FM3 Turbo?

Moving the FM3 to the same chipset as the FM9 only makes things easier if they drop support for the old FM3’s. Otherwise it’s the same development effort (or more since there are other platform differences between FM3 and FM9).

-Aaron

From a firmware maintenance point of view it means essentially a single firmware image can be used for both the FM3 and FM9.
No, it doesn't mean that. The FM9 would still have two DSP boards, not one. Ares needs to know where things go.

The FM9 and FM9 Turbo will use the same firmware though.

Moving the FM3 to the same chipset as the FM9 only makes things easier if they drop support for the old FM3’s.
That's not how Fractal does things.

IF Fractal had an FM9 DSP in the FM3, they'd still use the same firmware for the FM3 units, and they wouldn't drop support for the original FM3.
  • The FX3 started with the Mk I, moved to the Mk II and then there's the Turbo also available. They all run the same firmware and the first two are still supported.
  • The FM9 Turbo uses a faster chipset than the original FM9. Fractal has already said they use the same firmware. The original model remains supported even though they can't currently get the original DSP chipset.

Hiya Greg

Hmm - let's analyze this ...

1660780700660.png

Dont hold your breath means that something is unlikely to happen ...

Therefore, Hold your breath means that something is likely to happen??

;)

That would cover everything between FM3 and FM9 ...
Exactly. That's basically where you're headed. It's just impractical.

That's the whole purpose of stand-in switches. The architecture gives you the flexibility to adapt the unit to your needs. At some point you just need to make the jump to the FM9.

Exactly. That's basically where you're headed. It's just impractical.

That's the whole purpose of stand-in switches. The architecture gives you the flexibility to adapt the unit to your needs. At some point you just need to make the jump to the FM9.

I do jest (in part :cool: )

I don't care about FM4, 6, 7, 8, but I do like the idea of an FM5 Turbo (and I think a bunch of people would pay half way between an FM3 and an FM9 to get one).

Alternatively if we could get an FC2 or FC3 - eg smaller Fractal footswitches, inclusive of scribble strips and colour LED status rings, that would be great too.

Anyway - just wish list stuff, designed to provoke discussion ...

I do jest (in part :cool: )

I don't care about FM4, 6, 7, 8, but I do like the idea of an FM5 Turbo (and I think a bunch of people would pay half way between an FM3 and an FM9 to get one).

Alternatively if we could get an FC2 or FC3 - eg smaller Fractal footswitches, inclusive of scribble strips and colour LED status rings, that would be great too.

Anyway - just wish list stuff, designed to provoke discussion ...
I think you'd be better off pushing for maybe an FC3 configured like the stand-in box pictured by @iaresee above. That would be pretty cool.

We’ll see FM3 Turbo before we see FM5. The hardware (case) already exists and it would only require a memory upgrade. With the aforementioned stand-in switches, you would have an “FM5”. The redundancy in product sizes (FM3 = FC6, FM9 = FC12) make the current production units practical. I don’t see them producing both another foot switch unit and another FM product.

It looks to me that Fractal went with the faster chips in the FM9 Turbo for parts availability concerns, and not that the market was clamoring for more performance. In fact the demand was already there for the FM9 as it was, perhaps parts availability was the only thing broke about it that needed fixing. The increased performance was a side benefit maybe?

(Speculation mode on) If FM3's are selling like hotcakes, and the FM9s are moving now, and anyone that wanted more performance from the FM3 would go to a FM9, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to upgrade the FM3 to Turbo unless there is a similar parts availability issue with the FM3. Any redesign would likely be to reduce costs (i.e. increase profit and allow greater discounts) if not for parts availability. (Speculation mode off)

Given that an FM3 turbo hasn’t officially been announced (afaik) , and the FM9 isn’t for sale on their website as of right now, I’d say anything new is a long way off.

I get the need for small and more powerful. But if I was Fractal, I would aim to keep my menu small and position each model to serve 3 different markets… which they have.

The FM3 is already pretty capable. There are just oh so many ways to add more switches. If the cpu limit is being hit, there’s still oh so many ways to bring it down with a bit of creativity and forethought.

Honestly, it was a blessing for me to start with the HX Stomp because it’s limitations forced me to rethink how I play live and how to plan each tune and not the whole gig on one patch.

Sean Meredith-Jones

It looks to me that Fractal went with the faster chips in the FM9 Turbo for parts availability concerns, and not that the market was clamoring for more performance. In fact the demand was already there for the FM9 as it was, perhaps parts availability was the only thing broke about it that needed fixing. The increased performance was a side benefit maybe?

(Speculation mode on) If FM3's are selling like hotcakes, and the FM9s are moving now, and anyone that wanted more performance from the FM3 would go to a FM9, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to upgrade the FM3 to Turbo unless there is a similar parts availability issue with the FM3. Any redesign would likely be to reduce costs (i.e. increase profit and allow greater discounts) if not for parts availability. (Speculation mode off)
"Form Factor" is the reason for a FM3 Turbo!

Many don't want the added size of the FM9, don't need the extra switching, but need more CPU (and not just for Reverb, for anything etc).

I've been SO spoiled with the FM9 Turbo the past few days that it's hard to go back to my FM3 now.. Some of my new presets on the FM9 sound just so lush, full, and glorious and even though I was 100% content with the FM3 I didn't know what I was missing. And, trying to find work arounds to transfer presets to the FM3 are an exercise I'd rather not pursue. BUT, the portability factor of the FM3 just cannot be beat and honestly I'd almost rather have an Axe III to "lug" around since I don't do a ton of "stomping" at the moment and generally use the desktop editor to make adjustments/change presets/scenes when playing.
My point- an FM3 Turbo would be a dream come true right now (until the next minor inconvenience triggers GAS)! Anyone want to trade their Axe III Turbo for my FM9 Turbo??! o_O

Back
Top Bottom