FM9 and FC12

dB

Inspired
I currently use the Axe-FX III and rjm Mastermind GT22. I am contemplating the move to an FM9 & FC12 but was dreaming up a configuration I have not seen anybody else use (there's probably a reason why). I'd like to stack the FM9 on top of the FC12, but staggering them so just the FC12 main display is covered. This way I could mount my 1/2 rack wireless and IEM system under the FM9. I'd use the display on the FM9 to monitor what preset/scene I'm on. Since I don't know anyone locally with either unit, I don't know if this would work. Your thoughts on this format?

I currently use the Axe-FX III and rjm Mastermind GT22. I am contemplating the move to an FM9 & FC12 but was dreaming up a configuration I have not seen anybody else use (there's probably a reason why). I'd like to stack the FM9 on top of the FC12, but staggering them so just the FC12 main display is covered. This way I could mount my 1/2 rack wireless and IEM system under the FM9. I'd use the display on the FM9 to monitor what preset/scene I'm on. Since I don't know anyone locally with either unit, I don't know if this would work. Your thoughts on this format?
It’d probably work good enough.

Finding a pedal board to support the dual layers might be a challenge, because the two units need a “24” type board, something that’d fit 20.2” W. × 3.5” H. × 9.3” D, per the manual, for each layer. The back connectors would stick out another 3-4” unless you use all right angle and ultra-short XLR connectors. And you’d double the weight of the system.

The FM9+FC12 combination is very useful as far as setting up layouts, but the built-in factory layouts don’t have that combination if I remember correctly. If you haven’t built a layout there’s a learning curve, but we can help, and I might have one already made that I did to help another user.

The FM9 by itself is very flexible and its built-in OFM9G layout works well, and is easily adjusted to a user’s needs. Adding the FC6 to it gives plenty of buttons, and at that point I’d just stick the FC6 to the side rather than put it all into one board. You could still put the other components underneath the main board and if you wanted to travel “light” temporarily switch back to the built-in OFM9G layout.

Reactions: dB

Finding a pedal board to support the dual layers might be a challenge, because the two units need a “24” type board, something that’d fit 20.2” W. × 3.5” H. × 9.3” D, per the manual, for each layer. The back connectors would stick out another 3-4” unless you use all right angle and ultra-short XLR connectors. And you’d double the weight of the system.

The FM9+FC12 combination is very useful as far as setting up layouts, but the built-in factory layouts don’t have that combination if I remember correctly. If you haven’t built a layout there’s a learning curve, but we can help, and I might have one already made that I did to help another user.

The FM9 by itself is very flexible and its built-in OFM9G layout works well, and is easily adjusted to a user’s needs. Adding the FC6 to it gives plenty of buttons, and at that point I’d just stick the FC6 to the side rather than put it all into one board. You could still put the other components underneath the main board and if you wanted to travel “light” temporarily switch back to the built-in OFM9G layout.
I'd likely build something myself so that I could have it just the way I want. I just want to slim down and it looks like this configuration would allow me to have just one pedalboard similar in size to my current board that includes a Mission Engineering EP-1 and 2 Fractal EV-1s. I really need to just start with the FM9 and see how I can make it work for me and then decide if I need an FC6 or FC12 (or if I can get by with just the FM9).

I'd likely build something myself so that I could have it just the way I want. I just want to slim down and it looks like this configuration would allow me to have just one pedalboard similar in size to my current board that includes a Mission Engineering EP-1 and 2 Fractal EV-1s. I really need to just start with the FM9 and see how I can make it work for me and then decide if I need an FC6 or FC12 (or if I can get by with just the FM9).
Check out the NUX BumbleBee boards for ideas. You could probably build something really light using extruded aluminum if you can fashion the appropriate end supports.

I have the three different modelers and both FC. The FM9 is my normal grab-and-go system and is mounted on a Temple Audio Duo 24. I made my own cables with short Switchcraft XLR and flat (pancake) right-angle plugs to avoid any sort of cable ends sticking out very far, and connected those to the end modules attached to either end. My guitar and controller pedals go into the 4-in/out module on the left, and the left and right XLR feeds to my FRFR and AC power are on the left. Early on I had a drunk singer step on one of the XLR out on my FM3 and break the pins in the cable thereby ruining a perfectly good evening, so I tried to make the board and rig fairly drunk-singer proof.

I think starting with the FM9 is a great idea, unfortunately, they're not shipping right now because of the problems getting the necessary chips, leaving the FM3 the near-term choice. It's not as powerful as the FX3, about 1/4 the power according to comments Cliff made, but it's surprisingly competent. I'm surprised again and again by what it'll do. I use a lot of the same presets on the FX3 as the FM3, but that's because I built them on the FM3 and then pushed them to the bigger sibling. It's not hard going back down from the FX3 to the FM3 once you get used to the process and know what'll fit. And, the FM3+FC6 without a pedal board can fit into a nice and small bag for travel; I worked with Studio Slips to design an FM3+FC6 bag for travel that is wonderful. You can find some posts about them if you search for my posts containing "studio slips". You can always look for a used FM9, but they're commanding premium prices. Their FM9 bag is also great, and if you've never had one of their bags they last and last.

PS - I checked and don't have an FM9+FC12 layout, what I have is an FM3+FC12, AKA my version of an OMG15.

I’m not in a huge hurry to do this as my III and rjm GT22 work great, so I can wait on the FM9 availability. I’ve been contemplating the expression pedals on one board and the FM9 and FC12 on another, for ease of transportation.
Thanks for the advice and sharing your thoughts!

Why not just get 2 FC 12's for the Axe III? It would probably be a lot easier to work with and twice the power!

Why not just get 2 FC 12's for the Axe III? It would probably be a lot easier to work with and twice the power!
Because I’m contemplating an “all in one” board. My III and rjm GT22 work perfectly fine together, no need to change that. But I’m using 2 small shock mount racks for the III, IEM system & backup, wireless system, Furman, and an interface made by Bob Bradshaw. I could reduce it all to one board. A HEAVY board, but much less to lug around.

Because I’m contemplating an “all in one” board. My III and rjm GT22 work perfectly fine together, no need to change that. But I’m using 2 small shock mount racks for the III, IEM system & backup, wireless system, Furman, and an interface made by Bob Bradshaw. I could reduce it all to one board. A HEAVY board, but much less to lug around.
Ah! Well in that case I would have a case made that had wheels and opened up like a book! Stacking the two would be rather cumbersome to step on the top teer buttons without falling over.

Or you could go with the Axe FX III floorboard conversion from Jbag ! You would loos a few buttons unless you used an FC12 with it.

I haven’t looked into it too closely, but I’m pretty sure these guys will make you a pedalboard with whatever sized shelf you want.

https://www.nycpedalboards.com/

You may want to try this. It is expensive but it just may work for you. I haven't seen any other pedalboard that could handle the size of both the FM9 and the FC12 together. It is made by Pivotal Pedalboards.
pivotalpedalboardsdotcom/product-page/x26-fractal-fm9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom