FM3 to FM9 to FM3?

AlanC

I started with an AX8 years ago and loved it. When the FM3 came out I was dubious on whether I could survive with only three footswitches, but eventually I ordered one and loved it. This was before the FM9 existed.

When the FM3 Mark II was announced, at first I wanted to upgrade for the extra processing power, but it also prompted me to look at the FM9 Turbo and I ended up selling my FM3 and ordering the FM9 Turbo.

When the FM9 Mark II was announced the other day, I decided I really wanted the larger scribble strips and sold my FM9 Turbo almost immediately.

I’m now on the waiting list for the FM9 Mark II and I’m debating about switching back to the FM3 Mark II.

The small form factor of the FM3 is very attractive and the price is certainly a consideration. While I enjoyed having all the extra processing power available on the FM9, I never really used it. Also I’ve noticed that having all the extra buttons at my disposal is not necessarily a good thing because I’ve selected the wrong one more than once during a gig.

Has anyone else switched from an FM9 to an FM3? Are you happy with the decision?

This may not be what you're looking for but here goes. I use both. I don't need the power of either really. I use both as a backup/main setup. I use the fm3 when I'm on very small stages and the fm9 with two expression pedals when I have room to use it. I like having the exact same presets between them and if one should fail, I have the exact same tones ready to go in minutes. I was a basic amp guy forever so I use the fractal as a modern way to have a great Marshall with a boost and delay anywhere at any volume. I would say if you can get by with the fm3, stick with that. The fm9 is great but overkill for me. I use very little processing power so I'm going to be in the minority for sure.

I'm a big advocate of the FM3+FC6 combination with the factory FM3 and OMG9 layouts. It's got the sound, and it's easy to shrink it down on stage, and to pack it into a nice tight bundle for traveling. Using the built-in layouts means you can jump back and forth.

I really like the FM9 and it's my usual go-to around town but when I travel it's the FM3+FC6.

If you're absolutely sure you don't need the extra power, get the FM3.

You could always get the FC-6 later, or you may find a few extra stand-in switches will do the trick.

Haven't switched. I have both. Same presets across both platforms with the exception of having more effects loaded on the FM9.

Use the FM3 or FM9 depending on the stage. Tonight I have a gig where the stage space is limited (at least on my side), so will use the FM3.

FM9 for sure if you like to blend amps or you have presets that are fully stacked with many effects (kitchen sink). The FM3 works for me - occasionally I hit CPU limits and have to drop the reverb back, drop to mono cabs, or use the boost built into the amp.

I did towards the end of last year. I sold my FM9 MKI and bought an FM3 MKII Turbo. I was happy at first as I thought I could get some cash back and save some space. I was using it with either my FC6 pedalboard or my RJM GT22 pedalboard.

I soon realised I preferred the FM9 as I like to use an external tuner and tie it to output 3. Output 1 and 2 are also used, one for FOH and the other for my Mission FRFR. On the FM3 I had to use a splitter buffer so I could have an extra output and the cabling started to become a mess under my board and costing me more. Also I didn't realise how much I like having an extra amp block in there. Not for dual amps but for just experimenting within a preset if I want to try something else and compare it with another amp I use. Plus I wanted the extra CPU again!

Plus if I just want to take the FM9 out with me and not use my other pedalboards with it I can!

Probably not major issue for most of you but for me it definitely is. So I sold the FM3 MKII Turbo and I'm on the wait list again for the FM9 MKII Turbo.

Yes I know I'm crazy! All us guitar players are you know lol!

My advice is If you can afford the FM9 go for it! The extra CPU and features will definitely be worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this!

The FM3 is really attractive to me primarily for the size and weight (and the price to an extent), but I also like the idea of having the additional capabilities that the FM9 provides.

As many of you have suggested, I'm starting to realize that the answer is just to have one of each!

For now I think I'm going to order the FM9 MKII Turbo and maybe add an FM3 at some point in the future.

Back
Top Bottom