FM3 or Axe FXiii for Pink Floyd duel amp setup

jontz71

Total newbie in research stage. Am 52 years old and a product of the 70’s and 80’s music scene. Recently lost my man cave with real amps to wife working from home remotely (like many folks).

Have been using UAD ox box and also Bias Fx2 to do solo cover tracking with backing tracks in Logic Pro X. Am a huge Pink Floyd and U2 fan, plus 80’s metal.

Many of my Bias fx2 signal chains have been duel amp setups with reverb and other effects placed on Buses in Logic Pro X.

Recently have been hearing some amazing sparkling clean axe fx Pink Floyd Division Bell presets on YouTube. As someone with chronic back pain I don’t want to spend hours setting up signal chains. Want to use and tweak presets for my needs.

Been hearing the FM3 cannot do duel amp setups ?

Not sure if the guys selling the axe fx presets for Pink Floyd use only duel amp setups, but I want to make sure I am covered. Will most likely buy a used unit in the coming months.

Any advice on gotchas to watch out for when buying a used axe fx iii ?

Yeah the FM9 is a good "Sweet Spot" between the FM3 & AxeFX III. Not as capable (or $$$) as the FX III but runs 2 amps & has enough horsepower for all of the genres you mentioned. The FM3 would be fine for that music too, just not for dual amp setups.

Dual amps are FM9 and AXE FX3. I do have a friend who plays in a Pink Floyd tribute band as well as several other projects and he uses an FM3, don't underestimate how much you can make with just a single amp sound.

Are you using 'dual amps' for a specific reason? Like two different amp types to achieve something sonically that one amp can't, or might not achieve. Or just to have a stereo thing going on. Or to attempt to recreate a real word dual amp setup. What does your signal chain routing look like? In most cases, the dual amp thing was/is to overcome limitations, that might not exist in the Fractal ecosystem.

Are you going to be stationary in some other place in the house with some nice speakers nearby, or you will need to move around the house and maybe use headphones?
Consider weight and size if you will need to move and want your back to be ok. An FM3 and a small Genelec monitor used as a speaker is something even a child can move around the house, for example.

Are you using 'dual amps' for a specific reason? Like two different amp types to achieve something sonically that one amp can't, or might not achieve. Or just to have a stereo thing going on. Or to attempt to recreate a real word dual amp setup. What does your signal chain routing look like? In most cases, the dual amp thing was/is to overcome limitations, that might not exist in the Fractal ecosystem.
Not sure if the guys selling the axe fx presets for Pink Floyd use only duel amp setups, but I want to make sure I am covered.

I find I love the sound of two different amps mixed together. Gilmour often mixes the hiwatt with duel showman, u2 the edge mixes vox and fender tweed. Have always loved those tones when I am in the mood for them. Since I can't play my real amps due to wife working from home thought the fractal might be an upgrade from Bias Fx2?

Anyone come to fractal from Bias FX2 ?

Thank you all for pointing out the fm9 does duel amps. I have a bad back. Will the fm9 allow one to setup things on a MacBook vs bending down to the unit controls ?

I find I love the sound of two different amps mixed together. Gilmour often mixes the hiwatt with duel showman, u2 the edge mixes vox and fender tweed. Have always loved those tones when I am in the mood for them. Since I can't play my real amps due to wife working from home thought the fractal might be an upgrade from Bias Fx2?

Anyone come to fractal from Bias FX2 ?

Thank you all for pointing out the fm9 does duel amps. I have a bad back. Will the fm9 allow one to setup things on a MacBook vs bending down to the unit controls ?
Live he doesn’t usually use blended amps, he uses hiwatts in stereo along with a third hiwatt for driving his rotating speakers. I played in a Pink Floyd tribute band and was able to get completely accurate sounds using a single amp setup in my fractal. While dual amp setups are fun sometimes they can needlessly complicate the chain

Live he doesn’t usually use blended amps, he uses hiwatts in stereo along with a third hiwatt for driving his rotating speakers. I played in a Pink Floyd tribute band and was able to get completely accurate sounds using a single amp setup in my fractal. While dual amp setups are fun sometimes they can needlessly complicate the chain
Totally with you on simple as I am limited in time I can now spend in the chair due to back issues.
1) does fm3 and fm9 allow you set everything from a computer or does one have to do it all on the unit ?

2) love the Floyd stereo spread but if that can be done with two amps or cabs id love to hear about. Was hoping to buy other users fractal presets for Floyd. Just worried they would be killed and duel amp setups.

I often just add spread with fx on buses like most. There is something magical about two amp setups though. Making lean towards a used fm9 if I can tweak settings on computer vs unit.

I’d say like 98% of hardware gilmour rigs I see, even from some of the best guys like Kit Rae, Bjorn etc who simply nail the tones, are not using dual amps. Any clean high headroom amp will really work, twin, Hiwatt etc. The Gilmourish guy nails it even using a little Laney Cub lol

Yeah but then I do like to play artist like U2 who do use two amps for that distinct color for grit. The Edge uses a vox and fender tweed. Nice to have the option.

Yeah but then I do like to play artist like U2 who do use two amps for that distinct color for grit. The Edge uses a vox and fender tweed. Nice to have the option.
Ok, so what answer do you want?

You asked if it's needed and multiple people said "no", but you reject their answers.

Like I sometimes tell my wife when she does something similar: why did you ask me then? ;)

I think you've already decided you need dual amps.

If that's the case, the FM3 is not an option. Again, I'll suggest the FM9.

By the way, to answer this:
1) does fm3 and fm9 allow you set everything from a computer or does one have to do it all on the unit ?
No and neither does the Axe Fx III.

Most things can be done from the editor but some global settings / setup is done only from the hardware.

That might be an argument in favor of the Axe Fx.

Ok, so what answer do you want?

You asked if it's needed and multiple people said "no", but you reject their answers.

Like I sometimes tell my wife when she does something similar: why did you ask me then? ;)

I think you've already decided you need dual amps.

If that's the case, the FM3 is not an option. Again, I'll suggest the FM9.

By the way, to answer this:

No and neither does the Axe Fx III.

Most things can be done from the editor but some global settings / setup is done only from the hardware.

That might be an argument in favor of the Axe Fx.
Don’t think I rejected any thing lol. Am simply gathering opinions to make an educated decision.

All Fractal units can be edited on a computer.
Many claim the software editor is easier to use as well. It's a very good program.

Back
Top Bottom