FM3 Whammy and Wah Auto Engage with one pedal

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
Hello Everyone!

As a side note, I just saw the 5.x beta! Holy Cow! I'm about to load that up as well!

I have the FM3 Whammy set to auto-engage, I wanted to add the Wah with auto-engage as well but I only have one pedal. I also have an Ampero two pedal switch that I thought maybe there'd be a way to switch between both settings? I don't believe Scenes would work but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use the Pitch and Wah blocks in parallel and feed them into the Multiplexer block. Setup both the Wah and Pitch blocks for autoengage just like you would for using each by itself. They will both engage and disengage at the same time when you move the pedal. The M-Plex block will then let you pick which one you can actually hear.

Edit. @Eduardo Ferraiuolo beat me to it. Just like in the video ↑.

Just implemented this technique with Whammy, Volume and Wah and it works great so far! One issue with this setup is that I think the Volume pedal in a distorted preset sounds much better after the amp/cab.... is it possible to set it up in this scenerio?

1641692491311.png

Also, not sure if this is a 5.x beta issue or not, but I set Pitch to Virtual Capo but I the only way to set it to enabled is via the same external pedal which would be cool but it sucks because it also enables the Delay block that I have set up. What do you folks think? Maybe I can setup The Delay to Channel B to disengage Delay somehow?

Well... I just tried to remove the modifier in Channel B which already shows to None but it still is enabling Delay 2 even though it's on Channel B. Thoughts?

1641692967751.png

Modifier assignments are block wide, so you can't have different modifier settings per channel. You can make a modifier active for either one channel or all of them. When set to a specific channel, it's ignored in all the other channels of that block.

Thank you for the responses... I'm not familiar with modifiers and I don't recall having them active. What I was able to figure out was that on Delay 2 Channel B which I have set to be enabled on Channel 1 of Delay 2 when the whammy/volume/wah kick on as well, if I set the the same controller to PEDAL 2 (EXP/SW TIP) but change Auto Engage to Off, it actually works like I'm trying to have it work. What is strange is that I get a ghost looper track start playing very faintly in the preset about 5-7 seconds later. I do have the looper in the patch but it is set to bypass and when I go into the looper it doesn't show a waveform of anything having been recorded. When I move the expression pedal a bit, the audio warbles a bit. Very weird. I'm uploading a video to FB Messenger and then I'm hoping I can link it here.

P.S. I've read some of the chatter on the VIrtual Capo, and I think it sounds decently good but definitely loses some definition when enabled.

Uploaded video to Youtube

Last edited:
Edit: Changing Delay 2 Channel 2 Autoengage to off also turned off Autoengage on my other scenes, so that didn't work. :(

If your modifier is set to the whole block instead of a single channel then it will apply to all channels. But you should be able to change the autoengage to affect a single channel, then use scenes to change the channel to control what your pedal affects.

If your modifier is set to the whole block instead of a single channel then it will apply to all channels. But you should be able to change the autoengage to affect a single channel, then use scenes to change the channel to control what your pedal affects.
Thank you for chiming in... on Delay 2 Channel A, I select the modifier for Bypass and it's set to Pedal 2 Fast Auto Engage and Fast Update Rate. When I move over to Channel B and check the modifier for Bypass it's set exactly the same. Whenever I change any setting in any of the Channels they carry over to each other. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what it is.

1641712270013.png

Thank you for chiming in... on Delay 2 Channel A, I select the modifier for Bypass and it's set to Pedal 2 Fast Auto Engage and Fast Update Rate. When I move over to Channel B and check the modifier for Bypass it's set exactly the same. Whenever I change any setting in any of the Channels they carry over to each other. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what it is.

View attachment 94001
You're setting an autoengage modifier on Bypass?

That makes no sense as Bypass will engage or bypass already... That's it whole purpose.

Use Bypass OR autoengage on another parameter, not both.

You're setting an autoengage modifier on Bypass?

That makes no sense as Bypass will engage or bypass already... That's it whole purpose.

Use Bypass OR autoengage on another parameter, not both.
Thanks for the response...

My goal is to enable a Pitch-Whammy/Volume/Way selected via the awesome idea that was presented here with the Multiplexor along with enabling Delay 2. I set the modifier to the bypass switch on Delay 2 to kick it on when I kick on the other three, how else would you recommend?

Thanks for the response...

My goal is to enable a Pitch-Whammy/Volume/Way selected via the awesome idea that was presented here with the Multiplexor along with enabling Delay 2. I set the modifier to the bypass switch on Delay 2 to kick it on when I kick on the other three, how else would you recommend?
Setting the modifier on Bypass will engage or bypass the effect. There's no need to also set autoengage. You specify the Min/Max settings of Engaged and Bypassed.

Autoengage is for engaging or bypassing the effect with a modifier on another parameter instead of Bypass.

As a typical example, with the Wah block you assign a pedal as a modifier to the Control parameter (not Bypass with autoengage). When you move the pedal it adjusts the Control parameter and it also enables the Wah while it's being controlled.

In the case of Delay there's no parameter you need to control other than Bypass. Just assign the modifier without autoengage.

Setting the modifier on Bypass will engage or bypass the effect. There's no need to also set autoengage. You specify the Min/Max settings of Engaged and Bypassed.

Autoengage is for engaging or bypassing the effect with a modifier on another parameter instead of Bypass.

As a typical example, with the Wah block you assign a pedal as a modifier to the Control parameter (not Bypass with autoengage). When you move the pedal it adjusts the Control parameter and it also enables the Wah while it's being controlled.

In the case of Delay there's no parameter you need to control other than Bypass. Just assign the modifier without autoengage.
Thank you for that information... makes sense now. My problem is that on Delay 2 Channel B with no modifier on bypass, it is still being enabled because I have it set on Channel A to enable bypass. I just tested it, I removed Bypass modifier on Delay 2 Channel B and it also removes it from Delay 2 Channel A. Seems like I can't enable Channel A and Disable Channel B.

Set the modifier's "channel" parameter (next to min & max in your last screenshot) to "A" instead of "All".

There's only one group of modifier settings for a given parameter (bypass in this case). When you removed it "on channel B" you were removing the modifier completely.

I do it with the multiplexer as described here, but I set my whammy so the "back" position has no effect, and use auto-engage for the wah like normal. So the switch doesn't engage/disengage either, it just selects which of the whammy or wah output is used, and both have bypass = thru.

I use a separate volume pedal.

Set the modifier's "channel" parameter (next to min & max in your last screenshot) to "A" instead of "All".

There's only one group of modifier settings for a given parameter (bypass in this case). When you removed it "on channel B" you were removing the modifier completely.
Oh my goodness! As they say... 'if it was a snake, it would have bitten me!' I completely missed that. Thanks again for that!

Ok, I just tried to change the settings in FM3-Edit but they are not changing from Channel to Channel... I tried to set the Bypass Modifier on Channel A and Channel B as I have in the picutres below.

1641785605032.png

When I change it to Chan B and set it Auto Engage to Off it changes Channel A to the same settings... I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

1641785646301.png

Here's Channel A again after the change... thanks for all your help.

1641785703611.png

Back
Top Bottom