FM3 with AX8 style switching

murdocman12

Hi, I am new to FM3. I came from AX8 and got use to its switching style. Is there a way to have that kind of switching wherein the Switch 1 on FM3 is the up for selecting presets on the list and Switch 2 is the preset select down and the Switch 3 is the engage preset? While on the fc6 i can use that to control my 6 scenes on that selected preset.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Best regards,
DM

Yes. Set Bank Size to 1 in Setup > FC (it’s on one of the later pages), and on the Bank Up and Down switches, set Preset Load to None (which I believe is the default).

Not at the gear right now but that should work.

Hi Chris, thanks to this. I will try this when i get back home. I am also planning to get fc6 or mc8 for a more budget friendly external switch. What do you think?

I'm not Chris, but I can highly recommend the MC6 or MC8
I have an MC6 myself, and it does everything I need it to (and I am not even use all the features, like FM3 integration).

I have it setup in an "OMG-9" like setup.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-omc9-setup.172031/

I like the smaller footprint compared to the FC6 and the flexibility that I could use it in any MIDI-setup, not just for use with FM3

(to be clear: I have no experience with the FC6, so can't speak to that)

Yes, that is why i’m considering the MC8 because of this size. I have an existing pedal board with my ax8 and i just want to swap it with my new FM3 and leave the rest of the pedals on the board and using fc6 will take so much space and i will have to remove the other pedal on the board. Is the morningstar switch easy to use? By the way, here is my board layout plan:

C62C5BBE-253D-4D68-93B6-AAB3E9711A32.jpeg

I've got a MC6 that I use with a drum machine pedal and it's awesome.
Morningstar makes some seriously powerful pedals in small packages.
Really easy to program, crazy flexible.

If you are familiar with Midi in general, then the MC8 is not difficult to set up. The editor is very user friendly.

BTW, you could think about replacing the tuner on the board with another pedal (or leave it off to save weight). I find the one in the FM3 works great (I switch it on and off with a small dual external footswitch...the other button is tap tempo). you could easily fit that (horizontally) between the MC8 and FreqOut if you'd want.

If you are familiar with Midi in general, then the MC8 is not difficult to set up. The editor is very user friendly.

BTW, you could think about replacing the tuner on the board with another pedal (or leave it off to save weight). I find the one in the FM3 works great (I switch it on and off with a small dual external footswitch...the other button is tap tempo). you could easily fit that (horizontally) between the MC8 and FreqOut if you'd want.
Or set the tuner to engage automatically with one of your expression pedals heel down.

I've been using this setup for a couple years now...gig every week, no problems...5 minute setup/tear down with CLR.
20211205_090230.jpg

Hi, i have follow up question on this:

1. Is there a way that the ”home” screen display of FM3 will be like the ”home” display on ax8 where you can see and select the preset on screen using switch 1 as up and switch 2 as down (preset bank) and switch 3 will be “select/engage”?

BFD73055-B2AB-4A9F-AEE2-3FCAB6DB7A76.jpeg

2. After the preset will be selected using switch 3 the screen view will turn into scene view.
3. Long press / hold the switch 3 and it will go back to preset view ready for selecting another preset.
4. This is for the reason that if we have to play 10 songs with 10 diffrent presets, i can just select the preset by the foot switch and not have to bend over and use “page” and enter function.

Is it doable in fm3? Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, i have follow up question on this:

1. Is there a way that the ”home” screen display of FM3 will be like the ”home” display on ax8 where you can see and select the preset on screen using switch 1 as up and switch 2 as down (preset bank) and switch 3 will be “select/engage”?

View attachment 110587

2. After the preset will be selected using switch 3 the screen view will turn into scene view.
3. Long press / hold the switch 3 and it will go back to preset view ready for selecting another preset.

Is it doable in fm3? Thanks
You can use the "Page" scroll buttons on the front panel of the FM3 to access a Preset tab that allows you to easily view and change presets via the unit. Once you select the preset, the Scene view is the default tab. You can also set up your layouts so that you can access presets via the footswitches themselves rather than the buttons on the face of the unit. There are endless ways you can customize those switches with the tap and hold functions to access and scroll through presets. They are completely customizable.

Man this is what im looking for, wherein i can just scroll through presets using foot switch but i cant seem to figure out how to do it. Hope someone can make a video of it.
You can use the "Page" scroll buttons on the front panel of the FM3 to access a Preset tab that allows you to easily view and change presets via the unit. Once you select the preset, the Scene view is the default tab. You can also set up your layouts so that you can access presets via the footswitches themselves rather than the buttons on the face of the unit. There are endless ways you can customize those switches with the tap and hold functions to access and scroll through presets. They are completely customizable.

Man this is what im looking for, wherein i can just scroll through presets using foot switch but i cant seem to figure out how to do it. Hope someone can make a video of it.
Do some YouTube searching for Fractal Layouts - there are several videos that people like Cooper Carter and Leon Todd have done that break down how to set up Layouts and program the footswitches on the FM3 and FC units. Because of the customizable nature of the unit, you are going to have to do some trial and error along with reading the manual and watching videos to figure out exactly what is going to work for you.

Back
Top Bottom