FM3 Patch for Mesa Mark V:35

ChipBurns

Which patch should I be using to emulate my Mesa Mark V:35? I've tried the USA IIC+ and it sounds pretty shrill/thin to my ear.

I'm currently using the Carol Ann Tucana patch and I love it.

Any suggestions? I've read about the 4cm but I don't understand what that is referring to.

Thanks.

What are using to listen to the FM3? If you're using an amp like the Mark V:35, make sure the Cab block is bypassed. If you're using studio monitors or headphones, there's a lot of things you can do to 'beef up' presets: Use different IR(s) experimenting with different mics, tweak the Output EQ (should be the 5-Band (Mark) type for the USA preset), turn off the 'Bright Switch' if it's on. Without knowing how you using the FM3, it's difficult to know what else to suggest.

For resources of other presets to try, check out Leon Todd's YouTube channel (@2112 here on the forum) for some really good Mesa tones and free IRs. Axe Change has some you can try as well - https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/search-results.php?search=iic+&fields=all&products=0&setups=0

4CM is used to connect the FM3 to an amp that will allow you to use the Amp modeling and other effects you want going into the front of the amp and also have effects in the effects loop of a physical amp.

The 4CM is the 4 Cable Method, or a way of hooking up an amp with an effects loop and a modeller or multifx with an effects loop together so that you can use the multifx both before the amp and inside the loop. It puts the Preamp inside the modellers effects loop so you can use the real amp's preamp instead of an amp block, then add delay/etc and output it into the real amps power amp. It would be an option if you just want to keep using your amp and use the FM3 for effects or to occasionally switch to another amp sound, but isn't an answer to getting the same tone on the FM3 alone.

As for it sounding thin and shrill, there could be a lot of causes and it depends on how you're using the amp and how you're hooking up the FM3 and listening to it.

A grab bag of possible ideas:
  • Try the DEEP variation of the IIC+ model, or the IIC++ model
  • Make sure you're using the GEQ on the IIC+ model amp block.
  • GEQ on the IIC+ amp block is more sensitive than the real thing, you don't need to turn the sliders up as far to get the same effect. So if you cranked the highest slider maybe bring it to half
  • What IR are you using? If you listening to a close mic'd 57 IR and comparing to standing above a 1x12 blasting at your knees, you're going to hear a lot more treble. Getting down at ear level with the cab would be a more similar coparison. Try a different IR that isn't as bright.
  • Maybe your studio monitors are a little shrill themselves? Have you compared to other recordings?

Thanks for the input guys.

Just to clarify:

• I'm running my FM3 into a Headrush 10" FRFR sitting roughly at head height.
  • I have a GEQ in the signal chain (I always put one in by default) but I'm not using it yet
  • I'm using the 4x12 Brit BB 57 and 4x12 Brit BB 160 cabs
  • I'm using the T808 for all my scenes
  • I'm comparing the following amps over 2 presets:
    • Carol Ann Tucana Lead
    • ODS-100 HRM
    • Dirty Shirley
    • 65 Bassguy Normal
    • Brit JM45
    • Some version of a Mesa head, TBD
I own a Mesa Mark 5:35 and a 65 Bassman. I'm not really happy with the Mesa, the gain is a little too 'metal' for me. The Bassman doesn't have quite enough punch.

I watched the G66 video on the Carol-Ann Tucana about 3 weeks ago and was very impressed. This has set me on a quest for a new amp; I'm using the FM3 to compare various options. So far my preference is the Carol-Ann but I'd like to include an accurate version of my 5:35 in this evaluation.

FYI my holy grail tone is Gary Moore's tone on "Still Got the Blues":

My name for this tone is 'Clean High Gain', if that makes any sense.

Hi. I have also come from a Mesa background and instantly found a connection with the Texas Star Clean (Lonestar).
It covers a lot of ground especially with a 3 Knob drive in front of it - give it a try and good luck with your search.

I always played the "USA LEAD" model which is a Mesa Boogie Mark IV amp. During Corona I bought a real Mark V:35 and spent a lot of time tweaking and comparing the MarkIV mode on it. I can get them to sound almost the same using the same settings of the knobs and EQ. The big revelation for me was how much the cabs in the FM3 affects the sound. So, in the Mark V:35 Combo there is a C90 speaker and so I'm using a C90 IR from ownhammer.com. It took me quite some time to experiment and find the right IR - even in one package from ownhammer with that speaker, there are many variation of microphones etc.

Another important aspect is that the sound you hear from the amp in the room is NOT the same as you get from the headrush or any PA - that is the sound of the amp with microphones on it (think of it as the amp being placed in another room and you hear the sound via the microphones). The feel is just .... different... as you can also read about in many posts in this forum :)

Last edited:
The Mark V is a little weird as far as the high gain modes it has, particularly in the lower wattage models. Depending who you ask, you might head that the IIC+ mode is actually a Mk IV variant. I’ve heard that the Mk IV mode is just IIC+ with Deep engaged. I don’t know if either of those is accurate.

Running the IIC+ Deep in the Axe FX sounds closest to the Mk IV mode in my V:25 to me, so what I’ve heard jives with my personal experience.

I’ll second that you need the right IR. Modern Boogie cabs sound like V30s to me (even when they’re not), so I like to start there. York Audio has a 2x12 Mesa can you can get a demo of for $1, and it is worth way more than that. Instantly sounded better than my actual Mesa cab in the room.

That should start you in the right direction.

The flip side is this: if you don’t gel with the Mk V, I don’t think I’d even worry about any of this. Ditch it and find what moves you. Life is too short. The Carol Ann is lovely.

Back
Top Bottom