FM3 vs AX8

dsouza

Experienced
Any advantages of an AX8 over a new FM3? I noticed the FM3 is priced at only $1000 NEW. A USED AX8 goes for that so the AX8 must be better right?

Last edited:
Depends on your use case.
The AX8 has more Switches, the FM3 is more up to date (sound wise, interface, etc.).
From a technological standpoint, the FM3 is superior.

Why is the AX8 so expensive then? ( I'm assuming the FM3 can do 8 scenes.. I know it only has 3 switches on the bottom.. If it can only do 3 scenes that's pathetic)... I'm also assuming it has just as much processing CPU power as the AX8. If not , I'd be happier with my investment in the AX8.. that is until the FM9 comes down in price. That's my next logical buy, but for now and future I'm loving the AX8.

It’s that expensive because it is good gear - the other guitarist in our band got my old AX8, and it works without flaws since nearly 5 years. It’s powerful, the effects are really good, and though the amp simulation has done big steps, it’s still competitive.
So, basically the high price is a statement that it is still a solid piece of equipment, and also that Fractal gear has a high reselling value :)

I'm more than happy with my AX8 since I'm here in Canada. 99% of music stores here don't carry Fractal , they carry pedals , or Line 6 or Helix products.. And the Fractal AX8 is ahead of all those.. So I know I'll be kicking ass and taking names with my AX8 here in Toronto for a long time. And by the time these dudes get their hands on an AX8 I'll be on the FM9 with many more years of experience! :)

Any advantages of an AX8 over a new FM3? I noticed the FM3 is priced at only $1000 NEW. A USED AX8 goes for that so the AX8 must be better right?
I've seen AX8's sell cheaper than that. You can find less than $1000 (assuming you are talking about USD)..

Another concern is that AX8 isn't supported anmore. Yes, it's great piece of gear but it's getting old and tired and if something happend you have no warranty and support for this device anymore so you'll be crying on $1000 (in USA or in my country still around $1500) useless piece of gear. It's a big concern to me. At the same time we have a lot of reapair shops and store warranties for Line6 products. I'm sure you know what I mean. And yes .... ut's funny but FM3 costs similar to AX8 here ... around $1500 and up.

I still own an AX8…..kind of minimally used. Not because I don’t like it…..it is great walking into a small room for a gig with my entire rig over my shoulder haha.….no plans on getting rid of it. Great piece of gear. and I just got the AxeFX iii. Life is good! Merry Xmas (or whatever you celebrate). Peace.

Last edited:
Wait are you guys saying if my AX8 broke down Fractal won't even fix it for a charge?
I believe they could fix it but ... like motherboard - 300$, shipping - $50, work - 150$, something else... and you'll have amount close to get new one. I'm not sure but it seems to me it'll be this way. But new one would be on warranty and much more chances it'll be working flawlessly next 5-6 years...then who knows... For example Helix, so line6 can exchange faulty units and all local dealers and stores can fix it and replace ALL AROUND THE GLOBE. I like this approach much more then Fractal's one when all help is available only in USA and not in the world no dealers, nothing.. If something happened we all helpless to do anything.

Last edited:
When I sold my AX8 last year I bought the FM3 brand new and still got 50 bucks left. Having said that, for all I can do on the FM3 I don't miss the AX8 at all. I can access to all 8 scenes using only the onboard switches which BTW can be assigned to do so much more than the AX8 X/Y. Soundwise is a giant leap too.

Don't let the 3 vs 11 switches thing fool you. If still bothers you, I thoroughly recommend to wait and save a little more cash towards the FM9. I'm actually selling my FM3 to get the FM9 just because I can't justify having both when I've already an Axe-FX III too... But the FM3 IMHO is superior to the AX8 in every aspect but the "convenience" of the number of onboard switches, which again, you can overcome pretty easily if you take your time to understand the unit.

Last edited:
I believe they could fix it but ... like motherboard - 300$, shipping - $50, work - 150$, something else... and you'll have amount close to get new one. I'm not sure but it seems to me it'll be this way. But new one would be on warranty and much more chances it'll be working flawlessly next 5-6 years...then who knows... For example Helix, so line6 can exchange faulty units and all local dealers and stores can fix it and replace ALL AROUND THE GLOBE. I like this approach much more then Fractal's one when all help is available only in USA and not in the world no dealers, nothing.. If something happened we all helpless to do anything.

Not my experience at all...

When people say Fractal doesn't support the AX8 anymore they are talking about Firmware updates. I believe Quantum 10.01 or so was the very last update for it. They will continue to offer repairs as long as the needed hardware and replacement parts are available. Of course, being out of warranty means all the expenses are on your own.

I had a problem with my Axe's screen last year and my dealer got in touch with FAS and got a replacement very quickly, and absolutely free as I was under warranty. I'm in Mexico, BTW.

Not my experience at all...

When people say Fractal doesn't support the AX8 anymore they are talking about Firmware updates. I believe Quantum 10.01 or so was the very last update for it. They will continue to offer repairs as long as the needed hardware and replacement parts are available. Of course, being out of warranty means all the expenses are on your own.

I had a problem with my Axe's screen last year and my dealer got in touch with FAS and got a replacement very quickly, and absolutely free as I was under warranty. I'm in Mexico, BTW.
You're posts clears up a lot of things. #1 I'm keeping my AX8 because it can still be fixed by FAS for a cost if it warranted. Secondly, since the FM3 is superior to the AX8 and the FM9 is superior to the FM3 I'm saving up for an FM9 when prices drop much lower 10 years from now. In the meantime I just got an AX8 and it does everything I need it to , so isn't that good enough? When is enough , enough? I'm not here to collect equipment and the dust that goes with it -- I'm here to make music.

Is this really is a fair comparison?.. the FM3 has three switches.. three. If we want to honestly compare then it should be FM3+FC6 vs AX8 no?..if the comparison is from a price perspective, then AX8 is significantly more usable, though the FM3 technically sounds better.

Personally I really don't see (though I know people do) how you can manage with three switches.. For me, the Ax8 is near perfect from a switch perspective with fx, scenes and presets plus the looper switching being really well thought out - and sound wise it is certainly more than good enough..

fwiw not hating on the FM3 technology .. its simply that I bought the AX8 while on the axe/fxiii wait list, and I have been so impressed with it that the fxiii has largely been sitting around unused .. so much so that I am considering selling it and just getting the FM9 at some point.

That's what I'm doing using the AX8 and getting the FM9 many many years down the line when I really need it.. IF I need it... And then using my AX8 as backup.. But the way I look at it the AX8 can easily last 20 years. It's built durable. And sounds great.

Wait are you guys saying if my AX8 broke down Fractal won't even fix it for a charge?
Be careful who you believe. FAS has long been known for taking care of their customers, even on second-hand and out of warranty devices.
Seems like mr. wizard is a fan of another company.

Be careful who you believe. FAS has long been known for taking care of their customers, even on second-hand and out of warranty devices.
Seems like mr. wizard is a fan of another company.
Yeah he's a HELIX guy... HELIX VS FRACTAL WARS B.S. We don't need that here.. This is a FRACTAL forum. The best support, you actually find here on the forum. I can't imagine how stuck I'd be if I didn't have a user group forum for my AX8.

Another concern is that AX8 isn't supported anmore. Yes, it's great piece of gear but it's getting old and tired and if something happend you have no warranty and support for this device anymore so you'll be crying on $1000 (in USA or in my country still around $1500) useless piece of gear. It's a big concern to me. At the same time we have a lot of reapair shops and store warranties for Line6 products. I'm sure you know what I mean. And yes .... ut's funny but FM3 costs similar to AX8 here ... around $1500 and up.
You may want to get some facts straight before commenting. The AX8 is far from old and tired, there are many players still using them as well as the "old" Axe Fx Standard and Ultra. There have been no reported issues with the AX8 hardware breaking down or units becoming unusable. Anyone who has experienced any issues have been taken care of either on this forum or by support. It's easy enough to search if you want the truth.

I've had personal experience with issues with products from Fractal and Line 6, FAS is by far the better of the two when it comes to customer service. I had to fight to get Line 6 to repair a wireless pack, took several weeks of phone calls and emails to get any resolution. Any issue I've had with FAS devices have been taken care of or solutions found within a couple of days.

I completely understand being a fan of another company or piece of gear but making comments without knowing whether what you're saying is true or not just doesn't land well. Stick around long enough and you'll start seeing that those who comment on FAS service have actual experience, they don't presume to know.

AX8 is not quite retired, you can send in it for repair, yes. But from a firmware perspective it is in fact retired although nobody really admits. If you have a problem with the known bugs better not wait for a firmware updates to fix them. If not the box will serve you well for many more years.

Back
Top Bottom