FM3 Turbo?

Doogz

Inspired
Hi all

Just asking, after the exciting FM9 Turbo announcement?

Please, pretty please?

;)

Cheers

Doogz

The Turbo was a workaround to get production working again by moving to chips that were more available. In other words, it was a necessity.

IF Fractal was able to get an accelerated chip in the same size die and it didn’t cause any problems with heat or require any other changes then they would probably consider it, but if it forced the price to be raised then they might have second thoughts. The FM3 has several appealing aspects: flexibility, size, and price, and they’re worth being maintained.

I’d love to see an FM3 Pt. Deux with the processing speed of the FM9. It’d be a little monster connected to an FC6, but the current FM3 is no slouch.

If all is workable as above, they should just sell the mother boards for a user upgrade, and maybe an upgraded fan if need be, cheap and easy (just like a PC).

The Turbo was a workaround to get production working again by moving to chips that were more available. In other words, it was a necessity.

IF Fractal was able to get an accelerated chip in the same size die and it didn’t cause any problems with heat or require any other changes then they would probably consider it, but if it forced the price to be raised then they might have second thoughts. The FM3 has several appealing aspects: flexibility, size, and price, and they’re worth being maintained.

I’d love to see an FM3 Pt. Deux with the processing speed of the FM9. It’d be a little monster connected to an FC6, but the current FM3 is no slouch.

Hi Greg

I totally get it, and I expect there are different DSP chips in the FM3 compared to FM9.

It is just that if Fractal was making a larger change in downstream providers, maybe some of that new good stuff could make its way into the little fella!

Yeah, bring on an FM3 MK II with moar firepowa (and bigger scribble strips)!

Um, not that we can get either FM3 or FM9 here in Australia though .... :oops:

If all is workable as above, they should just sell the mother boards for a user upgrade, and maybe an upgraded fan if need be, cheap and easy (just like a PC).

I very much doubt that Fractal will sell / provide motherboards, and I wouldn't be after that ... I'd just like to get my hands on a unit (any unit), and if it comes with a little something extra that it didn't have yesterday, then I'm happy ...

So, let me translate based on my experiences here- Yes there is something in the works for a refresh for both the Axe III/soon IV and FM3 which likely starts with UI refresh and physical changes to accommodate better cooling capacities. Usually these new releases or refreshes are timed as to not diminish/stagnate sales potential of current inventory. So an FM4 would be my guess that includes a bump in specs and an extra foot switch plus it aligns nicely with naming schemes - Axe IV etc.

So, let me translate based on my experiences here- Yes there is something in the works for a refresh for both the Axe III/soon IV and FM3 which likely starts with UI refresh and physical changes to accommodate better cooling capacities. Usually these new releases or refreshes are timed as to not diminish/stagnate sales potential of current inventory. So an FM4 would be my guess that includes a bump in specs and an extra foot switch plus it aligns nicely with naming schemes - Axe IV etc.
I think in this case, the timing was not in their control. Not sure why the FM3 wouldn’t be affected by the chip shortages… but maybe they’ve found a way around it?

Sean Meredith-Jones

It's mostly likely that they simply have inventory of the FM3, and as soon as they burn through those, we're back to the supply chain situation and they'll move to the new chip and introduce the FM3 Turbo. It's also likely they've already moved to the new chip and have placed orders for the new units. Or maybe they have already received the FM3 Turbo along with the FM9 Turbo, but need to burn through existing FM3 inventory first.

Who knows...

@Admin M@ said yesterday (?) that ppl should order now if they want anything, and he said that it applied to the FM3 too.

I very much doubt that Fractal will sell / provide motherboards, and I wouldn't be after that ... I'd just like to get my hands on a unit (any unit), and if it comes with a little something extra that it didn't have yesterday, then I'm happy ...
I doubt it too, as they immediately killed my wish thread way back when LOL!

That said, they're just specialized computers, and selling an upgrade that way sans warranty aside from the board itself would certainly be easy etc.

So, let me translate based on my experiences here- Yes there is something in the works for a refresh for both the Axe III/soon IV and FM3
Where's your reference for an Axe IV? I thought I'd previously read there were no plans for such a beast at present. And, other than wishful thinking in this thread, where's the reference for something being in the works for the FM3? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

It has been stated by Cliff and co there are no plans for AFIV. Fm3....not sure.
Yeah, I thought I recalled that statement, but couldn't be certain. It can't see that it really makes any sense at this time anyway. Just want to prevent any misconceptions from taking hold.

You never know with Fractal, but I am skeptical of an Axe4 anytime soon, or an FM4 for that matter. Their issue right now is chips. To warrant the creation and production of a brand new Axe, there would need to be massive leaps made in terms of the modeling of amps, cabs, effects, and new features. We have seen awesome updates recently, but they have been slightly incremental in nature, and the modeling has gotten so good that most can't distinguish it from mic'd tube amps in a recording. Everything coming out now is just minor improvements and tweaks. An FM4 would require a new hardware to add the extra switch. They already have redundancies with the FM3 & FC6/FM9 & FC12 in terms of the casing, so this doesn't make much sense to me right now. I could definitely see an FM3 turbo, however. The issue is chips and they seem to have a new source of slightly more powerful chips for the FM9. It stands to reason that since both units initially used the same chips, that this issue would extend to the FM3 as inventory runs dry. Or, perhaps demand is such that inventory won't become an issue and they'll be able to get enough of the current chips to fulfill them - the FM3 has been out longer and there isn't a backlog of waitlisted folks. Who knows. At the end of the day, 10% wouldn't be enough for me to drop $1,200 for another FM3. I'd rather spend the $1,800 for an FM9 turbo, but that's just me.

FWIW, here's a video explaining the chip shortage in an interesting way, I haven't heard it expressed like this and I am hip deep in the shortage in my day job. Turns out the chip shortages are due to a combination of older technology being deemed more reliable by auto makers, and that tech not being the best place to put money if you're a die plant. It makes more sense to invest in the newer die tech, not the older. The current chip bill about to be signed has money allocated for older die technology to develop more of that capacity.

What does this mean? I would guess the main IC shortages now have older die tech as well as being used in automotive applications. Newer microcontrollers and memory ICs may not be as affected. That's why the older glue microcontroller in one of our products has a 99 week lead time and all vendors are out of stock, but the new industrial microSD I had to specify yesterday has a 20 week lead time and tons in stock at multiple vendors.

FWIW, here's a video explaining the chip shortage in an interesting way, I haven't heard it expressed like this and I am hip deep in the shortage in my day job. Turns out the chip shortages are due to a combination of older technology being deemed more reliable by auto makers, and that tech not being the best place to put money if you're a die plant. It makes more sense to invest in the newer die tech, not the older. The current chip bill about to be signed has money allocated for older die technology to develop more of that capacity.

What does this mean? I would guess the main IC shortages now have older die tech as well as being used in automotive applications. Newer microcontrollers and memory ICs may not be as affected. That's why the older glue microcontroller in one of our products has a 99 week lead time and all vendors are out of stock, but the new industrial microSD I had to specify yesterday has a 20 week lead time and tons in stock at multiple vendors.

Very interesting video ...

:)

I'd personally be really bummed about the release of a FM3 turbo. One of my biggest fears with going digital was advancements leaving my product obsolete or undesirable. I look at all the AxeFX IIs and Ultras on the GC used site and worry that I'll fall behind before I'm ready. This is one of the reasons I haven't bought an Axe3 yet. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but these are just my thoughts.

I already alluded to an FM9 with alternative parts awhile back and even suggested it might get a bump in spec and was quickly dismissed by a few members who are in The Family as to not stir up a frenzy and voila a month or so later FM9 Turbo. We can all look at Fractal's development timelines and model life cycles over the years, but times have changed and it would be foolish to apply such a template going forward. While I still think Fractal Audio Systems does IT Best, several companies over the last 3 years alone have closed the gap considerably through hardware and/or software plug-ins. My point - Plans/ideas for a FM4 and Axe IV have already graced a yellow legal pad or digital equivalent for circuit layouts...

I'd personally be really bummed about the release of a FM3 turbo. One of my biggest fears with going digital was advancements leaving my product obsolete or undesirable. I look at all the AxeFX IIs and Ultras on the GC used site and worry that I'll fall behind before I'm ready. This is one of the reasons I haven't bought an Axe3 yet. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but these are just my thoughts.
Are you happy with your current tone and ability to dial in the rigs you want? I play an FM3 in my band and our lead player still rocks an AX8. He sounds just as good as I do, if not better every show. He’s a phenomenally talented player and hasn’t touched his settings in years. My point is that there are some downsides to getting used to constant updates. We are always jonesing for that next hit…er….update. If the updates for the FM3 stopped today, I would be satisfied with my product and ability to dial in great tone. Will the resale value drop when the next generation hits? Sure, but damn this thing does so much. I can’t see someone not finding value in that down the line.

My point - Plans/ideas for a FM4 and Axe IV have already graced a yellow legal pad or digital equivalent for circuit layouts...
I'm still confused on where you are getting this info. Can you explain?

Yours is the only post I can recall even mentioning an FM4. I see two camps of people here, those that want more switches and those willing to sacrifice switches for a reduced footprint. If anything, I'd imagine the FM3 successor getting smaller and not larger.

The Axe III and FM9 are awesome, though I prefer the form factor of the FM3, which is under powered compared to the others, so that's what should be upgraded IMHO.

I'm in for a FM3 Turbo LOL!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom