, up to that point they were keeping pace with each other.

So, the only difference I could see between the two, which share the same USB chip, was during the IR backups.

I'm on an iMac Pro running Big Sur v11.6 and the USB cables for both units are on the USB-A ports with no intervening hub.

Yes, new, shorter USB A-> B cable helped, but FM9 still occasionally locks up with heavy editing traffic from FM9Edit. I have to pace myself when editing. Presets were imported from FX3, and are trimmed versions of my old FX3 presets, basically the first row only: wah, comp/drive/filter, amp, cab, peq, gate, volpan (recently removed since last posting).

Macbook Pro final Intel version, running Big Sur, USB plugged into an OWC Thunderbolt3 dock connected to laptop.

Just found this thread because I came to search and see if others are talking about the FM9 backup being SLOW!

I too just noticed the “empty preset” warning AFTER I initiated a full backup. I swear it’s been going for 20 minutes now. As soon as it’s done, I’m going to load up an empty preset and do another complete backup and time it.

But like right now - it’s on “Now Receiving: User Cab Bank“ at slot 700. I’ve only loaded in less than 100 IRs. Why is it going through these at a snail‘s pace?

Okay - redid it after loading a blank preset and the timed completion for full backup was right at 7 minutes. Much better than the 20-25 minutes prior to that.

I also find that either I can’t initiate a backup while FM9-Edit is running, or FM9-Edit will crash and close after I kickoff a backup in Fractal Bot. Note - I don’t touch the FM9 or play or do anything while backing up.

Back
Top Bottom