FM3 Monitor Options-Powerstage with Celestion F12-X200 or Electro-Voice PXM-12MP?

joafink2

Hello. I'm looking at some monitoring options with my FM3. I plan on using the amp sims with cabinet IRs. I like the idea of the Powerstage with a Celestion F12-X200 in my Port City 1x12 OS cabinet for a more authentic speaker feel. Also could go a different route and pick up one of those new Electro-Voice PXM-12MP monitors (when they are available) which look killer. Anyone try the powerstage with the celestion F12-X200 who has an opinion on whether this is a good match?

Hello. I'm looking at some monitoring options with my FM3. I plan on using the amp sims with cabinet IRs. I like the idea of the Powerstage with a Celestion F12-X200 in my Port City 1x12 OS cabinet for a more authentic speaker feel. Also could go a different route and pick up one of those new Electro-Voice PXM-12MP monitors (when they are available) which look killer. Anyone try the powerstage with the celestion F12-X200 who has an opinion on whether this is a good match?

So I'm breaking in a F12-X200 as of now with Celestion's recommendation on a custom cab with an FM3 and Powerstage 200. I'm digging it so far. What can I answer?

So I'm breaking in a F12-X200 as of now with Celestion's recommendation on a custom cab with an FM3 and Powerstage 200. I'm digging it so far. What can I answer?

Do you like it? How does it sound? Is it a reasonable recreation of the preset with a realistic speaker cabinet feel?

Last edited:
I did try my NL12 cab with the F12x 200 and PS170
I really like it and was immediately convinced
I like it better than my xitones that were my référence with a matrix GT1000
More amp feel but still clarity of an FRFR
To me it is the best compromise I have found
all stock Presets and AB presets sound great with no tweak
PS170 was run flat eq and at noon and this is very loud (at least to my hears)
Plus the NL12 is ridiculously light
But I know some guys did not like the F12x200 depends cab they use so reviews are mixed

Do you like it? How does it sound? Is it a reasonable recreation of the preset with a realistic speaker cabinet feel?

I'm using it with a PowerStage 200 and a buddy and I A/B'd it to a CLR MKII and found that if we shaved a bit of presence and a bit of mids off with the PowerStage EQ section, the presets were nearly indistinguishable between the two monitoring solutions. I bring this up because for most, the CLR is the cream of the crop for accurate preset reproduction. Shaving the mids or presence was not necessary, we're talkin a DB or so. Half a notch down, but that got it right there.

With that being said, it's no question more cab like and fun to play through. It sounds great tilted like a cabinet too. Also looks cool on stage if that's a thing for you - to have your rig look more traditional.

For your reference I had a custom built cab per the Celestion specs because I wanted to make sure I minded P's and Q's going this route for accuracy. I didn't want to go misjudging it because I didn't set it up right to begin with. I appreciate accuracy, but at the end of the day, what the FOH does is what they'll do, so as long as I'm happy on stage and comfortable, I let the chips fall where they may - this solution achieved that. I use it at home and gigged it. Actually, it helps improve my recording presets too because I get another reference for low end to refer to. Let it break in, or break it in yourself. At first, it was a little more harsh than it is now.

Rig:
FM3>PowerStage 200>Celestion F12-X200 w/ Celestion spec'd cab.

Back
Top Bottom