FM3 locked up on me first time tonight...

if and when gapless comes to the FM3, I'll be moving the pitch block out of the preset, and put it on a separate switch. I could do away with the reverb and delay and just use a plex delay block, there are tons of options, i never use drive pedals, only the dynamicomp compressor effect to boost the amps drive. my CPU use on the main "kitchen sink" preset hovers around 72-75%, I've never had it go above 75.

I had been moving presets about a lot during the afternoon. I don't like it when goes wrong, because it's the only one I have, lol.

Cliff pointed out the other day that the number displayed is the average. It might look like it’s peaking at 78% but it could be swinging between a higher then a lower value.
Yes, but it's happened three times, while working fine after rebooting, and countless other times, so if the CPU randomly spiked three times out of countless opportunities, then that's a problem IMO.

As far as AC goes, the gig failure might've been power related as the show laptop had a problem that night too, which is weird as it's also rock solid, though at a separate time than the FM3?

At the studio with known power, it was the FM3 alone, and for all three fails it was on the base Scene, which runs at an indicated 73% - 74% CPU, not the highest CPU using Harmonizer Scene, which peaks at an indicated 78% - 79% CPU?

That's all I remember since it's been fine ever since.

I have had this issue also. I am not certain which specific preset but all of mine are only about 35% CPU on axefx3 turbo.

so if the CPU randomly spiked three times out of countless opportunities, then that's a problem IMO.
The CPU doesn’t randomly spike. It’s also not going to do the exact same thing every time you play, because, as I understand it, some models are more dynamic than others and the incoming signal can affect their usage.

That’s getting into the belly of the beast that only Fractal knows, and is very likely proprietary information so we may never know for sure. The information in the CPU usage page is what we’ve been able to gather from various threads.

I keep my presets on my FM3 running at a maximum of 75% CPU and it’s been stable when I play. During reworking and testing of various presets I’ve locked it up and settled on that limit because it makes sense to me. YMMV.

As far as AC goes, the gig failure might've been power related as the show laptop had a problem that night too, which is weird as it's also rock solid, though at a separate time than the FM3?
Brown-out and spikes can play havoc with electronics, and they’re going to react differently. Their power needs and what they’re doing at the moment can play into it.

At the studio with known power, it was the FM3 alone, and for all three fails it was on the base Scene, which runs at an indicated 73% - 74% CPU, not the highest CPU using Harmonizer Scene, which peaks at an indicated 78% - 79% CPU?
Blocks that are bypassed still consume CPU, because they are processing signals in anticipation of being activated. You can switch a processor-hungry block to a different channel that uses a less hungry model when you bypass the block, but that could affect trails and spillover.

That’s an apples vs. oranges comparison because of very different hardware. If you can identify a couple presets that trigger the problem then follow the process in Reporting bugs with the Axe-Fx III, FM9 or FM3. I’m sure Cliff would love to have the presets to test against.
I only had it happen the one time and didn't take note of the preset unfortunately. If it happens again I will definitely take note of the preset and post it.

I only had it happen the one time and didn't take note of the preset unfortunately. If it happens again I will definitely take note of the preset and post it.
Yes, please. That process can really help weed out bugs, and the simplification step can help weed out problems that the user caused for themselves. If, after all that, they post it there’s less of a chance of wasting Cliff’s time and being called out in public for wasting time.

I’ve torn apart presets thinking I found a bug and ended up with a simple layout then said “Oh. Nevermind!” because I’d left something enabled or had a conflicting setting.

Brown-out and spikes can play havoc with electronics, and they’re going to react differently. Their power needs and what they’re doing at the moment can play into it.

Blocks that are bypassed still consume CPU, because they are processing signals in anticipation of being activated. You can switch a processor-hungry block to a different channel that uses a less hungry model when you bypass the block, but that could affect trails and spillover.
Yes, that's what I do with the Pitch Block, Smart Harmonizer channel when used in that one Scene, a lower CPU algorithm for the other Scenes, though of course my fails were not on the CPU hungriest Smart Harmonizer Scene.

Also, my Tempo is set by averaging a bar of 1/4 notes rather than streaming MIDI Beat Clock, to lower CPU overhead.

The last data point I have is, this issue began in FW 7.x.

Last edited:
Does it show 78% specifically when you’re in the scene for the ambient effects?
I am not using scenes that much, I have a per-preset layout with mixed functionality switches—some are effects bypassing or channel switching, and others are control switches. I got a chance to re-check the preset CPU, and it oscillates between 74-76%.

Live on my stream tonight, during riders on the storm, the FM3 locked up on me. it's done this a handful of times, but this time, it made a high pitched noise too.
I quickly switched the unit off, but had to wait for it to reboot. As much as I love the fractal gear (and believe me, I really love it!) it's rare for this to happen, but I was jumbling about a bunch of presets the other day to put them in a better order. That's the only thing I changed. never normally had an issue, no problems 99.9% of the time. I suppose as it's basically a computer based system, these things are gonna happen. I'm on the latest firmware and the latest firmware for my FC-6, and FM3-Edit latest version.

very strange to get a lock up. my "main" preset, the CPU is always dead on 70%.
What did Fractal customer support said about the issue?

nothing, i sent it to Chris on here, a very cool guy, but as it's not done it since, I'm kinda brushing it under the carpet. lol.
Nothing happened to me when I loaded it but I need to still stress test it more. I have some ideas that take a lot of time at once to test.

Nothing happened to me when I loaded it but I need to still stress test it more. I have some ideas that take a lot of time at once to test.
the only thing that I did differently, was move a whole bunch of presets around on my main desktop win10 pc via FM3-edit.

when I go to stream I plug the FM3 into my laptop next to me, in case I need to made tweaks.
however I only made adjustments on the desktop PC, but... they are different FM3 Edit versions, only out by one version.

I had been playing with the pitch and synth blocks quite a bit too, I remember it making noises when it was moving the presets around. especially with the synth block presets.

What's surprising is this "controlled" squeak note that seems to direct to a coding issue in one of the blocks that triggers on certain conditions or a variable that got corrupted or not reset while doing your patch moves. If it were a CPU load issue the unit would just have stopped processing sound and show the red CPU overload indicator.

Edit : did that particular patch use the Formant block?

Last edited:
I am not using scenes that much, I have a per-preset layout with mixed functionality switches—some are effects bypassing or channel switching, and others are control switches. I got a chance to re-check the preset CPU, and it oscillates between 74-76%.
My fm3 froze just once, the cpu was about 75/76.
But I used a lot of CS per scenes and modifiers.

I suspected it was that as I realized (maybe I’m wrong) that those are not applied instantly when you change scenes but more one after another. And it may affect the cpu too much.

I re tweaked everything in a simpler way and never had a problem again.

My fm3 froze just once, the cpu was about 75/76.
But I used a lot of CS per scenes and modifiers.

I suspected it was that as I realized (maybe I’m wrong) that those are not applied instantly when you change scenes but more one after another. And it may affect the cpu too much.

I re tweaked everything in a simpler way and never had a problem again.
this may be a similar thing going on with me, pinning these things down is always the issue, wish there was a debug.txt dump file log we could download via. usb so we can just upload it somewhere on this forum and it analyses it for us.

if I was running too much stuff, then I happily hold my hands up and say "yesh, hoooman error" I'd much rather that than there be an issue hardware. which, frankly seems unlikely.

I had plenty of those when I tested the beta versions. However, the latest official firmware has been solid for me. That noise hurts if it happens when you're playing with headphones and volume slightly up. Teaches you to check the presets :) But to repeat myself, latest official has been good. No breakups in my use at all.

Back
Top Bottom