FM3 Out2 Level problem

boyphakinai

I sold a FM3 and the buyer told me that the Out 2 has a problem. (1/4” jack)

From Out 2, the Left and Right level are not matched. As one is a lot quieter than the other.
(The level meters are matched, but the signals received at FoH are not matched) (switching cable does not help)

Has anybody experienced this issue?
Could it be a problem from hardware?
Where should I tell him to check?

(I know it could be the result from the preset’s signal chain but I cannot check his preset because I do not have a Fractal unit now and I’m living too far from him to meet up)

Sorry for my English, feel free to ask for more details.
Thank you so much

Does it do this on all presets ? Has the buyer tried a default Fractal preset ?
The buyer said that the issue appeared on other presets as well. He created another preset with just Input Block and Out2 block, but the issue still there.

The problem is I’m ok to buy it back, but I just want to make sure that the unit is really broken. Otherwise, I would just waste more time getting it back and trying to sell it again:(

Tell him to swap cables from L to R. See if the problem "follows".

I've had this kind of issue before because of cables.

Tell him to make sure he has both left and right cable plugged in all the way. A plug in a HumBuster output, plugged in only halfway, will be louder.

Where should I tell him to check?
1. Plug both "sends" to respective "returns" on the back of the unit with short patch cables, i.e. "FX Send L" should go to "FX Return L", etc.
2. Make a simple preset from these blocks only: Input 1 - Amp - Cab - Output 2 - Input 2 - Output 1. Make sure no block have any panning or balance changed, just apply "block reset" on each to be absolutely sure.
3. Open "Meters" page on the unit, watch if meters show the passing signal, increase Level on the amp block if necessary.
4. Use headphones in Output 1, listen carefully if there is a volume difference between both channels while observing Meters at the same time. You need to see if Input 2 meters actually show different levels of the incoming signal
5. If the problem is still there, replace (or at least switch between L and R channels) both cables connecting Output 2 and Input 2. If the problem stays exactly the same, i.e. same channel has lower volume after switching cables, the issue is most likely with the unit. If the problem disappeared or "moved" to another channel, the problem is most likely with the cables and/or on the external interface which receives the signal from the Fractal.

1. Plug both "sends" to respective "returns" on the back of the unit with short patch cables, i.e. "FX Send L" should go to "FX Return L", etc.
2. Make a simple preset from these blocks only: Input 1 - Amp - Cab - Output 2 - Input 2 - Output 1. Make sure no block have any panning or balance changed, just apply "block reset" on each to be absolutely sure.
3. Open "Meters" page on the unit, watch if meters show the passing signal, increase Level on the amp block if necessary.
4. Use headphones in Output 1, listen carefully if there is a volume difference between both channels while observing Meters at the same time. You need to see if Input 2 meters actually show different levels of the incoming signal
5. If the problem is still there, replace (or at least switch between L and R channels) both cables connecting Output 2 and Input 2. If the problem stays exactly the same, i.e. same channel has lower volume after switching cables, the issue is most likely with the unit. If the problem disappeared or "moved" to another channel, the problem is most likely with the cables and/or on the external interface which receives the signal from the Fractal.
Thank you so much, this is really helpful.
Will make him try it first

Back
Top Bottom