FM3 Recording and Re-Amping [Video]

Great video! I'm just starting to get into home recording so this was cool to watch.

I'm using Pro Tools with Windows 10, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and my CLR's as my monitors. Its been a little bit of a struggle but I'm up and running. My workflow seems to work better using my Scarlett 2i2 as the main interface though and treating the Axe III or FM3 as an instrument plugged into the Focusrite. I'm also using a Beat Buddy as my drum source connected to the Focusrite along with my iPad for some backing tracks. I seem to run into issues with Pro Tools switching back and forth between the Axe III and Fucusrite as the interface so I've just decided to go with the Focusrite as the main interface.

Great video! I'm just starting to get into home recording so this was cool to watch.

I'm using Pro Tools with Windows 10, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and my CLR's as my monitors. Its been a little bit of a struggle but I'm up and running. My workflow seems to work better using my Scarlett 2i2 as the main interface though and treating the Axe III or FM3 as an instrument plugged into the Focusrite. I'm also using a Beat Buddy as my drum source connected to the Focusrite along with my iPad for some backing tracks. I seem to run into issues with Pro Tools switching back and forth between the Axe III and Fucusrite as the interface so I've just decided to go with the Focusrite as the main interface.
Thanks Todd! If you don't think you will be re-amping anytime soon then the workflow you have is fine. That was generally my setup for a long time until I discovered creating aggregate devices on my mac. What that does is allow you to connect all your devices together (You could connect via S/PDIF if Focusrite had it) and see all inputs and outputs for both devices so you could take advantage of those as well as re-amping ability on the axe fx and/or fm3. Windows has a program called ASIO4ALL that you can try out. Check out this article if you want to mess with it. Hope you are doing well! https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/aggregate-audio-devices-and-drivers-for-pc-and-mac/

Thanks Todd! If you don't think you will be re-amping anytime soon then the workflow you have is fine. That was generally my setup for a long time until I discovered creating aggregate devices on my mac. What that does is allow you to connect all your devices together (You could connect via S/PDIF if Focusrite had it) and see all inputs and outputs for both devices so you could take advantage of those as well as re-amping ability on the axe fx and/or fm3. Windows has a program called ASIO4ALL that you can try out. Check out this article if you want to mess with it. Hope you are doing well! https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/aggregate-audio-devices-and-drivers-for-pc-and-mac/
Thanks bro. Stay safe!

I've tried a few times to get reamping to work, but it doesnt seem to work at all for me. Granted, it was on 1.02? (think that'd make a difference?) - I also tried with just my Scarlett 2i4 and also ASIO4ALL but that seemed mega buggy and latency. I'll give it a go again with your video but I was wondering, would this work??

Guitar into FM3 Input 2
FM3 Outputs into Scarlett Inputs
Scarlett Output 1/2 to Monitors
Scarlett Output 3 to FM3 input 1

That way I could keep the Scarlett as the interface choice in Windows/DAW and just route the output of the DI track thru FM3's In 1 - then back through Scarlett input to capture the wet track. I feel like this would work much easier if I had a larger interface with more input/outputs, but is it even possible or would the FM3 input be overloaded too much from the scarlett output?

For now, im recording with the Neural DSP plugins still solely cause reamping with that is the easiest thing ever, but I obviously like the FM3 sounds much more.. hopefully I can get this to work someday, especially if I dont have to switch cables around each time I want to reamp like I've seen in some videos. Maybe I'll just remove the Scarlett completely and use only the FM3, if it works much better for that situation.

Last edited:
I've tried a few times to get reamping to work, but it doesnt seem to work at all for me. Granted, it was on 1.02? (think that'd make a difference?) - I also tried with just my Scarlett 2i4 and also ASIO4ALL but that seemed mega buggy and latency. I'll give it a go again with your video but I was wondering, would this work??

Guitar into FM3 Input 2
FM3 Outputs into Scarlett Inputs
Scarlett Output 1/2 to Monitors
Scarlett Output 3 to FM3 input 1

That way I could keep the Scarlett as the interface choice in Windows/DAW and just route the output of the DI track thru FM3's In 1 - then back through Scarlett input to capture the wet track. I feel like this would work much easier if I had a larger interface with more input/outputs, but is it even possible or would the FM3 input be overloaded too much from the scarlett output?

For now, im recording with the Neural DSP plugins still solely cause reamping with that is the easiest thing ever, but I obviously like the FM3 sounds much more.. hopefully I can get this to work someday, especially if I dont have to switch cables around each time I want to reamp like I've seen in some videos. Maybe I'll just remove the Scarlett completely and use only the FM3, if it works much better for that situation.
If you want to use the FM3, you need to connect it on its own and use it as the primary interface or connect it with the scarlett via ASIO4ALL. Getting the direct signal to the track and then back through the FM3 is only accomplished by having the available inputs and outputs of the FM3 (Or getting a separate re-amping box altogether - radial makes a few of them). The DI from the FM3 is only via input 3 and then re-amping that back is done by make a change on FM3 (my video goes through this) and then routing that DI back through the FM3. Using the scarlett on its own as an interface doesn't give you the inputs and outputs of the FM3.

If you want to use the FM3, you need to connect it on its own and use it as the primary interface or connect it with the scarlett via ASIO4ALL. Getting the direct signal to the track and then back through the FM3 is only accomplished by having the available inputs and outputs of the FM3 (Or getting a separate re-amping box altogether - radial makes a few of them). The DI from the FM3 is only via input 3 and then re-amping that back is done by make a change on FM3 (my video goes through this) and then routing that DI back through the FM3. Using the scarlett on its own as an interface doesn't give you the inputs and outputs of the FM3.

I did have the FM3 in ASIO4ALL with the Scarlett, but the latency is just unbearable (unless I treated it as just recording, and not playback - its unplayable as a real time device) - I was using the USB function in the FM3 settings, basically everything in your video, but either my computer drivers are not picking up something or my DAW is junk, which i'm using free reaper so thats a possibility. I'll try one last time in a better DAW (for instance, I noticed FL studio gave me way more options in the audio options panel than reaper, but I dont really like recording guitar direct into FL studio)

Old thread may be "old" but comes in handy. I did some reamping a month or so back but my brain is fried as of late. Watched @orion32773 vid in the OP and got myself sorted out again 👏 Thank you sir!

Good to hear. Yea that video goes fast so some people don’t like that lol. I was experimenting with shorter to the point videos to keep things moving quickly.

Reactions: JTI
Good to hear. Yea that video goes fast so some people don’t like that lol. I was experimenting with shorter to the point videos to keep things moving quickly.
All imo; but these kinds of video topics benefit GREATLY (for me, at least) to boiling it down to the essentials. Fractal is a deep platform and the overall process is trickier (using any type/platform of gear) than some might want to take on. So simplification is much appreciated!

Thanks to firmware 1.04 I was able to do this video. USB issues were getting in the way but now you can get your recording and re-amping on! This isn't a full in depth tutorial but a quick run through laying down a couple tracks and re-amping. Lots of fun!

Thanks! Every time I forget how to do it I go back to your video :D Really appreciate it!

I have a XL+, but was thinking of getting the FM3...
I also have a Focusrite card. For several reasons I don't use the Axe's USB as the active soundcard in my PC. I connect the XL to the Focusrite with the analog outs and also spdif in and out. My studio monitors are connected to the Focusrite.

I can easily reamp without using the Axe USB-channels. When i record, i record the DI-track coming from the Axe's spdif out and the wet track from the analog out.
When i want to reamp I send the recorded dry track to the Axe's spdif in, adjust tone, and record the wet track again.

I'm a little disappointed to see the FM3 doesn't have a spdif in...
I guess my way of reamping is out of the question then? I need to get the recorded dry track back to the FM3 and simultaneously record the wet track coming from my analog outs.
Can i use the analog In2 for the dry track? (Connected to a out from the Focusrite)

For me, it's just not convenient to connect the studio monitors to the FM3. I also need the Focusrite for recording vocals and miked acoustic guitars, which the FM3 can't do without phantom power.
Also, just listening to music or doing other things on the pc and needing to have the FM3 on all the time seems very unnecessary...

On mac you could use an aggregate device. What OS is your PC?
Win 10. Yeah, i know you can do a workaround on a PC aswell, but from what I read it's not very stable and it's hard to get decent latency...

Can i use the analog In2 for the dry track? (Connected to a out from the Focusrite)
Sure you can. make sure you use in2 as your preset entry block.
No need to connect the monitors to the FM3 if you grab the out and put it into focusrite's in... Use the FM3 as an amp -agnostic of a computer and you should be fine. my $0.02
Problem will be with tracking (latency) for the initial recording of the dry signal since the metronome will be in your daw...

Back
Top Bottom