Fm3 with New ToneX One (Dual amps)

I'm thinking about dual amps with stereo mimiq but will definitely wait a year or so until the hype dies down.

Phasing issues will kill this idea
It will sound like ass if they are in parallel
Just try to put two drives in parallel with amp block and you'll here same effect
And with gapeless switching there is no reason anymore to use it for quick switch to another amp
Phasing/latency can be delt with, and the obvious advantages of another amp is for cross-fading between the two as well as mixing.

That said, you can already cross-fade between amp block settings within a single amp block channel via Scene Controllers.

Can't beat the size of the Tonex One, though if looking to lower CPU there are better choices than a amp sim, like a multi-fx or reverb/delay seeing the amp block runs on a dedicated core (along with some delays).

Phasing/latency can be delt with,
How do you do that?
I tried to align amp block with two drive block in parallel, which should have about the same delay, and it didn't work

With a double conversation -fractal in/out-tonex-fractal in/out I'm not sure how do you align

How do you do that?
I tried to align amp block with two drive block in parallel, which should have about the same delay, and it didn't work

With a double conversation -fractal in/out-tonex-fractal in/out I'm not sure how do you align
I use the Flanger for a micro delay to delay the main path to the FX Loop and it's contents, or a slower parallel path (0% Modulation and 100% FX Mix).

Use a DAW to find the offset (record a transient through both paths on different tracks, zoom in etc).

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be better to go with something that could provide amp+effects though?

Sorry - I didn't really type out exactly what I meant. I mean 1 tonex pedal in the loop of my FM3 with L/R outputs running through the mimiq to provide a little "sauce". Yeah amp+effects is better for sure!

Why bother? It would be like diluting your beer with water.

It’s a toy, fun for a minute but would eventually collect dust in a drawer until sold on Reverb.

Wait and buy it used in a few months, there be plenty to choose from.

I completely disagree. I've been using the larger Tonex pedal along with my FM3 and FM9 for the last year. The sound quality is absolutely fantastic. Because it uses captures, you have the same limitations as a Kemper or Quad Cortex where as you turn the knobs it deviates from sounding "authentic" to the captured amp or pedal (although sometimes "inauthentic" changes actually sound cool and are things you can't do on the captured device in the real world). However, you don't have one big limitation that modeling units like Fractal have. With Fractal, if it's not included in the firmware, you don't have it. I have tons of drive pedals that Fractal hasn't modeled and I've done my own captures on them with the Tonex. They sound indistinguishable side by side so now I can carry a hundred of my favorite drive pedals to every gig along with my Fractal device and get the best of both worlds.

I completely disagree. I've been using the larger Tonex pedal along with my FM3 and FM9 for the last year. The sound quality is absolutely fantastic. Because it uses captures, you have the same limitations as a Kemper or Quad Cortex where as you turn the knobs it deviates from sounding "authentic" to the captured amp or pedal (although sometimes "inauthentic" changes actually sound cool and are things you can't do on the captured device in the real world). However, you don't have one big limitation that modeling units like Fractal have. With Fractal, if it's not included in the firmware, you don't have it. I have tons of drive pedals that Fractal hasn't modeled and I've done my own captures on them with the Tonex. They sound indistinguishable side by side so now I can carry a hundred of my favorite drive pedals to every gig along with my Fractal device and get the best of both worlds.
Thank you, but for you predal copies in Tonex you also have just one setting captured or? Is it possible to flexible change the setting in tonex based on differend single captures of the pedal settings?
I have a Lab Series L5 preamp and can not imagine to be able to capture it and sell it, because if I just want to change a bit of bass or treble it will sound different than the real thing, or?

Thank you, but for you predal copies in Tonex you also have just one setting captured or? Is it possible to flexible change the setting in tonex based on differend single captures of the pedal settings?
I have a Lab Series L5 preamp and can not imagine to be able to capture it and sell it, because if I just want to change a bit of bass or treble it will sound different than the real thing, or?

How accurate the capture remains after you change settings on the Tonex depends on what it is you're trying to capture. For some of my overdrive pedals, the gain knob on the Tonex is very, very accurate to the behavior of the gain knob on the pedal. For some fuzz pedals where the low gain and high gain settings sound completely different, the gain knob on the Tonex isn't as accurate when you change it.

For the EQ on the Tonex, you can customize on each preset the exact frequency and Q of the bass, mid, treble, and presence knobs. If you know the values of those knobs on your L5 preamp, then you should be able to recreate that on the Tonex.

Overall, it's usually only when the knobs are changed very far away from the middle on the Tonex that it ceases to be accurate, but as I said before, that's not always a bad thing. In some cases, I actually like the way the "inauthentic" behavior on the Tonex sounds better than the actual tone knob on some of my pedals. I usually end up doing several captures for every pedal or amp with various gain or tone combinations so I can get good starting points for a variety of sounds.

YMMV 😀

Can't beat the size of the Tonex One, though if looking to lower CPU there are better choices than a amp sim, like a multi-fx or reverb/delay seeing the amp block runs on a dedicated core (along with some delays).
This won't do anything to help CPU, because the AMP block doesn't use CPU.

(Or rather, it has a full CPU to itself, and the CPU reading you care about managing is the one for the CPU running the UI and the rest of the grid and blocks.)

This won't do anything to help CPU, because the AMP block doesn't use CPU.

(Or rather, it has a full CPU to itself, and the CPU reading you care about managing is the one for the CPU running the UI and the rest of the grid and blocks.)
Which is exactly what I said, though the amp block and some delays share a core on the FM3?

Back
Top Bottom