FM3 Outputs

nota

If I like it, the FM3 will be taking the place of my USB interface and used for ALL my audio needs, from gigging to movie watching, because I'm a minimal guy.

I have two normal desktop monitors, and a single PA/FRFR speaker, and would like both connected at once for flexible routing. What's the best way to do this, since Output 2 is unbalanced?

If I like it, the FM3 will be taking the place of my USB interface and used for ALL my audio needs, from gigging to movie watching, because I'm a minimal guy.

I have two normal desktop monitors, and a single PA/FRFR speaker, and would like both connected at once for flexible routing. What's the best way to do this, since Output 2 is unbalanced?
Seeing that the FM3 is going to be your main USB interface for ALL your audio needs, but not a direct answer to your question, make sure your FM3 is the FM3-HP (or whatever it will be referred to going forward) with headphone jack since the initial run of FM3s does not have a headphone jack. Also, if you are not buying new when the time comes, it would be wise to ask the seller this question too because there is sure to be a fair price discrepancy going forward on the used market or in general what the market bears. Hope this helps!

with headphone jack

Oh yeah, I'll be making sure it has that jack. I'll be using pretty much all of them I think :) I've owned FAS stuff before and the amp modeling is always great, but what I'm excited about with this product is the routing and minimizing possibilities!

Unbalanced outputs shouldn’t really ruin anything. Unbalanced isn’t a negative, it’s not “worse” than balanced in most situations. It’s just different.

Unless there's noise or something? I read in the manual about using humbuster cables or tweaking the output level if there are noise issues.

The other way I could do it is plug the monitors into Output 2 and the PA into Output 1.

Unless there's noise or something? I read in the manual about using humbuster cables or tweaking the output level if there are noise issues.

The other way I could do it is plug the monitors into Output 2 and the PA into Output 1.
Humbuster is mostly for connecting to real amps but can be used anywhere if desired. It’s not saying there WILL be noise. Any video I’ve made or any live stream anyone has heard has been through the unbalanced outputs, and there is no noise. Unbalanced connections are not noisy all the time. Why would anyone put that on any audio gear if it was?

Yup I get that, I was just surprised to discover this, didn't know how much of a difference it would make with my setup. Looks like close to none!

Get a simple monitor controller (maybe with A/B switch) to connect all your speakers and headphones to and go from balanced out of the FM3 to the controller.

Nah, I'm a minimalist and that would mess with my fung, um schwayyyy... One Box to Rule them All

Back
Top Bottom