FM3 Logic Pro - Difference in tone after recording

2. I connected it to the XLR and here I found the problem, my preset sounds like this, i.e. thin and weak, it seems that the headphone output somehow colors the sound... it adds bass, fullness.
The best way to describe it is this: the headphone output produces full sound on the current preset. the xlr output is as if it had no cab block, harsh and no bass.
Ive asked this question before like 1.5 year ago about difference between xlr and headphone output , the answer was that sound wise should be the same...
Interesting...

Good to hear you found the issue!

As for (re)EQing the presets for the new setup, my recommendation is that you check the presets - or at least your core/common saved amp and cab blocks - on several different (and diverse) systems, potentially any or all of the following:

1. Studio headphones, fed from the FM3 headphone output or another suitable headphone amp

2. IEMs, especially if there is any chance you’ll be gigging the FM3 with IEMs

3. Studio monitors, ideally nearfield and midfield

4. PA gear that is typical of the PA gear you may plug into

… and:

- consider checking both stereo and mono versions of presets (depending on your presets - maybe you’re never running stereo …)

- keep in mind the final destination for your signal - for example, unless you’re literally a solo guitar artist (no other instruments) keep in mind the space you want to fill in a mix - most of the time a guitar tone that when solo’d sounds a bit lacking in bass and high treble will fit just right in the mix. Another rule of thumb that is often appropriate is to set the gain where it sounds right … then back off a bit - aka ‘Malcolm’s tone was way cleaner than most of us think …’ :)

It may not be possible to get ‘ideal’ sound on all gear/systems, but in my experience the best presets will sound great on all of them and ideally warrant only minor tweaks (for example, ITB after recording, or at FoH during a gig).

This is similar to how, during mixing of an album, I’d want it checked on a variety of systems, each of which may reveal things I want to change but that the others wouldn’t.

Thanks much appreciated
I’ve got presets for rehearsal and live . I’m keeping them seperated from home use hence Monsun Fletcher effect. I’m happy with my live tone, cut through in the mix with drummer and bass…
I just need to get these new cables and tweak my presets for home use, recording …

Aha - progress!

Well, now you know where to start fixing things ... can I ask, is the power amp simulation and speaker simulation turned on in the global settings?

Also, check the output settings from the FM3 XLR outs - from memory these can be -10 or +4 db.

A patch that is perfect for live sound may be completely off for a recorded sound. You'll need to carve out the right sonic territory for the guitar.

I'd start with the global EQ, or copy a patch you think works well to a new preset location, and tweak or edit from there.
All amp sim and cab sim on
Like I said in my previous post, I’ve got 2 different (or even more) presets for live and home . I’m happy with my love tone… or at least is good enough :), there is always something to change , tweak for better sound … 🤪

Back
Top Bottom