FM3 Pre purchase question

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
Considering getting an FM3 for a tiny grab n go board. Can I set up the foot switches as follows??

When hitting effects, I’d like to see comp, delay and reverb (or any 3 effects) on the 3 buttons, with a long hold to get me back to a Home Screen of Presets, Scenes and effects? I think the answer is yes, but just want to be sure.

How many guys or gals here have FM3s AND another FAS product (bigger) and bought an FM3 as a grab and go down and dirty solution? Do you have button envy 😂? I kid, but I’m wondering if I’m going to be able to get around ok with 3 buttons.

Adding a simple dual-button external switch as "stand-in" switches adds a lot of functionality. They will have every function of the built-in switches (except the LED rings). Functions like switching between Layouts or Views, Tuner/Tap Tempo, Control Switches, addition Scenes, Per-Preset Overrides, etc...

This will only leave you one jack for an expression pedal though.

Adding a simple dual-button external switch as "stand-in" switches adds a lot of functionality. They will have every function of the built-in switches (except the LED rings).

This will only leave you one jack for an expression pedal though.
Wouldn’t “need” more than one. 2 more buttons would definitely seem to open things up.

Considering getting an FM3 for a tiny grab n go board. Can I set up the foot switches as follows??

When hitting effects, I’d like to see comp, delay and reverb (or any 3 effects) on the 3 buttons, with a long hold to get me back to a Home Screen of Presets, Scenes and effects? I think the answer is yes, but just want to be sure.

How many guys or gals here have FM3s AND another FAS product (bigger) and bought an FM3 as a grab and go down and dirty solution? Do you have button envy 😂? I kid, but I’m wondering if I’m going to be able to get around ok with 3 buttons.

Yup.

I run mine in a similar fashion----but Drive, Delay, Reverb.... and then center FS Hold and it reverts to Master Layout
with Scenes, Presets, Effects.

Yup.

I run mine in a similar fashion----but Drive, Delay, Reverb.... and then center FS Hold and it reverts to Master Layout
with Scenes, Presets, Effects.

Yea the more I’m looking into this the more I’m leaning at pulling the trigger here.

I also think the answer is yes but just to be sure, can I delete every single factory preset and just load up 3 or 4 presets and run from there?

I am pretty sure you can. I have not done it though. I just keep the Factory presets and then
load all of my own presets starting at 400. Deleting the Factory presets doesn't save any CPU,
or help in that regard, so I just leave them. Just in case.

I am pretty sure you can. I have not done it though. I just keep the Factory presets and then
load all of my own presets starting at 400. Deleting the Factory presets doesn't save any CPU,
or help in that regard, so I just leave them. Just in case.
I’d probably want to delete them, as the FM3 would really only serve a specific type of gig that would involve one or 2 kitchen sink presets anyway. I imagine I’d get to them a lot faster if they were the only presets stored.

I’d probably want to delete them, as the FM3 would really only serve a specific type of gig that would involve one or 2 kitchen sink presets anyway. I imagine I’d get to them a lot faster if they were the only presets stored.

For live use I stay one one preset pretty much all the time.Just makes
playing more enjoyable. Treat the 3 switches like pedals. On or off. FM3
reacts to my guitar volume and touch like an amp so why not.

For live use I stay one one preset pretty much all the time.Just makes
playing more enjoyable. Treat the 3 switches like pedals. On or off. FM3
reacts to my guitar volume and touch like an amp so why not.
I have 2 main gigs, one is 80s pop/rock and the other is country. This pedal would serve as a backup and I’d load those presets in for them. I plan on using the FM3 for zero of those gigs as I’m now using the FM9…….but……..I do plan on soon starting a husband/wife duo with a couple speakers on sticks. Thinking the FM3 would serve fantastically for that. Leave the bigger board at home and just throw the FM3 in a bag and go. With a PA to set up, less will definitely be more in that instance.

How quickly you can get to your presets depends on how you’ve programmed the footswitches, or how close those presets are to each other. The presence of other presets doesn’t change that. But you can, of course, erase any presets you want to. In case you don’t like how they smell, or something. :)

How quickly you can get to your presets depends on how you’ve programmed the footswitches, or how close those presets are to each other. The presence of other presets doesn’t change that. But you can, of course, erase any presets you want to. In case you don’t like how they smell, or something. :)
If I only had 2 presets on the machine, it would be hard to put them any closer together 😂

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom