FM9 and BeatBuddy - NOT looping

Hugomack

Experienced
I was previously an Axe FX2/MFC user, now expecting delivery of FM9, planning to integrate BeatBuddy for gigs, NOT looping, but wondering how best to control the two units.
Anybody who's doing this, I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on whether to make the BB the 'master' controller - as it transmits midi clock and FM9 doesn't (or so I understand). BB has song files that could trigger Preset changes, and triggerable sections that could trigger Scene changes - or (I suppose) also Channel changes.
I do prefer controlling stuff using the FM9 as I'm a guitarist, but there's the danger of also triggering unwanted drum changes. But I think the BB could change songs - and the preset on the FM9, but use the BB controller for rolls. I'd also like to have the FM9 Scene changes to change the BB song sections.
From experience, I know this can get complicated so would greatly appreciate the thoughts of other FM9/BB giggers.
Thanks!

Last edited:
The FM9 and Boss RC-500 will work together to some extent via midi control commands. I control some of the functions on the RC-500 via midi CC# coming from the FM9 using some of its footswitches. The RC-500 outputs midi tempo clock to the FM9 midi input. However, since the FM9 does not receive midi clock start/stop commands it will not be in sync measure wise when the rhythm starts from the RC-500. The tempo will be the same but not the beat sync if you know what I mean. Maybe there is a way around this but have not found it yet. Others may have a better answer.

Back
Top Bottom