FM3 thru USB frustrations

Luth2000

Inspired
Hi everyone - I received a new FM3 about a month ago, and have owned it with Firmware 1.0, 3.0, and now 3.1 (I skipped 2.0 beta). I'm running an iMac (late 2013) with 32 GB of ram, playing through Logic. Have also used the FM3 through a MacBook Pro.

What works: Sounds great using headphones only.

What also works flawlessly: I have a, Axe FX 2 XL+, connected vis USB to the iMac, same settings, same Logic etc. Running output through a Apogee Element 24, sounds clean through headphones and monitors.

What doesn't really work: FM3 thru USB into either computer - sound is fairly good, but not without artifacts, that don't seem related to inputted signal. For example, sometimes I'll be playing clean, and letting notes sustain, and a group of artifacts sounds; also happens when striking notes. It seems unrelated to signal boost, and is prevalent enough to say it is a real problem.

In all honesty, I had this problem initially with the Axe FX 2 XL+, ran it in analog mode for many months, then switched to USB and it is perfectly quiet. I have to assume that some firmware update sorted that problem out? I'm running Ares 2.0 Firmware.

Last night upgraded to 3.01, and still have problems. FM3 and computer running plugged into the same Furman power conditioner. Using the same exact USB cable that works fine with the Axe FX 2.

Tried a reset after the 3.01 upgrade and still have artifacts.

The fact that I am running everything exactly the same with the FM3 and Axe FX 2, is drawing me to the conclusion that the FM3 (thru USB) is the problem.

I'm curious how many of you are running FM3 thru USB with zero artifacts?

thanks,
Luther

I have a very similar issue where I get random artifacts over USB using a Mac. Thanks for sharing your experience as I was almost thinking that I am the lone sole with USB issues.

I use a PC, but i think with a Mac you can also adjust the buffer size of the FM3s Audio Driver! Maybe its to small dialed in?

I use a PC, but i think with a Mac you can also adjust the buffer size of the FM3s Audio Driver! Maybe its to small dialed in?
I have the I/O buffer set at 256 in Logic, have tried various other settings, but still battle the artifacts. And still point to the fact that the FX 2 has no problems at the same settings. Thanks for the feedback!

Hey there @Luth2000 , I was having USB related artifact issues early on before 2.0 FW release. I believe 1.6 had fixed the issues for me.
I haven't tried on 3.1 yet, however, is there any way you can try an another USB cable?

EDIT: Just saw you mentioned you used the same USB cable that works fine with AxeFX2...may need to wait for Fractal to chime in.

Hey there @Luth2000 , I was having USB related artifact issues early on before 2.0 FW release. I believe 1.6 had fixed the issues for me.
I haven't tried on 3.1 yet, however, is there any way you can try an another USB cable?
I've tried a few cables, but as I said, the current cable I'm using is the same high quality cable that works flawlessly on the FX 2, so I don't think thats the problem. (meaning the same exact cable)

Have you adjusted the buffer on the unit, too?

Also, on PC there's a buffer setting in the Fractal USB Audio control panel, I think.

Curious though, even though you are PC, are you running thru USB?

I run to a direct USB 2.0 Port on my PC, dont use USB-Hubs to connect.
Do you also tried the "Safe Mode" in the FM3 USB Audio Device Control Panel?
Is your Project Sampelrate in Logic also set to 48KHz? (It is possible in Samplitude or Cubase to set it to different Rates!)

The FM3 Driver always sends the delayed Audio thru the Computer back, so i hear the normal FM3 Signal and the doubled USB Audio Signal. I have a function in Samplitude called "Hardware Monitoring", which prevents me from this (it dont sends the armed Channel back), maybe Logic has a similar function? Are this maybe the Artefacts you are talking?

Attachments

• FM3 Audio Driver.PNG
    FM3 Audio Driver.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 21
2013 is quite old, cpu processors play a big role when If comes to rtl and buffet settings. I’d say increase the buffer settings and check if logic is set to 48khz when using asio driver for the fm3. I’m pretty sure it will subside when you get to a higher number. Might be time for a new computer.

I'm curious how many of you are running FM3 thru USB with zero artifacts?

As you probably know, a lot of people who experienced usb problems with firmware version 1 are having success with 2 and 3. Unfortunately, the word "artifact" isn't very informative here. Rule number 1 may be to attach a preset, but rule number 2 is to attach an audio example :).

I run to a direct USB 2.0 Port on my PC, dont use USB-Hubs to connect.
Do you also tried the "Safe Mode" in the FM3 USB Audio Device Control Panel?
Is your Project Sampelrate in Logic also set to 48KHz? (It is possible in Samplitude or Cubase to set it to different Rates!)

The FM3 Driver always sends the delayed Audio thru the Computer back, so i hear the normal FM3 Signal and the doubled USB Audio Signal. I have a function in Samplitude called "Hardware Monitoring", which prevents me from this (it dont sends the armed Channel back), maybe Logic has a similar function? Are this maybe the Artefacts you are talking?
I’m not using hubs, going straight into computer in same working usb input that the axe fx 2 works on.

the fm3 driver. Control panel is not on the mac.

2013 is quite old, cpu processors play a big role when If comes to rtl and buffet settings. I’d say increase the buffer settings and check if logic is set to 48khz when using asio driver for the fm3. I’m pretty sure it will subside when you get to a higher number. Might be time for a new computer.

Just a heads up...

I'm using a mid 2010 Macbook Pro on High Sierra. Not a single issue here with either the Axe-FX III or the FM3. Both as standalone units or as Agreggate devices with my Scarlett 18i20.

Stats on my computer:
Processor (I’ll clarify which one in the morning)
  • 3.2GHz
    3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
  • 3.4GHz
    3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
requirements posted in Manuel say cpu: Intel processor
i have 32 g or ram.
and again, same settings, USB port, cable, interface, software, all work cleanly with axe fx 2 xl+.
on buffer, I’m already at 256, and the rare time I tested higher it produced too much latency and didn’t remove the artifacts.

Just a heads up...

I'm using a mid 2010 Macbook Pro on High Sierra. Not a single issue here with either the Axe-FX III or the FM3. Both as standalone units or as Agreggate devices with my Scarlett 18i20.
Interesting. Good to hear a testimonial from a mac owner. You are running usb? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom